SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread

R31Nismoid

AV kunce... bought new 5.1 speaker setup.. thinking it would be a direct swap for my existing yamaha speakers... the new ones being a better model have 'bi connection' available as opposed to the old set with just the standard one pair of terminals per front speaker...

apparenty 'bi connection 'decreases modulation distortion caused by electric resistance of the cables and driving current of the speakers. Consequently, purer sound quality can be achieved'

That'll get done on my holidays...

Now the new sub...the old sub was just a direct plug in to both the sub and the amp... new sub has terminals for speaker wire connection or plug in inputs... 1 using a mono pin cable, not included of course, which connects to the 'subwoofer low pass' terminal on the amp... or using an 'audio pin cable', also not supplied, which is a 2 plug setup which goes to the 'split subwoofer' inputs on the amp....

Which of these options would give the best results?

I'm looking at you Odium.

• Like 1

bi-amped means to split the signal and run two seperate outputs to the speakers

you need an amp that supports channel a and channel b - or dual amp

my setup is like

you basically run two pairs of speaker wires to each speaker

does the amp have speaker A and Speaker B ?

given that it's a 5.1 its unlikey

does the amp have subout ?

bi-amp is better but if your amp doesnt support it, life goes on. just bridge the terminals so that the single speaker wire goes to both terminals if that makes sense

ie dont cross the wires, but merge them

bi-amped means to split the signal and run two seperate outputs to the speakers

you need an amp that supports channel a and channel b - or dual amp

my setup is like

you basically run two pairs of speaker wires to each speaker

does the amp have speaker A and Speaker B ?

given that it's a 5.1 its unlikey

does the amp have subout ?

The instructions that came with the speakers actually say you can put the 2 pairs of cables into the same terminals on the amp if only one pair of front speaker terminals is available..

yamaha_rx_v467_1.jpg

bi-amp is better but if your amp doesnt support it, life goes on. just bridge the terminals so that the single speaker wire goes to both terminals if that makes sense

ie dont cross the wires, but merge them

yeah you can split the wires, use a bridge tool and run completely seperate - from two seperate outputs

so on my stereo amp

i have channel A and channel B on the amp

Channel A goes to speakers on input #1 on the speakers

channel b goes to speakers on input #2 on the speakers

then on the amp when Channel A and B are turned on you hear normal music

if you only turn on channel a - you only hear trebble, if you only turn on B you only hear bass

Why would you ever want only treble or bass?

From what these instructions say, its not about doing that at all, just about increasing the sound quality... They're connected as normal for now, if I cbf I'll do the bi connection using the single front speaker terminal pairs, but I doubt I'll be able to hear any difference anyway.

As for the sub, the speaker wire option with my amp only having the 1 set of front speaker terminals, I'll go with the AV cable connection instead.

Your success will only determine the type of car that I buy you, not whether I buy you a car or not...I trust you'll look after it as if you had saved for it yourself

/genyparent