SAU Community

SAU Anzac Cruise - Monday 26th of April 2004 (Day Cruise)

CheekyR32

I did the same Whatsisname. Replace my shockies with some new Bilsteins, then went to drop a mate off who helped me. Had a quick dorifto session in the backstreets (on a private road:)) then later realized only had the back nuts on only done up so far. Could've cried if i came to grief.....

PS - engine goes in next weekend (muahaha) :rant:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After thinking back to when my wheels last were removed I realised it wasn't the tyre dealer that was at fault in regards to my loose wheel nuts! Apologies to the business involved for the incorrect assumption.  

The last time my rear wheels were removed and refitted was when I had the rear guards rolled. There was two adults present at time (me and the guy who did the guard rolling) I did NOT refit the wheels, so that leaves one other person.....  

On a brighter note, it cost me a grand total of $16.80 for 5 new studs and $2 for one new wheel nut. Main North Nissan stock them both.  

It took me and my neighbour (apprentice mechanic at Mercedes Benz) a bit over 1hr to do the job from start to finish. We broke another stud just getting the remaining nuts off! All the studs were bent.  

Moral of the story? Always check for yourself your wheels nuts are tight whenever the wheels are refitted.   It could've been a very interesting sight... watching a 3 wheeled GTS25t @ over 200km/h

Yeh mate no shit, cos i was rite behind u and it wouldnt of been nice for both of us.

Anyway its great to hear everythin is sweet now. Ive already replaced my rear studs aswell, cos when i got the car, it came with rear spacers that had damaged the studs. So i changed them and took of spacers...

Mattr: on the cruise, it seemed matts nittos were too soft sidewalls which made cornering unstable (is that the word) or maybe the rear felt loose. Anyway ill let matt explain it but i dont think the nittos are the best for da streetz.

Yeah Dean it would've been very ugly with you and your GF wearing my 17*9 + Nitto in your laps!

Bl4ck32, I would've very pissed off with myself it I had of forgotten to do my wheel nuts up, I'm even more pissed that "someone else" did! Looking forward to how the new engine/turbo package goes mate :P Keep us informed!

Matt, as Dean mentioned - the Nittos soft sidewall makes the rear of the car "feel" unstable (probably a lot to do with having a loose wheel too!) I say "feel" because in reality the Nittos hold on very very well. I'd go as far as to say they grip as good as the 540's.

John was surprised, as he thought I was still on the 540s (I still have 540s on the front) I pushed a bit throught one corner and he said something along the lines of, "gotta love those 540s" to which I replied "they're the Nittos mate" :(

The big difference btw the two tyres is obviously the sidewall flex. It's pronounced enough to make the rear "feel" like it's moving around too much. The 540's have such a stiff sidewall (one of THE stiffest you can get!) that by going from one extreme to the other the sidewall flex is highlighted.

With ~40psi in the Nittos (I had ~34psi the other day) and tight wheel nuts I'd say it would feel much more stable.

To anyone thinking of using Nittos to go around corners, I can confirm they do actually have very impressive lateral grip, faaaar better than most normal road tyres. The fact that Nitto use the exact same tread compound and pattern for their circuit based NT555RII is proof of that.

Erica,

The "points" is the amount of cash that SAU withdraws from your bank account each time you post on the forum :( Naaa... but seriously, you gain points for each post you make. I'm guessing that these points can then be used to do things, sort of like a "frequent poster program".

Guest Miss_Nismo
Erica,

The "points" is the amount of cash that SAU withdraws from your bank account each time you post on the forum :thumbsup: Naaa... but seriously, you gain points for each post you make. I'm guessing that these points can then be used to do things, sort of like a "frequent poster program".

Doesn't that encourage pepole to post whore

Back to the topic, looked like a nice cruise. Pity my clutch decided to fail.  

Trick, perhaps organise another day one.  That route looks much better to me in the day!

day time? much better at night its hard to drive 100% during day plus cooler at night and less distractions.you just gotta do it more so whats happening sat night im confused to whether people are going cruzn or not.perhaps "M1" garages should sort something out but i dont wanna tread on anyones toes if theres a cruz already im thhere but not a massive one and me is getting new treads sot gotta bed em in :boobs: