SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread

R31Nismoid

How would an unlisted driver be covered if they crash?

uwot? You think if you were to borrow your mates brand new VF SV6 Commodore who had full comp, drove it around the block and had an at fault accident and wrote off 2 cars, that you would then bear the burden of having to pay for 2 cars out of your own pocket?

Why would they know?

Victoria Police are NOT responsible for the Demerit Point system. That is VicRoads responsibility... The penalties the Vic Police apply are pre-described so they are just following instruction essentially.

The declaration, on the back of the fine, just fill that out and then it's not your friends problem anymore. It clearly stipulates that on the form.

I think it's just a case of you don't know what you are talking about. I don't mean that in a bad way, just that all the information is out there and you just aren't taking any notice of it.

Yeah sorry man, i now know vicroads are responsible for the demerit point system, i didnt know that in the past. Your right i dont really take notice of things like these because they dont really affect me at this point in time, if that makes sence. I just assumed since police hand out demerit point fines, they would know about them. Also we couldnt ask vicroads because they were closed, the police station was the only place open.

Yes your right about the fine, if he had filled it out then it wouldnt of been hes problem anymore. This happened many months ago, so i left out some big information.

Okay, hes friend was driving hes car. Hes friend went 40+km over the speed limit and got flashed. Im not exactly sure how many km he was over the limit, but it was somewhere in the 40s. Heres the information i left out: the fine got sent to my friends house he was renting. The problem was, my friend actually moved out of the house, he forgot to update hes address, so the fine went to hes old house, which the new owners must of thrown out or something because it wasnt their mail.

So my mates friend didnt tell him he got flashed doing 40+km over the limit, so he had no idea about all this. Anyways couple months later, my friends at my house, we call vicroads to see how long hes got left untill hes on hes full license, thats when they tell us hes accumilated too many points, therefore lost hes license. So we go down to the police station, the officer tells us how and when he lost hes license. Turns out he was driving around without a license for a few months without knowing it, lucky he didnt get caught. So the police officer tells my friend to go to vicroads first thing in the morning, since my friend didnt receive the fine in the mail, and to tell them it was hes friend driving.

Vicroads tells us he had 28 days i think it was, to fill out the form saying he didnt do it, as you said r31nismoid. Since my friend didnt actually recieve the fine, it had been long past 28 days, infact months since the fine was issued, so hes fine was months overdue. Vicroads couldnt help us because he didnt fill out the form within 28 days or however long it is. They referred us to some agency/department, honestly cant remember the name of it. Anyways they told us since its months overdue, your only chance of getting the fine in your friends name is if you both go to court, and make your friend sign a form admitting he was the one driving.

Thats pretty much the full story if you wanted to know. The fine was 6 demerit points, also because the fine was long overdue it went up in price, im not sure how much exactly he only told me it was a massive fine.

If anything here is wrong/false information, its just what ive been told by my friend, im only going by what he told me.

hope that made for an interesting read lol.

and sooo. i'm going to drive an hour to mornington pier, to toss some squid jigs for an hour, then drive back home to sleep.

off day, life's good.

dave, want me to drop by so you can have a proper look at the car?

uwot? You think if you were to borrow your mates brand new VF SV6 Commodore who had full comp, drove it around the block and had an at fault accident and wrote off 2 cars, that you would then bear the burden of having to pay for 2 cars out of your own pocket?

Maybe it's different people I know all have pretty expensive cars so they are insured to exclude people under 25 or under 30 for example from driving them my a5 is insured like that too

and sooo. i'm going to drive an hour to mornington pier, to toss some squid jigs for an hour, then drive back home to sleep.

off day, life's good.

dave, want me to drop by so you can have a proper look at the car?

yeah i be home all day

Maybe it's different people I know all have pretty expensive cars so they are insured to exclude people under 25 or under 30 for example from driving them my a5 is insured like that too

yep my insurance has this too...

It just depends on your policy. Some policies have an unlisted driver excess that costs more than the normal excess and will fk your premium up next year (if you don't have rating 1 protection), whilst others don't insure drivers who aren't on the policy. If this is the case, as the owner of a comprehensively insured vehicle, you can make a claim and the insurance company will pay out on it...but to my knowledge, they will then go after your mate for the costs.

This is one reason I don't make a habit of driving other people's vehicles, unless they A. have the former policy, B. I'm listed on their policy, or C. they are in the vehicle to be able to take the fall if you have an accident.