SAU Community

N1 Oil Pump Broke Again

hkssam

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not when to this day, there are motors leaving workshops all over the place with them.. still no issues.

And the 3 I have had since 2005 have all been fine, and are still fine.

There are at best, 20 failures (and that's being generous) in the pages here on SAU.

That won't even be 1%. Of those failures it turned out they were being limiter bashed as well in some instances...

There could be anything from the way its tuned, parts fitted, tolerances etc involved.

This guys has basically broken driving out the driveway. Something does not add up.

But Ash put all the failures around the globe including Japan and the stats add up.

Ask any decent engine builder in Japan and they will tell you that Nissan never built these for high power motors more for those going for a mild power upgrade.

Every good engine builder I've ever spoken to in Japan (a lot) have said the N1 pump is a weak link and recommend their customers to upgrade to something better usually Jun or Tomei.

Pumps fail regardless but I'd rather go with something that isn't known for breakages.

The Tomei pump is far far FAR better than the trust, greddy, jun, nitto etc pumps.

Definately worth the $$ and the lowest failure rate, I think ive read only 1 case on the net of a Tomei failing. Ive never met someone who has had one or seen one fail.

But then again, for a bit more $$ you can go external pump.

But Ash put all the failures around the globe including Japan and the stats add up.

Ask any decent engine builder in Japan and they will tell you that Nissan never built these for high power motors more for those going for a mild power upgrade.

Every good engine builder I've ever spoken to in Japan (a lot) have said the N1 pump is a weak link and recommend their customers to upgrade to something better usually Jun or Tomei.

Pumps fail regardless but I'd rather go with something that isn't known for breakages.

Well there there has to be a reason they got Reinik (now Reimax) to make gearsets for the N1 pumps used on their racecars..

Not many very fast street and circuit cars using N1 pumps in Japan.

Throw a set of Reimax gear sets in and the cost of the pump starts adding up.

Pretty sure the Nismo pumps use Reimax gears.

Reimax's pump cost pretty much same price as Tomei in Japan with the Jun pump costing less.

http://www.reimax.co...area/index.html

Not many very fast street and circuit cars using N1 pumps in Japan.

Throw a set of Reimax gear sets in and the cost of the pump starts adding up.

Pretty sure the Nismo pumps use Reimax gears.

Reimax's pump cost pretty much same price as Tomei in Japan with the Jun pump costing less.

http://www.reimax.co...area/index.html

Reimax also do gearsets for standard RB26 pumps (which is the way I will go next build as they have a little more meat on them and I don't need the 100psi @4000rpm that the N1 gives me) so cost can remain low if needed.

I really don't see the need for the 1-2k oil pumps unless you're building a 1000hp track car or something stupid and if I was going that far, I would ask my machinist to replicate the JZ oil drive setup or just go external pump.

The N1 pump on my motor currently is from 2010.

Sees 8200rpm daily. Limiter launches constantly - you name it I've done it. Add to the fact it's now done around 10,000kms as well without any issues. Track days, even 4WD circle work on skidpans. Everyone down here has seen it, no broken pump.

There are dozens upon dozens of people down in exactly the same boat making 350-400rwkw on N1 pumps on motors built in the last 2 years.

If it were the pumps fault, all these pumps would be shitting them as well, but, they aren't.

There is something else wrong here, the pump is failing basically driving out the driveway. That's not right.

And back in the day FIAT would sometimes build a car which didn't break down every second day.

Just because some come out good, doesn't mean there isn't an issue.

I have no experience with oil pumps on RBs, so am just speaking from what I have read here, but with so many apparent failures, there is likely an issue. It seems like there is quite a high failure rate on N1s which people using other brands do not suffer.

It's a bit like when SSDs first started appearing en masse a few years ago. Failure rates were up around 10-15% which was considered unacceptably high. Sure, 85-90% of people had no problems, but there was still an issue. That failure rates have drop to around 5% on most brands suggest it's being worked on.

So just because you (and others) haven't had any problems, doesn't mean there aren't any.

the main fault here is with the oil pump drive design. the overall contact patch being far too small and few, the 2JZ design with multiple splines is a far better solution as it spreads all the jack hammering effects over the whole gear not just 2-4 points on the nissan design.

2jz__drivegear.jpg

Damn it, I got excited and clicked the link and saw the price! I was hoping they would be cheaper still and would have given them a go. Might as well get the Reimax.

Didn't even realise he made them.. not a bad price but not sure I want to be the guinea pig :whistling:

http://www.spoolimports.com/billet-oil-pump-gears

if ur intrested i have a Trust pump brand new gasket and crank seal too ... u can take if for $1100 firm... but i would also try find any other possible means of the others failing b4 u install this one..

you can get thr reimax gears, but the customer support isnt there. And as i have shown, the spool ones measure up spot on, are easy to install and for what its worth, not a bad investment. Ill have this anchor on the road in a few months so ill be able to thrash the shit out of it and let you know how i go

Vs a n1... goodluck... and for $1100 also its not a bad investment..

Not has high failure rate of an N1 no. But wow so many people seeing them fail. The JUN, Trust/Greddy pumps are not worth the $$$.

For a bit more you get the Tomei pump which is a 3 piece rotating assembly design, far better than the JUN and Trust pumps.