SAU Community

R33: Rear Seat Removal

jnr_j

Skyline R33 Rear Seat Removal Pictorial Guide

You should see something like this with an obvious bolt on either side just below the base:

RSR1.jpg

Do this to both sides:

RSR2.jpg

The next step is the only tricky part. You have to pull the base of the seat up and out first, and on either side there is a metal loop stuck in a plastic type catch to hold the seat in place. One side at a time, you'll need to pull pretty much straight up around the area shown in red below. (The catch you're trying to prise free is seen below in blue). This can be hard to remove, in my experience you have to pull quite hard. You can push the middle seatbelt and buckles through the seat first to make things easier.

RSR3.jpg

You should now see something like this. Removal of the backrest is straightforward, just remove the bolt/screw on either side, slide the seatbelts on either side out of the way and then lift upwards and forwards.

RSR4.jpg

You just need to lift over the three hooks shown in red below. Remember to sit the backrest back up on these supports when you put things back in place.

RSR5.jpg

The quality back seats look something like this!

RSR6.jpg

http://users.tpg.com.au/johnkg/skyline/rea...eats/index.html

John

Good thing, except that on my '98 R33 there are two 'prongs' that go through the floorpan and are released underneath the car by undoing a clamp and squeezing the 'prongs' together then pushing them back up through the hole. These 'prongs' are accessed from under the car ie they are outside the car. I haven't done it yet, tried to get my rear seat out but put the base out in the too hard basket. I only wanted to get my backrest part out anyway, and with a bit of patience it came without the need to take the base out.

PS you can actually see the holes for the 'prongs' in your photo, you have circled them in blue.

Very nice guide!!

I pulled as hard as i could to get the seats out after i undid the bolts... no luck

so i managed (akwardly) to undo the bolts on back part of the seat without taking the bottom part out - was a biatch tho

Good thing, except that on my '98 R33 there are two 'prongs' that go through the floorpan and are released underneath the car by undoing a clamp and squeezing the 'prongs' together then pushing them back up through the hole.  These 'prongs' are accessed from under the car ie they are outside the car.  I haven't done it yet, tried to get my rear seat out but put the base out in the too hard basket.  I only wanted to get my backrest part out anyway, and with a bit of patience it came without the need to take the base out.

PS you can actually see the holes for the 'prongs' in your photo, you have circled them in blue.

hey tridentt150v, I'm pretty sure the prongs you are talking about is the white plastic bit right? Thats just the mount that holds the metal prongs in the car body - the white plasticy bit should stay in the car and the metal loop bit is what you have to lever out.

• 3 months later...
Um... i tried to remove my seats today and where you've circled the clips in blue in the third pic...well mine didn't come out quite right on the left side... the platic base that holds the clip also came out... is that bad? :s

Hmmmm! Sounds like you've just written off your car....tough eh!!

On further consideration..you might just save the day if you prise the white base off the steel loop and replace it in the hole with a bit of silicon and an abject apology :wassup:

A better way to remove the seat base...especially if its tight ..is to use a large screwdriver or prybar just inside of the black bracket and lever it up

thanks 51jay but i meant from a safety point of view. :) sounds like no biggy. Still, couldn't get the seats out so thought screw it and gave up. Will do it later when i have an urgent need to. I only really wanted to get at the base of the back windscreen cause the guy who removed the tint did a crappy job and left glue all over the window.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey nice guide. I've tried taking out the rear seats previously along with a few of my mates and we failed. We got stuck at the same point everyone else seems to, but now i know it will eventually come out ill have another go at it. I think ill just get some leverage or muscle power and lift the front of the seat up until something breaks or it comes out lol.

• 1 month later...

FOR EVERYONE:

Even easier than pulling it up by yourself and taking a while and all that strength....... is to jam a crowbar under each side and pull up, its out in two seconds!......trust me it's easier hehe

Edited by NeesaanGTS

• 11 months later...

Don't need piccies!

Bottom of rear seat has two bolts, on the side of the footwells, can't miss them)

Push the bottom-seat down around the seatbelt area, and you'll see a bolt on each side holding the back-seat in. Undo those.

Back-seat goes up to unhook, bottom seat goes forwards and up (it's hooked to the back-seat)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I need pics. i do not know exactly what exactly i need to do after un-bolting the 2 bolts at the bottom of the seats.

I need pics.

but the pics seems to be not working.

i need to remove, because I want to put a seat cover over.

Cheers.