SAU Community

V35 Coupe Gt Spec Rear Brace Install (With Pics)

As the title says, installed my rear GT Spec Brand Rear Brace. This does not connect to the rear struts, rather it connects directly to the Chassis (350Z style).

Install is very straight forward bar the awkward twisting for your back in the tight boot space.

Didn't intend originally to make a install thread but as I started, took pics so decided to make one to show others. I didn't take that many pics however the install is very easy..

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

17MM/12MM Open ended and ring spanner.

Socket Set (really only ended up using the 12mm Socket.

Sharp Knife.

Drill with High Tensile 8MM drill bit. Was I think $8 from Bunnings.

Vacuum/Brush to clean out the metal shards from drilling.

Flat Head screw drivers and or cowl removers.

Difficulty:

Pretty easy, hence the box doesn't come with instructions.

Step 1:

Empty boot and drop rear seat.

post-52513-0-58484700-1328437421_thumb.jpg

Step 2:

Remove the rear trim and upper trim. You can either remove the entire thing, or just enough to swing the side trim out to gain access behind it.

Step 3:

The bracket for the brace already incorporates a mounting point on the chassis. You will see it. The bottom of the mount will bolt up to it (2 bolts). It is a tight squeeze behind it to get the nut in there. What I did was put the nut in, added the mount and than slid the bolt in once lined up. Start on the furtherest side of the mount (closest to the side of the car).

Step 4:

Once the bottom of the mount is in, line it up to the chassis and drill a hole. Insert bolt/nut. Best to put the spanner on one side, and tighten with the socket. Tighten up one mount completely. Repeat the same for the other side that you do, HOWEVER, don't tighten it up or drill out yet. Put the bottom bolts in and hand tighten enough for the mount to move around a bit. Insert the brace on each side and loosely tighten. Once it is in, you can than drill out the top of the mount. This ensures a good fit as you don't want to tighten the mount only to find that the bar doesn't line up properly. There is a bit of leeway as well.

post-52513-0-03548800-1328437603_thumb.jpg

Step 5:

Once each mount is in, put trim back on and cut out to shape. My first cut wasn't that neat (left mount). You can trim it as you please. Sharp knife is really all you need, the trim isn't that thick.

post-52513-0-39411400-1328439799_thumb.jpg

Step 6:

Insert brace again and tighten. The bottom is a Allen Key i.e hexagonal bit. I tightened mine till it spun on the bottom (without holding the bottom) Once done, go for a drive. Return and re-tighten. I used pliers and tightened it as much as I can.

Step 7:

Vacuum metal shards and replace trim/carpet etc.

post-52513-0-27299100-1328437851_thumb.jpg

I will probably end up covering the holes a bit/neatening it up a bit.

Can definitely feel less flexing in the rear. The front now feels like its understeering a bit.. clearly the brace is doing its job..:whistling:

I have a front brace to put on, just have to mod the bracket a bit.

Hope this helps for anyone interested.

:thumbsup:

Edited by ka86

Does it really help cornering? Feel any difference?

Can definitely feel less flexing in the rear. The front now feels like its understeering a bit.. clearly the brace is doing its job..:whistling:

Yeah as mentioned before, can feel less flexing. You would feel more of a difference with a front brace vs rear brace however together they will make a difference with reducing flexing when cornering.

Will update once I put the front brace in. :turned: