SAU Community

NZ cars $$

arao

if its been brought up before plz direct me to the post, but if it hasnt...

living in australia, im looking @ around 35-40K for a R34 GTt.

found one in NZ for 20K..

does anyone have any idea why there is such a difference in the price of cars?

also if i can be a pain in the ass, are we able to import cars from NZ to AUS? if so, will the cost of improting not be worth the trouble?

thx :>

The reason they are cheaper is because they don't have the importation taxes or the compliancing costs that we do.

It's just as much a PITA to import from NZ as it is from Japan, or from Russia, or anywhere.

LW.

If you buy a NZ new R34 you are still looking at the 30-40K price range, but any of the imports are much cheaper. When I was looking around for a skyline I was going to get a 34 but when you are looking at one for 20K it will have done around 160,000km so it was much better to get a modified 33 for less.

Looking at the range of 2nd hand Jap imports available there, I'd say NZ has a more relaxed import law. I read somewhere that the compliance cost is much less...like under $2000.

Correct me if i am wrong, from observation...NZ allows the import of vehicles that had been sold locally as well. E.g. the S14 & S15 200sx - consumers in NZ can import the S14 & S15 Silvia's?

Someone posted a R34 GTT brochure in this forum short while ago...and notice that this brochure came from Nissan dealer in NZ. - Surprise to find out that R34 GTT was available as a brand new import there.

With Oz, it is not just tryin to protect market dominated by Holden & Ford, also others like local Nissan, Toyota & others. Looking at theMarch sales figures in Saturday's motoring section in The West Australian, I'd say they are doing PRETTY darn well despite the no. of 2nd hand imported.

Overprotection just doesnt make sense to me.

You can import anything you want over here. No restrictions on models or anything, Just had to be post '96 unless the car had recorded frontal impact testing if it is pre '96. The main problem we have here though is that unlike australia cars do not hold their value due to being able to get anything you want from Japan for bugger all. I know it is possible to import and register etc an R33 GTR for around NZD 20,000.

If you buy a NZ new R34 you are still looking at the 30-40K price range, but any of the imports are much cheaper. When I was looking around for a skyline I was going to get a 34 but when you are looking at one for 20K it will have done around 160,000km so it was much better to get a modified 33 for less.

Body: Metalic Silver 2-door Coupe

Odometer: 77,500 Km

History: 1 owner, Imported

Engine: 6-cylinder 2500cc Manual

Fuel: Petrol

Number plate: BNA154

W.O.F: Expires Sep 2004

Stereo: Top factory stereo with 8" LCD screen

Features: ABS brakes

Air conditioning

Alarm

Alloy wheels

Central locking

Driver airbag

Passenger airbag

Power steering

Turbo model engine RB25DET NEO

Extremely nice vehicle to drive with a factory 280 horsepower.

Factory extras including traction control, UV cut glass, xenon crystal headlights, dual airbags etc

Top of the line alarm system.

Fully Automatic LCD Screen to control the audio system.

Meticulously kept vehicle.

this is the 20 000 dollar car.. $17300 AUD