SAU Community

R33 Gts Running/idleing Rough

Povie

Hi there,

So a few weeks ago on a bit of a drive my R33 GTS started running very sloppy, it was very gutless and almost sounded like i had a lumpy cam in it or something. Also the sound out of the exhaust was very poppy and i could smell petrol as i was driving.

It was coming up to a 200k service, thought it might have been a dirty/dodgy spark plug that might have been stopping a spark to a cylinder. Its pretty obvious that only 5 out of the 6 cylinders are working.

I got a service as soon as possible, changed the spark plugs etc. Took it for a drive with my mechanic around the block and nothing, it was running great. Later that day i went for a drive to the bank and it started doing it again. Just my luck.

Now this idle/running sloppy thing only starts after the car has been warmed up an about 10-15 mins of driving (which some people have thought of that to be unusual).

I recently showed a family member who is also a mechanic. He took a quick look over it and said if its not the spark plugs, it could either be coils, leads or injectors. He also gave it a rev in neutral and after a few revs, when it hit about 5.5-6k it did a big backfire.

I would like to know of anyone who has had the same problem as mine. I have looked around at other threads and others seems to have similar problems but the question never really gets answered i suppose.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I got this problem right now im going to try the o2 sensor tomorrow and see if it helps.worship.gif

Save your energy - it won't be the O2 sensor!

I reckon it's a coil breaking down. Work out which cylinder is running crook, then swap that cylinder's coil with another coil, see if the misfire follows the coil.

Save your energy - it won't be the O2 sensor!

I reckon it's a coil breaking down. Work out which cylinder is running crook, then swap that cylinder's coil with another coil, see if the misfire follows the coil.

Blind Elk was right worship.gif ended up being my TPS.. although now that it idle great i have noticed it struggles to boost sometimes usually in 3rd gear weird ill go for a tune at Unigroup and see what they say.

good luck with your car