SAU Community

My 'a Dirty 1' Project

Even_Flow

Hey Fellaz,

Bought this A31 ceffy as a project for myself. It's fitted with a RB20DET and had a manual conversion already.

DSC00174-1.jpg

The car is relatively stock, just the usual mods.. Cooler(painted black), exhaust- 3" Cat back to a JUN BL muff and a pod filter. Also has Coilovers at each corner and 17" rims wearing 215/40 rubber. The previous owner said the gearbox had been rebuilt at some stage, it does feel nice and tight. It also has upgraded clutch i think because its pretty heavy under foot, not sure what type though.

Got the ceffy cheap because it was abit rough around the edge's, but nothing to bad. Interior needed some TLC and is missing a few bits, like the drivers door trim, a/c surround, passenger side vent surround and the ecu isn't mounted at all and lies on the floor so the kick panel needs to be fitted once its re-mounted. The worse thing would be the 'home' spray job, which doesnt really bother me because im a 4th year apprentice spray painter and intend on spraying it soon. The body itself is pretty straight with very minimal rust, but there is runs allll over it! lol... Looks good in photos but is bad in person when looking at the bad areas..

Another fault with the car is the wipers, rev tacho and temp gauge all dont work... Which after abit of research im lead to believe its from the RB conversion. The engine itself is out of an R32 and apparently the plugs dont line up in the loom. Me and a mate from work tried to have a fiddle with it but had no luck :( Since then ive been pointed in the direction of a fella off ns.com that i've spoke to and he's coming next week to sort it for me. :)

Apart from that i've just been trying to bring it back up to a nice standard with lttle bits here and there. So far i've bought brand new 'Monroe' bonnet struts thru CBC, $105 for the pair and they work awesome. Car ran abit rough when i got it home and noticed the coil loom had a massive cut in it (wtf), so i bought an RB25DE one and replaced it and now runs sweet. also did the spark plugs while it was apart. Rear drivers side window's regulator was buggered and the window was stuck down and after relising it was gonna be pretty hard to find a good working one, i bit the bullet and went to u-pull-it and got another f**ked one for $25 and peiced the 2 buggered items together using parts from both. Got a mate to help me and it tooks us ages, but after alot of swearing and sweating we got it done and now the window works sweeeet. Yesterday i got a mount on the exhaust that wasnt even bolted on or near mount holes for that matter, re'done. The bloke at Carline did it for $30 and now thats sweet. I love the look of roof spoilers on ceffy's so when one popped up for sale i had to grab it! it's to be fitted on the car once it gets painted.. Whats the best gear to use to make sure that sucker holds onto my rear window?? I've heard sikaflex is good? Any thoughts??

Next on my list is to do the gearbox extension housing seal and castor rod bushes, because both are f*#ked a need doing. Brakes are getting done once the electrical issue is sorted. Rotors are coming off to be machined thru a bloke at work and im changing all the pads. Any suggestions on what type to get?? I'm after some that are good for street use. Also im painting the calipers in 2pac red while they're apart. Next will be the wheels, i'm changing them from white to a nice glossy 2pac black. There in pretty bad condition with stains of some sort all over em and a few minor chips and gutter rash. I also just ordered some grey rays wheel nuts to finsh that area off. Should look good when its all back together. Then its time for a dyno tune and she should be running sweet and all ready to be driven more often...

I need to get more photos of it as it is now before i start changin stuff on it so you guys can check the progress and tell me what you think.

Cheers for the read, enjoy.

Edited by Even_Flow

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was this car down at nisscare in port adl the other week?

looks like a decent car man. do like. maybe see if ya can get a different front bar or somethin to try hide the cooler a bit more. (personal opinion)

im lookin for a roof wing for my laurel and was either gonna use sikaflex 224e i think it is.. (specifically designed for window)

or the proper 3m body moulding tape. have used both before on glass with no issues at all.

Was this car down at nisscare in port adl the other week?

looks like a decent car man. do like. maybe see if ya can get a different front bar or somethin to try hide the cooler a bit more. (personal opinion)

im lookin for a roof wing for my laurel and was either gonna use sikaflex 224e i think it is.. (specifically designed for window)

or the proper 3m body moulding tape. have used both before on glass with no issues at all.

Yeah sure was mate, it def would have been mine.

I also totally agree about the front bar mate, was butchered by the last owner... in realtion to the wing, Im pretty sure we have that stuff at work, so thats easy done.. Would euro work good, or is euor and sikaflex the same shit Black sticky stuff, lol?

I think i've decided on a colour to paint it as well. Subaru silky white looks rad, a nice three layer pearl with a nice blue flip to it.

yeah id say its the same stuff mate. black sticky stuff. but i know sikaflex in particular have different ones depending on application.

you been goin to nisscare for long? brenton is a family friend of mine. when evers theres somethin i cant figure out i always send my cars to him.

should actually go done there with the laurel one day he hasnt seen it yet haha.

yeah pearl is sick. my mates got a c33 with the factory white pearl.

you said you were a apprentice spray painter yeah?

Where do ya work from?

Good to see another white Ceffy on here. :) Sounds like it needs a bit of tidying up, as they all do, but looks pretty straight.

Looking forward to seeing how it comes along over the next weeks and months.

Just looking at the photo, are you near Bower Road?

Edited by Stang

Good to see another white Ceffy on here. :) Sounds like it needs a bit of tidying up, as they all do, but looks pretty straight.

Looking forward to seeing how it comes along over the next weeks and months.

Just looking at the photo, are you near Bower Road?

Yeah def watch this space, got big plans for it over the next 6 - 9 months.

Yeah i do live near bower mate, see me cruising??

Oh and go the white ceffy's!!!

Got some photos today with a proper camera not my phone's camera, lol...

107.jpg

106.jpg

105.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

100.jpg

Also thought i'd show you the runs on the paint job, these are the worse of the lot...

101.jpg

102.jpg

And these are the wheel n brakes before i paint them, which will be happening soon...

112.jpg

Yeeeeeeew, the wipers, temp gauge and tacho all work now!!!!!!

Simon s14 off NS.com came around a sussed the wiring out and got them all working within an hour and abit, charged me bugger all and did it on a sunday. Bloody legend!!!

So next on the list is the brakes. Got new pads for each corner with bendix pads for the fronts. Just gotta have all the brakes taken off/stripped down so i can get the rotors machined through a bloke at work dirt cheap and so i can also paint the calipers.

Then its time for a dyno, any recommendations?? Also wouldnt mind finding out if anyone elso on here has used an apexi S-AFC with an RB20det and made much extra power??

Damn they're some big runs , it takes commitment to get them like that!! , simon used to own my ceff , i'm pretty sure he has a soft spot for them :) . Don't bother with a safc , for not that much extra you can have a nistune chip installed to your ecu and tuned properly , safc don't do timing , nistune is arguably comparable to a power fc ;)

Damn they're some big runs , it takes commitment to get them like that!! , simon used to own my ceff , i'm pretty sure he has a soft spot for them :) . Don't bother with a safc , for not that much extra you can have a nistune chip installed to your ecu and tuned properly , safc don't do timing , nistune is arguably comparable to a power fc ;)

Tell me about it, i could grate cheese on them..!! Can't wait to show the boys at work!!

My mate bought the safc for his 1J JZX100 but apparently the engine recorrects the changes so you dont actually gain any power, he was gonna sell it to me for $50... Would that along with nistune gain extra power, or would the nistune cover everything the safc would add..??

Cheers for your input guys.

Edited by Even_Flow

Nistune covers the lot mate , sell the safc for profit :P

Hahaha, don't tempt me mate! Cheers for the info.

Anyone in S.A know of a good shop to install a nistune? Price's etc etc. Own experiences prefered..

Boostworx at Cavan did my cousins 33 GTS4 nistune^

They supplied a z32 ecu with the nistune board, complete tune (several dyno runs) - around $900 from memory. Excellent results.

Pretty good deal considering the other pricier options like the cost of an apex powerfc just for the unit alone, then tuning on top of that.

Yeah cool, cheers for your input fellaz.

Danny- Yeah i wont be gettin it done anytime soon. Was just enquiring about SAFC because a mate had one cheap and the topic of the nistune sorta popped up. I still have more stuff i need to do plus paint it before i search for more power. Hardly even driven it yet really.., But def keen for a nistune!! Sounds worth it.

yeah fair call mate. when/if you decide to go the nistune route, gimme a buzz and i might be able to hook somethin up for ya.

matts a cool dude and if he has the spare time is usually keen on doin an install for me.

• 2 weeks later...

- WANTED LIST -

*Interior parts in black, good codition dash(no bubbles or swelling), A/C surround, drivers door trim, passenger side vent surround, fusebox cover.

*Also need a petrol flap lock and prob cable as well.

I'm in adelaide so if your local and you have any of the above, let me know and i'll come round n check it out.

Cheers fellaz :action-smiley-069:

Edited by Even_Flow