SAU Community

Random ticking noise in engine bay

Terminal

Ok, i did a quick search for the same problem, but i couldn't find anything.

I have an odd ticking noise coming from my engine bay, it's irregular, and only happens when im idling. it's coming from the drivers side of the engine bay. i'm fairly certain i have a dodgy AFM, and my only theory is that it's playing havok with the injectors so they're turning on and off randomly or whatever injectors do at idle. the idle does jump around slightly, between 700 and 1200, but usually sits around 700 - 800. it goes away as soon as i rev it and never happens while driving. is there anything serious that could go make that noise on that side of the car? it's sort of like an electronic ticking like a solenoid going spastic.

anywho, any help appreciated.

nah oil is fine, it's an electrical ticking noise, like a solenoid clikcing on and off at random intervals. whenever my idle is playing up is when it happens. if the idle is being a good boy on that day it won't do it. that's what led me to believe possible injector problem.

Interesting... I had a ticking noise., but it happened all the time... I found it out to be the electric window switch was playing up, when i put my window down, the switch would stay partly on, and it would tick (ie a solenoid). I've figured out aslong as i make sure the switch is off after i put my window down its fine... Probably not wat ur problem is, but thought it was worth a mention.

most RB engines i've come across tick all the time ! i've been told by reliable sources that its normal, and its just the injectors (or the pump, can't remember which)

one solinoid that is fairly loud is the vvt solinoid which comes on as soon as there is movement of the throttle, your tps (throttle position sensor) could be dodgy and kicking the vvt solinoid in and out.

just a thought

this sounds like my problem, thanks dude. i'll have to get my TPS checked out.

If you have a dodgy AFM then there's a fair chance the idle's jumped because the ECU's in limp mode. Dodgy TPS shouldn't cause the idle to jump - I think the ECU resets its throttle reading when you start the car, ie it makes whatever it's reading then as 0% throttle.

I have the exact same ticking noise on my car. It's a worn lash adjuster. Nothing to worry about, just annoying. The reason it only ticks at or near idle is because that's when oil pressure is at its lowest, and if the adjuster is worn it'll return the oil more quickly than it should and so 'bleeds' itself. Think about trying to blow up a balloon with a small hole in it. If you only blow a little bit, it will stay flat. It you blow harder, so that you're putting in more air than the hole is letting out, the balloon will stay inflated.

Different oil doesn't fix it - well maybe something like 80W90 would, but that's not a good idea :rant: