SAU Community

Carz ***t, plz help??

ok. i tried searchin...wasn't on the first two pages,

realli can't b ***t to search more, not in the mood.

Anyways. This is wot happened.

Last nite, was givin the car a good hit, a couple of good hits. Never noticed a thing wrong, until i got told there was heaps of smoke comin outta exhaust(even at idel).

Popped bonnet and there had been a huge oil surge, or blow-by woteva u call it.

like there was blow by-before, but not this much...idel was perfect and the big clouds of smoke disappears after a while, the car ran fine, all two hours to home.

hehe lucky it didn't stuff up where i was...

but anyways, so today i drove a different car to by a oil catch can, got home took out all the pipes on the inlet side, the afm, the intercooler, and decreased them all. washed n put back on. Installed the oil catch can. then decided to take it for a drive.

1st gear, boost comes on, big short whooshy whistle sound from my left side engine bay, (it wasn't my blow off value)...have no fu kin idea wot that was.

then the car struggled, boost wouldn't come on. In fact, whenever its about to make boost, seems like its being cut off or something and evenutally want to stall. the more acelerator u press the more it dies.

pushed it back home. Big clouds of black smoke again, and big smell of petrol.

scrathin head for like 20mins. all i kno its runing rich like hell and the vacumm reading is like not normal. alot more close to 0.

-unplugged AFM, and it begins to die down. so can't b dat faulty.

-changed spark plugs, still idels n blows smoke like that

-when u rev it, the blow off won't work anymore.....just the farttin sounds from air filter like as there is no after market blow off, and the return pipe is blocked.

-i had a service two days ago.

thats all i kno...

Could it be becos the oil blow by last nite, was too much n went all thru the engine? Plz dun tell me its real ***t like pistons or rings n sh!t...but if u must, how much are these things to fix?

The car start fine, revs fine, just heaps of smoke, runnin really rich, (new set of spark plugs i put in are stuffed afready)

any ideas?? plz? plz?

Thankz!!!

hmm shouldn't be the turbo then, well shouldn't. check all the piping and try testing parts from a working r33 such as afm and that sorta easy stuff. failing that, maybe a mechanic

hmmm maybe mobile mechanic ay?>?

can;t drive it anywhere!

Oh...yea...

well does anybody kno if there might be a real easy solution to it??

like maybe a sensor is fckt or sumthing?? like apart from AFM.

this sux man. cos its onli last night going home i fifgured out how to launch on bald tires. :)

PualR33.......

u said check piping.......?? Wot do u mean? like if they are connected properly n not leaking? do u kno what that big swooshy whistle thing is? the thing i was talkin about just as boost came on at 1st gear n began to stuff eveythin up??

Starts ok, idles ok - hmm weird.

If you heard a whoosh sound from the left hand side, I would be checking all the pipework from the turbo to the manifold - if a pipe has popped off, it will also cause overfueling - still, its strange that it idles ok. Low vacuum too, hmm, may be cooler pipework, may also be turbo (oil seals/turbine side). What doesnt seem to make sense here though is that oil burning in the exhaust will cause white/blue smoke - black smoke is more fuel.

Also, massive blow by??? if uyour not running big boost and big power next place is often ringlands/pistons/bore. As ringlands go, the exhaust gasses pressurise the crank case so much that the dipstick will often pop out, and cause oil to be sprayed around under the bonnet.

How do you know it is blow by, and not something else, like a turbo oil feed?

If you have degresed, try spraying kero around the engine bay, then idle the engine for a while (keep an eye on the oil level and oil pressure at ALL times while the engine is running - if it drops, shut down the engine.) Have a look around the engine bay - the kero will mean the oil tends to drip off, leaving a nice line where the oil is coming from.

Some things to try anyways - good luck I hope it is something like an cooler pipe. (the whole blow by thing has me a bit concerned though that its something to be wary of)

Oh, and if you have stuffed the engine (hope not), usually it is cheaper to just buy a new second hand one complete then rebuild the original.

hey thanks for the info steve.

I'm guessin its blowby cos alots of oil mist has been sprayed from the BOV, and when i took off all the pipes, there was a decent amount in the intercooler....

and i'm also pretty sure its black smoke, but my dip stick has never blown out.

but i'll check out the cooler pipes tomorro...couldn't b f't right now so late n stuff,

It doesn't actualli idle ok...sometimes it drops up n down around 500-600rpm...sometimes just stay at 550rpm.

oil pressure n levels are good.

just some things to ask ya...

when i degreased the pins in the AFM, does it cause damage? i've done it be4 without problems, but i used a differnet brand today, but doesn't have warnings of that sort on the can.

And how can i check if its the turbo oil feed? would i need to take it to a turbo place so they can rip it part or can u tell form the outside?

Thanks alot man

To me it has all the symptoms if a leaking intercooler pipe... check *all* the piping and make sure its on correct and all hose clamps are done up tight.

To check any oil leak, clean it, brush on kero, then run the car for a while and look for oil leaks.

For cleaning electrical contacts use either non residual brake cleaner, or an electrical contact cleaner - degreaser may leave a residue, so best not to use only that. My favourite is brake cleaner.

And fit that catch can as soon as you can:) By the time it gets to the BOV, the intercooler is doing stuff all, just warming the air;) plus all the oil and crap that is going into the cylinders is not doing you any favours. You can also block off the pcv at the same time, so all crank case gasses have to go through the catch can. Make sure the catch can is baffled or similar, otherwise they dont tend to do much.

yea man...

i got the catch can..its installed already. but i seriuosli have no fu ken idea wots the use of it. surely i can see that it'll hold all the oil, at least that won't be coming back into the engine, but the gases are still going.

It came with this plug thing, very similar to a BOV return pipe plug.

if i plug that in.....does that mean, i will use only one hose (cam covr to catch can) then use one of those little filters on the catch can? if it is like that.....i have no idea how the filter is going to fit onto the can....i've got one of those 15mm cusco cans. i dunno wots inside.

Anywways i'm hoping i just done a piss poor job puttin the pipes back on. will go n jack the car up now.....Thanks for all the help fellas. get back to ya's

hey fellas...

yea i was just cooler pipes hehe sik sik...

hmm....but where do u guys put u'r catch cans.....???

the only place i can put it with the hoses that it comes with..is behind the air filter...but it pushes the filter up n forward...so its crap.

But yea Thanks for everyones help...

really appreciated..