SAU Community

Abc Show "wide Open Road"

GTR-N1

Heaps of yummy stuff on that show for oldies like myself.

Made me sentimental - yes...

What does it seem like to you young guys?

Tonight was #2/3 > Last episode is next Sunday at 7.30

What I saw:-

* Development of the Repco Brabham engine through the efforts of Aussie, Ron Tauranac (google him)

* Brabham dishing it out to Ferraris, Maseratis, Lotus'

* Genesis of Rallying in Oz > Great Rally cars those Peugeot 402/403s

* Filmographers trying to film off roof racks of moving vehicles without strapping

* Mini-skirts

* Fred Gibson & his wife Christine (who'll be at SAU.NSW Legends Night on 27/11/11)

* Development and Running of the Bathurst 500 with stock showroom cars

* FJs onwards > Falcons + Humbers + Minis + Datsuns + Toyotas + Fiats + Studebakers

* R&D of the Monaro GTS > HDs

* Falcon GT HO

What I heard:-

* Rock 'n Roll

* Christine Gibson giving her version of the Bathurst course as she raced it in a Mini Cooper

* Affordability in the 50s to buy a car and be 1 in 3 families who did it with 70 pounds.

Heaps of other stuff which I'll go over again since I recorded it.

I'm sorry I missed out on #1/3 last Sun.

sounds great, just got a bunch of videos from a friend at work which document the 60's and 70's era of Australian muscle cars, Bathurst etc.

any chance your 'recording' of it will be possible to grab a copy of?

:rolleyes:

sounds great, just got a bunch of videos from a friend at work which document the 60's and 70's era of Australian muscle cars, Bathurst etc.

any chance your 'recording' of it will be possible to grab a copy of?

:rolleyes:

Glad to.

Will need instructions how Pat - lol

thanks Peter, still not as good as having a copy but will go have a look.

dont have a fancy digital drive yet for the tv but i imagine it cant be that hard to plug your laptop in and transfer the file over, im guessing a USB cable would be all you need?

hate waiting for sites to 'buffer'

Jack Brabham actually had our larrikin idea for the cameras Pat. Someone asked him when he was going to retire whilst he was leading the F1 Driver' C'ship. So at the start of the next race he walked up to his car with a limp, a shuffle, his cane and a grey haired beard. Aussie humour at it's best as other drivers looked on with disgust!

This alone is a must see!

Gah, and i have to go to a hot pot thing in Chinatown!

everyone welcome btw, my numbers on my profile..looks like i will be hitting the iview website to watch these things sometime. The walking stick gag sounds like a riot, he should have used it to take off their mirrors etc while he was at it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched an ep the other day. They ommited a vital part of bathurst though leading up to the foreign cars invading...

Lol the part where the guy used to wipe his car with meat then take his stoner mates to the drive through safari was hilarious.