SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread

R31Nismoid

You can do that with a GTS-T though, to much the same degree...injectors are my only give away cause I cbf spraying them the standard colour.

Return flow IC is legal as long as you don't have a pod.

When I drove a GTR I wasn't impressed. Maybe it had been talked up or I don't hit the corners enough to justify having AWD, but having come from a well sorted GTS-T, I wouldn't pay the extra money.

You can do that with a GTS-T though, to much the same degree...injectors are my only give away cause I cbf spraying them the standard colour.

Return flow IC is legal as long as you don't have a pod.

When I drove a GTR I wasn't impressed. Maybe it had been talked up or I don't hit the corners enough to justify having AWD, but having come from a well sorted GTS-T, I wouldn't pay the extra money.

This is true, but once you start going bigger turbos (to 300kw levels) you need custom intake pipes and return flow coolers start to max out not long after 300kw in most cases. It just sucks cos anymore power than that and you're gonna get reamed by Pettet.

Also yes you're right, GOOD GTR's are very very few and far between.

Fair call

I think GTRs had a bit more value to them when GTS-T modifications weren't so available. Can make stupid power with GTS-Ts for so little cost these days...even with a RacePace tune :P

When I drove your 32R I wasn't overly impressed tbh, it felt like it had a bunch more low/mid range pull, but I still would prefer my GTST any day of the week.

Then again, since it wasn't mine and most likely not covered by insurance, there was no way I was pushing it at all. So I wouldn't have been able to feel how it performs at anything close to the limit when cornering, so 4wd vs rwd made no difference.

Unrelated;

After hail damage, front bar scrapes, bonnet chips, mismatching panel colours from previous repairs, aging paint and now a rear ender...I may be respraying the R33.

Colour suggestions?

Unrelated;

After hail damage, front bar scrapes, bonnet chips, mismatching panel colours from previous repairs, aging paint and now a rear ender...I may be respraying the R33.

Colour suggestions?

Pink with some blue and yellow bits like your avatar.

This is true, but once you start going bigger turbos (to 300kw levels) you need custom intake pipes and return flow coolers start to max out not long after 300kw in most cases.

I have seen 500kw through stock GTR pipes, cooler and airbox, and also 430kw through a gtst with a return flow cooler. I have no idea where the idea these parts don't support more power started, but they were probably trying to sell their overpriced products.

Yes, the rubber gtst intake will definitely suck shut at around 250kw but it's a simple mod to replace the intake, and painted black it is barely noticeable. I still don't know if a replacement intake is legal though, as they only seem to mention pod filters.

Technically it's an intake mod, so if combined with FMIC, then it's illegal

So you can't have intercooler pipes then.

Also, my car came with a front mount cooler, so upgrading it isn't a mod correct?

The specific rule mentions intake modifications, so I guess it depends if the officer recognises or acknowledges it as a modification.

At 270 I'm still using the standard intake pipe, but I think Chris put a spring inside there or something from memory?

The rules are only specific on intercoolers and filters, anything else doesn't seem to matter so long as sensors etc are retained.

1. Intake systems
Intake systems are designed to ensure that the correct
air/fuel ratio is available to the engine for the cleanest
burn to minimise exhaust emissions. Systems that
provide excess air or fuel can create high exhaust
emissions from the vehicle. Fuel or other hydrocarbon
vapour that escapes as evaporative emissions can lead
to the formation of photochemical smog.
Replacement air cleaners are permitted provided that
they have all connections and systems present on the
original air cleaner and operate in an identical manner.
(a) Open element or pod type air cleaners on
carburetted vehicles are not permitted.
(b) Dry element pod type air cleaners are
permitted on EFI vehicles. Oiled, oil-soaked or
fluid-treated elements are not permitted. Any
sensors integral to the original system must be
retrofitted to the same approximate location.
© Intercoolers that are larger than standard or
have a different mounting location or are added
where none were originally fitted, are permitted
only if no other changes to the intake system
have been made. In other words, you may have
a pod filter or modified/added intercooler, but
not both. Any sensors integral to the original
intercooler or intake system must be retrofitted
and be in the correct location.
Note: aftermarket turbocharging kits that
include intercoolers that have been type tested
(ADR certified) for the model vehicle are
permitted. Documentary proof must be
retained to substantiate this.
(d) Airflow meters must not be disconnected. They
may be relocated, provided they are
functionally equivalent and are in the same
approximate location.
(e) Modified or aftermarket plenum chambers or
throttle bodies are not permitted.

Did you modify the intake? Yes. It's a modification.

You are just telling yourself what you want to hear.

The law is black and white. If you make more than 1 modification to the intake, it is not legal... Black and white

Unless 4wd, as they can legally fit a turbo kit so I am told. :P

Anything is legal as far as the EPA goes, as long as you run straight gas. I would be taking my case to court if defected, as ethanol should be included along with gas (seeing the emissions are better than LPG vehicles.)