SAU Community

Clutch Or Gearbox ?

miga24

Car: R33gtst

Hey guys I need a little help here, it seems that either my clutch or gearbox is about to sh*t itself.

Recently its been a little hard putting it into gear, today was a complete sh*t fight, and don’t think its going to get better.

Ive never had a clutch problem before so I don’t know what to look for if its stuffed, it doesn’t seem to be slipping and its not sticky from gear to gear, its just extremely hard to get it into gear.

1st and reverse are the worst and the others are pretty bad, it feels almost as if im shifting gears raw without using the clutch

Also sometimes when I try to get it into 1st it makes a high pitched grinding noise.

Anyone have experience with this?? Please help, thanks guys

Depends on what broke. There's a bit of labour required to sort any of those things, and a smallish sum to buy any of the parts I listed (by smallish, I mean it won't cripple you but you'll still feel it!).

But if the clutch has outright broken (springs, rivets, etc in them can break leading to them not working properly) then you need a clutch and that will cost a few more $$.

It could still just be hydraulic - either the slave or the master not working properly, or perhaps just needing a bleed. This stuff is cheaper. But usually you feel the pedal differently when it's hydraulic.

ok i just weand and saw a friends machanic, he instantly said that my clutch has worn to sh*ts, best bet is to change it asap before any more damage.

anyone have a good heavy duty clutch?

i cant really tell man its like the clutch isnt doing much at all.

ive tried to rev match once im out of first to make it easier on the clutch and seems to be shifting smoother, im thinking its the clutch

actually no it dosnt it seems fine, ive been reading into it more

could it be bad oil? i changed it about a year ago but it was some crappy stuff looked like ordinary engine oil.

i read good things about Redline 'smurfs blood' stuff

or could it be the Synchros??

i dont want to waste money on a clutch if my one is fine

If it was cheap low grade oil then it'd be a good idea to change it anyway. Putting some Redline shockproof lightweight oil in would be a good idea, it makes shifts feel super smooth in my opinion.

I think your clutch would be fine if it's not slipping under high load.

Does the car want to creep forward with the clutch disengaged and in gear? And also does the clutch engage quickly when you just lift your foot off the floor rather than your foot coming off the floor a bit and then starting to engage? It's what is usually called the bite point, the point at which the clutch starts to engage when you lift your foot. You can adjust the clutch pedal to have the bite point close to the floor or you can adjust it back so you have to lift your foot further off the clutch pedal to engage it.

We need to know where the bite point is to help clarify the problem a bit more.

T

Edited by Dobz

i just had a verry simmalar problem fixed...

had the same issues as you, hard to get into 1st but but was alrightish after that.

turned out that my double button HD had royally f**ked over my flywheel + clutch bearings were rooted + bit of clutch wear...

was a $1400 fix but had to return to standard clutch as i couldnt afford to replace the HD at the moment.

For that i got brand new clutch, new machined flywheel and labour for the job done,

now it rides like a dream again :D

just sucks that its like driving with a feather under my left foot

ok it turned out to be the clutch, i got an Exedy HD yesterday and changet it today along with changing the gearbox oil and it works like a charm now, well at least it wasnt the gearbox or something more expensive :)

thanks for your input guys appreciate it

also i found a cheep genuine HD clutch at Mekong Auto Spares, canley vale nsw, check them out if you need a clutch and you are in sydney i suppose