SAU Community

In Need Of A Car Alarm Asap!

RajiBoi

hey all,

i recently got my 34, but it has no alarm system, just the stock central locking. I went to autobarn yesterday and got told that for a Viper 5701 with full installation, it will cost me $760.

Do you reckon thats a good price? if not, where else in melbourne (preferably near dandenong or scoresby) can i get a good deal with alarms including installation.

i also want to try get the full package, which is turbo timer and remote start. (not fussed about what the remote looks like)

thanks!

Make sure the Viper 5701 meets Australian standards. The Australian standards require things like:

• All Black Wiring
  • Minimum two points of immobilisation
  • automatically/passively immobilise the vehicle approximately 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off

I believe there is also Australian Standards testing they need to undertake to meet the requirements for insurance purposes. Also note you'll not be able to use the remote start/turbo-timer features - ADR 25 requires that the normal function of the engine only occurs when the ignition lock is in the engine on position.

forget about the Viper units and forget about RS. illegal in every state and its a defect if you get caught with it.

take JRMs advice.

actually disregard her adivce. someone will take the car from underneath your nose anyway.

given that most of the viper stuff is suited for the US market and drops 1 POINT on the car the are good for wank features only.

if we are talking a THATCHAM ALARM (The old ones were 460/480XV ) they are stds approved and van do a fair bit of stuff IF installed properly.

properly to me is a full interior strip and the unit buried.

ask whoever quoted you that price if they do that :)

but i thought viper was "No.1"

im a little confused, so you guys are saying that i shouldnt and/or cant get this viper system?

Wouldnt it be by australian standards if it is sold by autobarn?

if i cant get viper, then what do u recommend i get?

I am def looking to get something with a turbo timer and preferably remote start.

The recommendation around here is Australian Standards approved. Mongoose, Cyclops, AutoWatch, etc. As long as it's AS Approved and installed properly, as Chris said above.

Viper 5701 isn't AS approved. And I don't think any alarm with a turbo timer or remote start would be AS Approved, since both are defectable in Aus. Insurance companies don't count non AS approved alarms.

Viper aren't "No. 1" in anything other than marketing. They're pretty good at that :thumbsup:

When I went looking, most of the AS Standard ones don't have any bells or whistles. They have two point immobilisation, black wire, and just do the one thing you REALLY want them to do.

Would you rather have remote start, or have the car still parked there so you can put the key in it and drive off?

Do you really need a turbo timer though? Is it that hard to let the car warm down or drive off boost for 30 seconds before you turn it off?

but i thought viper was "No.1"

im a little confused, so you guys are saying that i shouldnt and/or cant get this viper system?

Wouldnt it be by australian standards if it is sold by autobarn?

if i cant get viper, then what do u recommend i get?

I am def looking to get something with a turbo timer and preferably remote start.

thats fine. find someone that will insure you with it :)

They'll probably insure him. As far as take the premium...

It will be when something goes wrong that you'll find out what they think of the illegal alarm. Fine if car goes missing & is never seen again but if it is recovered, damaged, etc, you may not be covered

Ive installed vipers since they started making them, not one car has ever been stolen !!!! and only 1 brain died in all those years on a hornet model. Direct electronics makes some good alarms. Ive had some of the so called insurance approved alarms here and they failed !!!! or a car I bought had one , junk and huge remotes with no range.

Vipers can be insured but like everything you have to go thru great lengths to install correctly. not slap it under the steering wheel. ands a black harness doesnt stop shite. a multi layer security system and a bucket load of common sense is the way to stop crims. australian car theft is rampant way worse then LA california . the laws here dont punish harsh enough to make it stop !!!!!

for the last time who needs a turbo timer, its ghey , just sit in your car for a min longer while you gather your stuff

remote start is for snow mostly, for those of us who have enjoyed a frozen shut car door in a couple of feet of snow know how nice a toasty car is . sure you could use if for firing up your A/C but really is it worth it ?

my extremely serious alarm of choice has both, and its not hooked up

viper installs from autobarn 99% of the time wont meet standards for insurance they just dont have time alloted for it .....if your car got nicked and it was found unburned

Edited by Carbon 34

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• I did a pretty ruthless clean up before I left townsville. If it wasn't a part to suit a car I currently have it was sold or binned. I have all my stuff organised in big tubs with lids that stack from supercheap and bunnings depending on who was cheaper at the time. Parts were sorted by either chasis/motor/Fabrication/general/electrical. I have a mezzanine that's 7mx2.3m and all lives up there. Easy to access when needed and out of the way.  I also have the issue of selling and dealing with scumplace/marketbook was actually going to list stuff today but couldn't be bothered as been stuffed around too much. I generally let a few people know I want to off load stuff and people pass it on to others to contact me, generally easy sale and I'm never looking to make big dollars. Rather it gets used than go in the bin. Next clean up will be around Xmas and if doesn't go on the s15 it's going bar 2 sets of wheels. 
    • Did a little bit on the V37 today. I bought this LED kit out of the US https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/125953603618. Best I could find online but didn't look great, in the end the quality was pretty much right and it did come with locations for each light including rear number plate and a few spares. The factory owners' manual was also useful with information on where to pop each light out without damage. I prefer the LED look as I use it daily including at night and the LEDs are both brighter and the white light is easier to read with. Vanity mirror comparison, LEDs just look more modern The glove box was the only difficult one (and the only one that was previously blown.....), steps were Open glovebox 50% but not fully open Push up on bottom of the box to unclip it on both side, not screws or pins to remove Remove the top stays at an angle, right side then left, because.... Before dropping the glovebox totally, remove soft close clip on left Then, remove 7 screws to release the glovebox surround Twist the globe holder anti clock to release it from the surround In this case, the LED globe supplied was wider than factory and did not fit, so I ground down each side about 1mm then inserted it Last trick, start engine to check the LED polarity is correct, the globe only operates when the engine is running (whether the box is open or closed) I also moved the 4G booster and wifi across from the Fuga, a little frustrating as I could not find a good Accessories ACC source anywhere in the boot so I'll run a wire from the cabin next time I get a chance. Also, unlike the Fuga the external antenna wire does not quite fit between the rear windscreen and the body so I think I'll have to drill a hole in the roof to mount it. Probably not that interesting for most people so I'll just post once complete
    • Pretty sure I could do but it would need to be exported and reimported as the current import approval is race only. But in practice there are plenty of other practical reasons it can't be a road car despite their potential value these days like stripped interior looms, cage to cut out etc Nah, no mods to it other than updating the roll age to current regs. It makes about 350 (laggy) kilowatts on the N1s at 18psi which is enough to push it around the place
    • This is it, folks! Our final event of the year... The big one, you all know and love - Putty Road! It goes without saying, but this is the biggest cruise in our calendar each year! A nice long drive, with a hearty pub feed at the end! Do you need much more enticing than that!?!? So make sure you wash the car, get your cameras out, block out the calendar, and get ready! We know you're all as excited as we are, so make sure you lock in the details and date below: Date: Sunday 8th December 2024 Meet Location: Corner Windsor Road and Groves Avenue McDonald's / KFC (3 Groves Avenue, Mulgrave) Meet Time: Meet at 9:00am for a 9:30am departure Destination: The Royal Hotel, Singleton (84 George St, Singleton) Map: https://tinyurl.com/saunsw-puttyrd Itinerary: We will meet at McDonald's / KFC on Windsor road and from there will head onto Putty Road. There will be a break at the Grey Gum Cafe (8679 Putty Rd, Putty) which we should reach at approximately 11:30am. For all the Newcastle folks this will be a good point to join up. From here we will continue on to Singleton for lunch. Please remember to fill up prior to heading onto Putty Road. There will not be a fuel stop until Singleton. To those running on E85, Freedom Fuel (old United) at Vineyard on Windsor Road has started selling there. At Singleton there is a range of servo's available including BP, Shell and Caltex. There will be a lead and follow car so no one should get lost. If you would like to attend or bring others along please put your name down and a +1 as numbers will be needed prior! This is NOT a race and we will all be adhering to all road rules. If this is what you want please come to one of our many track days. This is an official SAU:NSW event and will be run under a CAMS permit. One of the things that really sets our club apart is our commitment to being true enthusiasts. When on normal roads we strive to maintain good relations with the authorities as well as the public in general. When attending one of Skylines Australia NSW events please try to: • Be aware of surrounding environment and act accordingly. • Drive courteously on the state’s roads as a true enthusiast should. • Understand how important it is to maintain the good name of SAU:NSW and thus, treat others accordingly. • Any misbehaviour will not be tolerated and you will be asked to leave. Thanks guys and hope to see you there! 
    • Back by popular demand - we're lining up another Old Pac Run! Get your cars ready for one of the best night runs on the calendar! So without any ado whatsoever, here are the details for you to save: Date: Saturday 23rd November 2024 Meet Location: Cowan Truck Stop (Pacific Motorway - Refer to Map) Meet Time: Meet at 7:30pm for a 8:00pm departure Destination: Gosford McDonald's (65 Pacific Highway, Gosford West) Map: https://tinyurl.com/saunsw-oldpac Definitely an easy one for this cruise, meet at Cowan Truck Stop and jump straight onto Old Pacific Highway! Final stop at McDonald's which has plenty of parking all around. Please be mindful of the added police presence lately so best behaviour is expected! There will be a lead and follow car so no one should get lost. If you would like to attend or bring others along please put your name down and a +1 as numbers will be needed prior! This is NOT a race and we will all be adhering to all road rules. If this is what you want please come to one of our track days. This is an official SAU:NSW event and will be run under a Motorsport Australia permit. One of the things that really sets our club apart is our commitment to being true enthusiasts. When on normal roads we strive to maintain good relations with the authorities as well as the public in general. When attending one of Skylines Australia NSW events please try to: • Be aware of surrounding environment and act accordingly. • Drive courteously on the state’s roads as a true enthusiast should. • Understand how important it is to maintain the good name of SAU:NSW and thus, treat others accordingly. • Any misbehaviour will not be tolerated and you will be asked to leave. Thanks guys and hope to see you there!