Ok, I'm Stumped

zebra

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My money is on that the rings aren't broken, but the ring land for the top ring has failed. Listening for where you can hear compressed air escaping from most when doing the leak down test will give you more clues. Sump, head, intake exhaust. If you hear anything in the intake or exhaust, its valves/seats. You shouldnt hear anything (or very little). If its either of the other two, combined with a bad result and its a head off/engine out deal looking for bad valves and seats, or a broken piston/rings.

Stem seal leaks will only have an effect on the cylinder when a valve is open, and have no effect at all on cylinder compression.

This is why I'm confused, you would think that a broken ring land would show up with oil on the plug and piston crown, as well as it blowing smoke under load.

It has none, it is also very quiet as I said before.

If I wasnt so poor due to it being the silly season I would've pulled the engine already, but alas I am broke, hence this thread lol

The lack of oil in the chamber tells me if it is guides/seals, than it is the exhaust side

I agree with you, but look at the JZ piston designs. They run a massive crown thickness above the top ring. If the 2nd ring and oil rings are intact then you won't get oil above the piston crown and in the combustion chamber.

old rule - If it smokes after idling its valve related, if it smokes when you accelerate its rings. You say it smokes at idle and then you rev it. This means valves, guides etc. But on a turbo car you have to add the turbo seal.

Did u try a wet test?

I bet the last owner used octane booster when he was running 2 bar the day before he sold it to u .... Well hopefully not. But he must have used booster for the plugs to look like that

• 4 months later...

ok back from the dead thread is no longer dead

Car died on me a couple of days ago, made a nice bang and stalled, but managed to get it going again so NFI what it was.

But just got back in from playing with it, popped the breather hose off and blocked the PCV...and Holy Shit cakes Batman, there be some blowby about lol

Has a nice chuff to it, so 1 or 2 clyinders are stuffed.

No idea why I'm updating this, but someone may care lol

Untitled-1.jpg