SAU Community

My C33 Laurel

RBC33

yeah should be good when its done, as i said on a photo on facebook, why refurbish when you can replace :P

Before I respray it, i want it to be 100% mechanically, especially engine and drivetrain wise. Will probably do a dodgy repair job on the bonnet to get rego, drive it for a bit to see if anything in particular needs any attention, under normal driving and hard driving conditions and if its all running smoothly then look at a respray.

i'm hoping to do as much body work as i can myself to save on costs for the respray so that will be interesting

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically got told fusebox is facked, well not completely but to clean it ups gonna take a good 1 1/2 days which = a lot of $$ in labor. Basically advised me to find a new fusebox and loom if not the whole loom just lopped off at the guard so he doesn't have to trace everything.

Hating this car.

Urge to remove everything and buy an rb ready s13 is high

don't do that , you've gone too far with it now! , a cefiro loom would be the same or an r32 loom would have to come close?

Perfect opportunity to run a cut down loom to look super neat in the engine bay!

Yeah i know its come too far now but getting quoted 30 hours at $35 an hour + consumables plus about $200 in cables and crimps to relocate battery to boot is gonna get way to exspensive really quick

I'm assuming a cefiro loom would be identical yeah? as for r32 i dont know how much work it would need to be usable. Plugs into the under dash fusebox would be different wouldnt they?

If anyone knows of a wrecked ceffy or laurel anywhere in aus let me know. Was the wrecked one that had a bingle at QR but hes sold the fusebox and loom already

cut down loom is the way to go my mate is doing the same with his atm hole rewire and it aint costing him much if its rb20 will be same as r32 he is getting a auto elec to do it after hours may be the way to go for you get the loom run up in the engine bay not like stock where it is run under the left front gaurd just do bit by bit

Yeah the dude doing it is pretty reputable. Built some mad cars. DTP Motorsport. He did a f20c datto 1200 ute for a customer, his personal build was a sr20det 1200 ute with over 440hp.

$35/h is cheaper than another auto elec who's rate is around $40/h plus consumables. And for $35/h he's willing to do it here in backyard so it's pretty good considering he's not in his shed doing it.

And my laurel was originally a ca18i pov spec. As I said his personal recommendation was to get a fusebox at the least, as words cannot explain how f***ed this one is lol.

they mean removing any un necessary wiring , which there is plenty of . the r32 fuse box looks very similar to me , the only place there would be a difference is the dash and heater loom , i'll have a look through my parts and see if i have something that would be of use to ya :)

Thanks that would be awesome toffy.

Yeah I assumed dash loom would be different, I'm going to give Asian auto spares a call as a mate said they get ceffy front cuts in and may have a fusebox and loom kicking around

• 3 weeks later...

so did a bit of retail therapy. Ordered my greddy oil filter relocation with thermostat and my greddy oil engine block to allow me to run the relocator. RHDJAPAN had them at cheap prices. Turns out greddy has none in stock and its gonna be 2-6months before they do another run :rolleyes: But oh well i'll just have to wait for it haha cant get them anywhere else at below greddys listed price.

Then went and bought new exhaust studs to replace the 2 missing, new yokes (didn't realise there was two different sizes when i made replacement at work :closedeyes: ) new nuts and washers

EC190DD3-0B04-4674-9366-AAF9934C2C11-319

Then also ordered all my fittings + line for my oil cooler relocation. And also got stainless t bolt hose clamps and my last few silicone joiners i needed as well as my fitting for my turbo water line return.

28F21F9B-C4AF-48B4-A725-8808C308670B-319

I'm thinking about doing braided -10 to catch can and catch can to intake pipe as my new works going to do a run of new catch cans for 4x4s an I might get one made up with dash fittings for me. Dunno yet.

Hopefully if the rain pisses off for a while i might actually be able to work on it, been non stop here the last few weeks which was awesome. Been leaking slightly through the windscreen so the floor got wet. This car just keeps getting better lol. Lucky the windscreens being replaced

Edited by RBC33

Yeah I was dreading bolting my greddy plenum down then having to work around it, now I can just bolt it in with 2 bolts to hold it, get cooler pipes made then take it off and install the relocation. So much easier

• 2 months later...

Bit of an update to be followed with pics tomorrow.

Ill start with the boring stuff:

Freddy plenums bolted down with coolant lines run, oil filter relocation blocks on the motor, exhaust sides all bolted down with gaskets too, holy f**k its a mission getting to 2 of the t3 flange nuts to bolt the turbo down.

I cut the rust out of the roof sill yesterday, we kicked the window out a few weeks ago and its just been sitting and I thought no better time than the long weekend. We should be welding the new section In tomorrow, fingers crossed it doesnt rain, otherwise gonna be a bit of a mission working with half the car in the missus's dads shed.

The not so boring stuff:

body loom arrived from japan which means when I can be motivated I can sort out a huge chunk of my wiring

Also picked up a few things

firstly kriss's old ssr meshies in 16x8+27

Planning on getting the gutter rash fixed eventually and the little bend in the rear of one barrell but fitted them up yesterday and shit they look good. Which is good as I sold all my advan tri spokes for a $300 profit after only having them resprayed for a carton of beer lol

Now hunting for another pair of 5 stud ssr mesh

Picked another pair of 5 stud hubs that have drum handbrake setup but 32 gtst twin pot brakes but most importantly cables to suit a ceffy! So I finally sorted my handbrake cable issue. Niw just need to pull the hicas balljoint out of the hubs and press in my replacement bushes.

also picked up jic caster and traction rods for 150 to complete my adjustable arms, didnt need them realy but at the price why say no

And the best find, another front bar that came complete with another club s lip and clear indicators

yeah thats right im hoarding club s lips haha

Pics to come tomorrow of the repairs and ssr meshies on the laurel.

got some motivation again finally so better take advantage of it while i have it

Hahah next lip I acquire is yours danny.

im planning on a street bar and a track bar

So got my rust repair done today thanks to the help of my brother in law and his welding skills

Pics of offending rust

20130610_164953_zps040beb5f.jpg

20130610_164958_zps8c65514a.jpg

Started welding it in, did it in 2 pieces

20130610_152005_zpsba61ba7f.jpg

Ground it back, almost like new right? Lol

20130610_160447_zpscecb689b.jpg

Thats about it

Pic dump time, new bar and lip

20130610_173322_zps430f79af.jpg

Traction and caster rods

20130610_173425_zps2550731e.jpg

Manual centre console I picked up also

20130610_173344_zpsf6598421.jpg

And best of all pics on the new meshies.

Reallly need another pair, looking for 8.5s or 9s for the rear

IMG_20130608_152729_zps42f557d4.jpg

20130609_110220_zpse506d5d0.jpg