SAU Community

Can A R33 Gtr Intercooler Go On A Gtst?

zachurley

Good day everyone!

I am having some issues and about to give up. I just bought an r33 GTR FMIC and was hoping to put in on my R33 GTST. After removing the bumper and looking how it would mount, it doesn't look possible. I've thought about just turning around and selling it and just buying a cheaper intercooler kit specific to the GTST. Any thoughts? I need help please!!!!!!!!!!!! I've attached a pic of what I am working with.

Thanks,

Zach

post-43218-1281474853748_thumb.jpg

Edited by zachurley

Is it just because it's not made for it? I have been checking out some FMIC's for the GTST and most don't seem to have much holding it up......Would you mount the GTR intercooler or buy one just for the GTST? Just curious cause I have never put up a front mount before.

Find someone who can weld. Improvise! Locate the core where the pipes have somewhere to go and then you just need to weld on a couple of tabs top and bottom and bolt them to something solid.Get a thinner aircond fan if necessary and cut away any non -structural bits that get in the way.

Nothing a afew zip ties can't solve... although you will need to cut a hole in the chassis on the cold side of the intercooler which might cause issues down the track if the car is defected and a full inspection required, GTRs have this hole done at the factory

Cheaper to buy a whole kit than get piping made up...

That's just been my experience though, $1000 for custom piping hot and cold side in stainless with a few things welded into the piping...

Edited by mattis96

• 1 month later...

Sorry, didn't notice you'd said passenger side. I think on GTRs the two turbo outlet pipes just go down through the same two holes that are in front of the airbox that GTSts use for the intercooler, then join under the guard before going around to the cooler inlet.

So you have custom made piping to suit a gtr cooler on a gtst? If so your set, if your trying to use gtr piping then it's more of a headache cause of the front facing plenum and the holes are in different locations meaning you will have to cut holes etc etc

Cheaper to buy a whole kit than get piping made up...

That's just been my experience though, $1000 for custom piping hot and cold side in stainless with a few things welded into the piping...

damn, the shop who did this work for you is laughing all the way to the bank.

you can get an off the shelf complete jap kit for this price.