SAU Community

Handbrake Turn R35

g35me

I went to Deca this weekend and noticed a few interesting things about the way people drive around these short technical courses. My car has blistering straight line speed but I found getting around the corners in such a big car was extremely hard. I few points to note are the amount of drifting that was done and the constant handbrake turns that were used around the corners. These two driving styles alone could win or loose the battle against your oponent.

Two things that I didnt do were any handbrake turns as I wasnt sure what the effect would be on the driveline given everything is still mechanically engaged and then suddennly the rear wheels lock up it surely can't be good considering I have no clutch. Can anyone shed any light on the subject?

The other item is that I never drifted, the VDC was in Race Mode (Not off) so there was no real way to keep the wheels spinning. Is it possible to (4 wheel) drift these cars with the VDC off?

Another thing I noticed was how bad the car aquaplanes in the wet with even slightly worn tyres. I remember the original set of bridgestone was almost as good in the wet as the dry, this was the most dissapointing part of the whole day, the lack of traction, I basically had none.

Will be tricky to get the rears to lock up as you have said.

best bet would be some really sticky front tyres, so you can use the brakes to get the car to dance around / pivot on its nose.

Will be hard to master but doable

hahaha what do you expect with toyo triple 8s, they are more of a cut street slick than the bridgestones - grooves create wet road grip

afaik even with VDC off it still brakes the wheels to a slight degree

the R35 is in no way setup for DECA style events - it's too wide, too heavy, too powerful even

did anyone take any vids of your runs? post em up boiiii

Edited by domino_z

To handbrake effectively the clutches need to disengage.

With the EMO X SST the clutches actually disengage with handbrake activation. The R35's don't do this I'm told.

It was one of the first questions I asked about the car!

Wrong kind of car for the event I'd say. It would do well on the wangs (small sections of race track at the back of the facility, for those who don't know), but on the skidpan with our layouts you need something light that can pivot on the spot. Handbrakes aren't essential, but you do need to be able to swing the car around very quickly, which I imagine to be quite a hard task with the R35 (heavy, no clutch). People have won these events in Echos/Corollas...and the Evos usually do very well on the skidpan.

Ill go back and do it again with a new set of tyres and hopefully in the dry and see if I can throw the thing around better. As the track dried out later in the afternoon around 3:30pm i could start getting some good power to the ground but they weren't timed runs at that stage.

Was this your first DECA / motorkhana style event? Second time round makes a huge difference.

Yep, first one. A little difficult to remember the course first time around as well. That video was literally my first time out.

Always is, does get easier, but even the pros miss cones and get the occasional WD. I found it easier to do skidpan stuff with a navigator...albeit kind of cheating.

Yes you can slide the R35 around all day, encourage the rear to slide on corner entry by getting the weight off the rear tyres, try lifting off or braking then turn the car with weight over the front.

Avoid excessive oversteer on corner exit, it is fun but slow. Think "point and shoot" for the R35 on this type of course.

Take a passenger who can read the course map and guide you through too.

And as everyone is saying, it is the wrong car for the job so don't expect to blow everyone away.