SAU Community

Small Starting Up Proplem When Cold

RamR33

hey guys,

have a small problem when starting my car up when cold.

Just recently started that when i start the car when cold it feels like its blocking up like revs are real low and runs rough like 200/300 rpm for like 10/15 seconds and then clears up and idles normal.

As soon as car warms up it wont do it again but when it does warm up and idling normal it go back to running idling rough like its blocked or something, it be like for 30 seconds idling rough and then with a bit of revs it goes back to normal again.

Any ideas cause was thinking maybe fuel filter but not sure because mechanic said the fuel filter is new.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i too am pondering this problem too

start up when cold (tassie, under ~10°c) - 98% iac valve, rough for 5-10 secs then all good (iac decreased in %, read off an ecutalk display)

start up cold in qld - starts, sits on 1200 rpm and 98% iac for a few secs then off we go

i have taped my coilpacks with self amalgamating tape (rubbaweld) and new o2 sensor

was thinking the fuelpump or c.a.s has its hesitation and roughness wen cold but wen its warmed up to normal operating temp seems to be almost running perfect besides abit of the idle dropping 100/200 rpm lower then normal but back up after a bit of reving,sounds like fuelpump or pressure...

Ive got the very similar, if not the same problem with my car. Ive got a Series 2 R33 Rb25Det. Fairly modded, with all the bolt ons and this shit started recently.

Only happens on first cold start, car will start and bog to very low rpm then either die or fire up if I give it some throttle. If it switches off, it starts just fine second time. I had a 2nd hand GTR pump in there, so I pulled that out and put a brand new 040. No luck. I cleaned my AAC, no luck. Ive tried resetting my power fc, no luck.

I haven't tried a different AFM. I haven't tried a different CAS. I haven't tried a different water temp sensor, and it is actually very common for the water temp sensor to be causing this problem. It is also common that it could be a vacuum leak, but I have sealed up my whole intake with no change. I also get the drop in RPM when backing off, might drop a couple hundred rpm then rise up, sometimes it might stall. Ive got the stock BOV too.

I would NOT think it is the fuel pump. The fuel pump will be at most strain under full load where it wont be able to provide fuel to the engine, cause leaning and probably knock its arse off. My car runs perfect under boost. If it wasn't for this dodgy cold start, I wouldn't have any issues. Someone suggested leaky injectors but mine are brand new Nismos.

I am really leaning towards the water temp sensor. Google search Skyline or R33 won't start first time and similar search terms. You will get alot of responses with different solutions.

I am going to reset my tune again and start all over. The drop in RPM between gear changes could be too much fueling and not enough air so pulling fuel out can fix that issue.

Are you using the standard ECU?

no mate i got the greddy emange on it but like u said i got this aswell when the add ons and bolt on mods...im leaning towards the water temp sensor aswell.

what you said on yours is almost same as mine as in cold start if no accelerate it just idles around 200/300rpm and just switches off and might occasionally pick up after 5 seconds to its normal cold start revs.cant really drive it till its warmed up.

Strange when if i just drive it say after 30 secs, its ok to drive but then as the temp goes up a lil say to the first line between the rev range of 2500/3500 rpm just hold back and and can hear the from the exhaust cutting out like brrrrrrrr like trying to clear up but then after a 10 min drive and warmed up no problem wat so ever beside that idle drop a lil and sounds like the cold start again but very rough and then clears up after abit of reving....still thinking afm but could be wrong but cant be more then 3 or 4 things.....

Edited by RamR33

ive got a similar problem, car will run rough for about 0-5sec when turned after being left over night, but after that it runs fine with no problems. doesnt really bother me, doesnt seem to bother the car either besides those few seconds

• 2 weeks later...

i changed my coolant temp sensor to see if i could stop this but it did nothing.

I work at nissan so i got BRAND NEW genuine fuel pump, TPS, AAC valve , cold start regulator (one under intake manifold), O2 sensor, injectors and have also done a engine rebuild (bottom and top end and a complete genuine engine gasket set with all new genuine breather hoses). nothing fixed it, it was the only problem left.

I have had the same problems on cars that are not skylines and its always pump or injectrs or coolant temp sensor so i gave up on this ages ago when i replaced them, its the only thing wrong with my car now.

Same with me,only problem left but i just give a lil accelerator in the morning like a tap on it and all good but im getting the hesitating between 3000/4000 rpm until it hits normal operating temp then fine.....dont no if its the same problem as the cold start but seems to be happening alot wen cold and really just giving up now and just letting it fully warm up and all good.....

NGK Bcpr6es 0.8 I gapped em to 1.1 n that didn't help on that problem but ran better cause I got new coils so dnt see the point of gapping...should I try diff plugs cause alot on here use them. but had read on here saying the bcpr are for rb20?maybe oil is to thick cause I'm running 15/50 cause I'm up 2500km on this oil,,,maybe the oil taking ages to warm up?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• I did a pretty ruthless clean up before I left townsville. If it wasn't a part to suit a car I currently have it was sold or binned. I have all my stuff organised in big tubs with lids that stack from supercheap and bunnings depending on who was cheaper at the time. Parts were sorted by either chasis/motor/Fabrication/general/electrical. I have a mezzanine that's 7mx2.3m and all lives up there. Easy to access when needed and out of the way.  I also have the issue of selling and dealing with scumplace/marketbook was actually going to list stuff today but couldn't be bothered as been stuffed around too much. I generally let a few people know I want to off load stuff and people pass it on to others to contact me, generally easy sale and I'm never looking to make big dollars. Rather it gets used than go in the bin. Next clean up will be around Xmas and if doesn't go on the s15 it's going bar 2 sets of wheels. 
    • Did a little bit on the V37 today. I bought this LED kit out of the US https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/125953603618. Best I could find online but didn't look great, in the end the quality was pretty much right and it did come with locations for each light including rear number plate and a few spares. The factory owners' manual was also useful with information on where to pop each light out without damage. I prefer the LED look as I use it daily including at night and the LEDs are both brighter and the white light is easier to read with. Vanity mirror comparison, LEDs just look more modern The glove box was the only difficult one (and the only one that was previously blown.....), steps were Open glovebox 50% but not fully open Push up on bottom of the box to unclip it on both side, not screws or pins to remove Remove the top stays at an angle, right side then left, because.... Before dropping the glovebox totally, remove soft close clip on left Then, remove 7 screws to release the glovebox surround Twist the globe holder anti clock to release it from the surround In this case, the LED globe supplied was wider than factory and did not fit, so I ground down each side about 1mm then inserted it Last trick, start engine to check the LED polarity is correct, the globe only operates when the engine is running (whether the box is open or closed) I also moved the 4G booster and wifi across from the Fuga, a little frustrating as I could not find a good Accessories ACC source anywhere in the boot so I'll run a wire from the cabin next time I get a chance. Also, unlike the Fuga the external antenna wire does not quite fit between the rear windscreen and the body so I think I'll have to drill a hole in the roof to mount it. Probably not that interesting for most people so I'll just post once complete
    • Pretty sure I could do but it would need to be exported and reimported as the current import approval is race only. But in practice there are plenty of other practical reasons it can't be a road car despite their potential value these days like stripped interior looms, cage to cut out etc Nah, no mods to it other than updating the roll age to current regs. It makes about 350 (laggy) kilowatts on the N1s at 18psi which is enough to push it around the place
    • This is it, folks! Our final event of the year... The big one, you all know and love - Putty Road! It goes without saying, but this is the biggest cruise in our calendar each year! A nice long drive, with a hearty pub feed at the end! Do you need much more enticing than that!?!? So make sure you wash the car, get your cameras out, block out the calendar, and get ready! We know you're all as excited as we are, so make sure you lock in the details and date below: Date: Sunday 8th December 2024 Meet Location: Corner Windsor Road and Groves Avenue McDonald's / KFC (3 Groves Avenue, Mulgrave) Meet Time: Meet at 9:00am for a 9:30am departure Destination: The Royal Hotel, Singleton (84 George St, Singleton) Map: https://tinyurl.com/saunsw-puttyrd Itinerary: We will meet at McDonald's / KFC on Windsor road and from there will head onto Putty Road. There will be a break at the Grey Gum Cafe (8679 Putty Rd, Putty) which we should reach at approximately 11:30am. For all the Newcastle folks this will be a good point to join up. From here we will continue on to Singleton for lunch. Please remember to fill up prior to heading onto Putty Road. There will not be a fuel stop until Singleton. To those running on E85, Freedom Fuel (old United) at Vineyard on Windsor Road has started selling there. At Singleton there is a range of servo's available including BP, Shell and Caltex. There will be a lead and follow car so no one should get lost. If you would like to attend or bring others along please put your name down and a +1 as numbers will be needed prior! This is NOT a race and we will all be adhering to all road rules. If this is what you want please come to one of our many track days. This is an official SAU:NSW event and will be run under a CAMS permit. One of the things that really sets our club apart is our commitment to being true enthusiasts. When on normal roads we strive to maintain good relations with the authorities as well as the public in general. When attending one of Skylines Australia NSW events please try to: • Be aware of surrounding environment and act accordingly. • Drive courteously on the state’s roads as a true enthusiast should. • Understand how important it is to maintain the good name of SAU:NSW and thus, treat others accordingly. • Any misbehaviour will not be tolerated and you will be asked to leave. Thanks guys and hope to see you there! 
    • Back by popular demand - we're lining up another Old Pac Run! Get your cars ready for one of the best night runs on the calendar! So without any ado whatsoever, here are the details for you to save: Date: Saturday 23rd November 2024 Meet Location: Cowan Truck Stop (Pacific Motorway - Refer to Map) Meet Time: Meet at 7:30pm for a 8:00pm departure Destination: Gosford McDonald's (65 Pacific Highway, Gosford West) Map: https://tinyurl.com/saunsw-oldpac Definitely an easy one for this cruise, meet at Cowan Truck Stop and jump straight onto Old Pacific Highway! Final stop at McDonald's which has plenty of parking all around. Please be mindful of the added police presence lately so best behaviour is expected! There will be a lead and follow car so no one should get lost. If you would like to attend or bring others along please put your name down and a +1 as numbers will be needed prior! This is NOT a race and we will all be adhering to all road rules. If this is what you want please come to one of our track days. This is an official SAU:NSW event and will be run under a Motorsport Australia permit. One of the things that really sets our club apart is our commitment to being true enthusiasts. When on normal roads we strive to maintain good relations with the authorities as well as the public in general. When attending one of Skylines Australia NSW events please try to: • Be aware of surrounding environment and act accordingly. • Drive courteously on the state’s roads as a true enthusiast should. • Understand how important it is to maintain the good name of SAU:NSW and thus, treat others accordingly. • Any misbehaviour will not be tolerated and you will be asked to leave. Thanks guys and hope to see you there!