SAU Community

Need Help Getting Parts For New Turbo

Iceman22

Hello.

Last time I was on the track the stock turbo gave up, the exhaust fan suddenly decided to disappear in the air..

So I bought a rare turbo which comes originally from Japan, it's called IHI TURBO RHC6, apparently it's the same as a APEXI RX6 turbo.

Now, the seller told me it's bolt-on turbo for the rb25det, but unfortunately it isn't. So I really don't know where I should start looking for the parts I need.

1. The exhaust side of the turbo. The flange is bigger, So I need a turbo outlet which will match.Do I need a new turbo outlet, or will a adapter be good ?

2. Not sure what's it called exactly. The stock turbo have a flange that is formed like a triangle, and the other is round, so I can not use the stock pipe.

3. The air intake is bigger, so I can not use the stock tube.

4. The water cooling pipes does not fit anymore, change to tubes ?

Would appreciate to get some help locating where It's possible to get this parts I need.

I can only find stock parts, but I guess there are some secret places I don't know off :)

Here are some pictures...

20111029_203132.jpg

Stock triangle flange, and the other circle

20111029_202957.jpg

20111029_202745.jpg

The new flange and the old gasket..

20111029_201554.jpg

Edited by Iceman22

U can get a flange cut out from some engineering shops or ring around a few turbo places and see if they have any.

The triangle one is easy. Instead of using the factory alloy elbow u need a simple silicone bend, u will have to measure the size of the turbo outlet and the size of ur matching intercooler pipe so u get the correct size silicone bend/reducer. Then u may possibly need to extend the cooler pipe so it reaches the silicone. Clamp it on and its done.

The oil and water lines- i prefer to use braided oil and water lines, i normally get them made up from pirtek, but u will need to know the threads, sizes and lengths to be made.

Google may be able to tell u what thread the apexi turbo uses.

I have bought the lines from ebay before with good results but that was for a more common garret turbo, have a look and see what ebay has to offer.

The oil return pipe that bolts under the turbo, make sure u use a hose that wont kink and restrict the oil flowing or u can blow the turbo seals

REMEMBER- u will need to get ur tune checked, more than likely u will need a tuneable ecu,

Do u know what power the apexi turbo is rated at?

Ok thanks for your information, does not look so hard when you say it..

I will not run high boost at the beginning, I will stick to 15psi until I get tune-able ecu, right now I'm using stage1 tomei ecu.

Previous owner told me it would run 20psi fine (maybe a bit more) if the engine is properly tuned, I guess it's rated around 400-450HP max.

Edited by Iceman22

It have cost me 650$ (USD) so far, it was used but in good condition, no shaft play at all.

I think it was worth it, I couldn't just buy a used stock turbo again, it wouldn't last much the way Im driving the car on the track...

A new aftermarket turbo with high quality would probably cost twice, and I can't afford that ATM...

The additional cost should not be to high to make it fit though.

Edited by Iceman22

I suspect that once you get a new dump pipe, intake, suitable oil and water lines, engine management, injectors (or an adjustable fuel reg to bump rail pressure to squeeze some more out of the stockers) you might find that something like a Hypergear or GCG hi-flow might get a better result and/or give you less headaches.