SAU Community

Impact Of Petrol Prices

i must not be the only person whos thinks that a " pay for what u use" system would be great..... im sick of paying for other ppls shit... not my problem, never will be.. im currently unemployed / part time and i sure as hell are not going on centrelink... ppl shouldent pay for me, i wouldent pay for them...

you obviously haven't thought it through. lets say your house is on fire. you would have to pay for the firemen to put it out. what if you don't have the money? sorry, yor get to watch your house burn to the ground. car gets stolen? you're going to have to come up with the cash before the police even take down what your rego details are. crash your car and get taken to hospital and need emergency surgery to save your life but don't have health insurance? better hope your bank balance is healthy. do some research on the american health system to get an idea of just how, errr, 'well' a user pays system works. oh and back to the car crash, if you weren't at fault, you would also have to pay the police to do up a police report in order to get your insurance money.

I agree

Local council and federal government is all we need

And it would cost us less as tax payers to more strong police the welfare syst than just hand out money to every lazy f**ker

Why isn't there a time limit on unemployment if you can find a job even a part time one after 3 months then your either not trying hard enough/don't want to work/ or too proud to work at Maccas or woolworths

this is possibly the most intelligent thing you've posted, however there is still a flaw in this. you will never get 100% employment. to even get close to it would require you to force people to move to other towns/cities for work. how would you like to lose your job, then after a few months of being unemployed get a phonecall saying that you had to move interstate to work at a maccas in some backwater town? sure that sounds like a stupid example, but for your idea to work it would have to be done.

the thing with governments is that while what they do might not seem to be the best idea, in a lot of cases it will be one of the few that actually works when put into practice. at the end of the day, someone on a low income in a user pays system probably wouldn't make enough money to pay for all the services they may use in a year, let alone living costs. having a tiered taxation system means that the wealthier people are proping up the lower income earners. if this wasn't the most user friendly option then it wouldn't be used in pretty much every country in the world.

and you'll never get rid of the state governments, so no point even thinking about it. the only way to get rid of them is for them to vote themselves out, which isn't going to happen.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah I understand that there will never be 100% employment that is impossible, if all the jobs on seek or what ever were filled we'd be close but

You can't just put some hobo in a teamleader job at telstra

But from my personal example how many more would be doing exactly the same thing I think centrelink should contact them and say we have a cornershop job in Perth for you, don't like it ok no more dole payments,

From what I understand all they have to do is turn up to an interview act uninterested and then they can tick it of on their sheet saying they went to an interview and they get another month of dole payments it's bullshit,

I've heard, not sure how true it is that in Germany a brothel work is a valid employment and if you are on unemployment for long enough and they say we have a job in a brothel available and you turn it down you get cut off,

Now if that's true why can't Australia do this obviously not to that extreme but what's wrong with being a nightfill worker or cleaner in a shopping centre, it's just people being to proud they'd rather get something for nothing

Yeah I understand that there will never be 100% employment that is impossible, if all the jobs on seek or what ever were filled we'd be close but

But from my personal example how many more would be doing exactly the same thing I think centrelink should contact them and say we have a cornershop job in Perth for you, don't like it ok no more dole payments,

From what I understand all they have to do is turn up to an interview act uninterested and then they can tick it of on their sheet saying they went to an interview and they get another month of dole payments it's bullshit,

I've heard, not sure how true it is that in Germany a brothel work is a valid employment and if you are on unemployment for long enough and they say we have a job in a brothel available and you turn it down you get cut off,

Now if that's true why can't Australia do this obviously not to that extreme but what's wrong with being a nightfill worker or cleaner in a shopping centre, it's just people being to proud they'd rather get something for nothing

could have fooled me....lol

there isn't actually that many of those jobs going around.

also you need to realise that, at a guess, 1/3 of all jobs advertised are all ready filled before the ad is even placed. from what i am aware, it is a legal requirement for the job to be advertised.

there isn't actually that many of those jobs going around.

also you need to realise that, at a guess, 1/3 of all jobs advertised are all ready filled before the ad is even placed. from what i am aware, it is a legal requirement for the job to be advertised.

Yeah that's true, they must advertise them legally but they may already have someone up for a promotion, but then that frees up a position from the promoted worker

people need to remember that they are a business, not a charity. they could charge a lot more than they are. a lot of people ignore a lot of things when comparing the price of crude oil to what it was many years ago. they think that if a barrel of crude costs the same today as it did back in 2000 then a litre of fuel should as well. they ignore the fact that all other aspects of fuel production (wages, transport costs, other ingredients) have all risen, plus inflation, so fuel will as well. fuel will never be as cheap as it was unless some massive oil field is discovered (highly unlikely).

While that is true, the rises in costs of petrol vs cost of crude isn't taking place over years, but months. I seem to recall someone mentioning it a few months ago, that over a 2-3 month period petrol had become 10% more expensive compared to the price of crude before a spike in the prices. I wouldn't say that its all manufacturing cost increases.

what i always find funny about the idea of a "user pays" system is that everyone goes on about how inefficient and horrible the government is, yet then expects that private companies in the same position wouldn't screw them over.

Edited by sneakey pete

• 4 months later...

Is anyone else worried about the ridiculously high petrol prices?

Apparently v-power near woodcroft is going to go up to $1.70/L, and my shell near me is flogging theirs off for roughly $1.65. I picked up BP Ultimate last tank for roughly $1.59 (I think) on Abbot Rd.

Put it this way, when I first bought my Skyline a year and a half ago, I was paying $70 for a full tank. Now I'm paying $79+ for my petrol, and because I've moved to a different skyline that's been abused, I'm pulling 350km/tank for that $80, meaning I'm filling up every three/four days.

And that's weak! I know someone who was going through $200 / week in petrol.

Compared to the year 2000, I'm pretty sure petrol was around 80c? $44 to fill my liner?

Now I have a freeby car my mother gave me; a Hyundai Excel she bought brand new in 2000. When I got it two years ago, I was driving this car around on a $40/week budget... driving 35-40KM a day if I didn't go out cruising with friends, or didn't drive to peoples places.

Now, I couldn't fuel this car on a $40/week budget if I drove even more like a grandma.

My fear is that the increase in petrol prices are going to have a detrimental effect on the tuner scene, causing many of the younger, aspiring car enthusiasts to opt for lightweight, petrol-saving kei-style cars. Consequently, I can see small hatches like my Hyundai, or like the Mazda 3 (which is already popular) becoming a growing sight in Sydney.

Now, I'm all for the introduction of a new scene where the cars are easy on petrol, but some of these cars are ugly and crap to modify.

I'll end my rant there, but I want to hear everyones opinions.

Resurrected...

Are we ready for the next spike? :glare:

Not really ready for the next spike :,(

This will affect grocery items and utility bills. My gf and I are planning on fixing up a garden, and I have access to several roof mount solar panels. Nothing we can do for petrol prices, it is just too big of a market to try and change.

Root cause is the devaluation of the reserve currency, one cannot simply buy more oil for less with a crap currency that looks like its going to crash and burn.

Edited by starwarz

I just waited for 1/2 an hour at my local shell for their cheap RON 98 ($1.50/L) only to find out that their entire tank has ran out... :glare:

Although I did get a good laugh at the women next to me who was so stressed to the point of bursting into tears when she found out that her RON 91 pump was empty & she has to wait in line for another pump... massive LOL was had there :closedeyes:

Drove to a local Caltex & got bum raped at $1.67/L... :wacko:

1. If they got rid of the dole what will people do for money? They will turn to crime which will cost LOTS more in the long run i.e $1,000,000 per year to keep someone in max security. Hey just look at America:)

2. Even if petrol prices DOUBLE to $3 a litre that's really only an extra what $100-150 a week (if you own a v8 for arguments sake and it takes $120 a week) if your budget is that tight them maybe you should look at alternative transport.

• 1 month later...

Fair Trading now has to investigate why 98RON fuel is so expensive compared to Regular.

Apparently the discrepancy is supposed to be 3c - not up to 16c.

Betcha FT will be a toothless tiger!

won't find shit. the oil companies will simply say that they are refining it more than they used to to give better performance, or some such crap. or they will say that since fuel prices are higher they are selling less of it so the cost of producing it vs amount sold doesn't allow it to be sold for the same price difference that it used to.

and besides, some fuel companies are still selling 95 octane premium so they have to have a bit of a price difference between the 3 fuels. not quite as much as there is, but there would need to be some sort of price difference

Just spend a week in Melbourne in a rented VW golf TSI & getting an average of 6.8L/100km...

Coming back to the Skyline is like a petrol drinking bogan.

About 40% of earning I get from my 2nd part time job is spent on petrol weekly.