SAU Community

Driving From Brisbane To Melbourne

MrKenny

Hi guys,

It's my first time, any tips? Might be going through Newell.

Anyone want to join to make It easier? Or cruise together?

Will start on around 2 - 5 of march. Driving with my wife and she doesn't know how to drive my R33 Manual.

Thanks!

Your wife can't drive your skyline or you won't let her?? It's gonna be a very long drive with just one driver.

She can't because her license is AUTO license, and my skyline is Manual :(

if you are doing the newell I STRONGLY suggest doing it during the day. the wildlife out there WILL damage a car. its 1600 km and 23 hrs at a decent rate. its a 3 day drive doing it casually.

I did 22 hrs from canberra back up that way in Oct and lost the side of my van to a 6' grey roo.

318348_2582768611745_1330376598_33070336_1231963403_n.jpg

299710_2582778651996_1330376598_33070344_233632353_n.jpg

I just drove from melbourne to warwick. Took the Newell (POS road)...with cruise control on about 110-120 we left at 5am got there at 1am , add 2 hours for brissy.. my missus did a bit of driving but only a few hours so i could powernap..But i drive 12hrs a day for a living so Im kinda used to it.. drink a shitload of red bull..

Didnt hit any roos on the Newell but did hit foot deep water in the middle of the night doing 100, that was rather scary..there was no sign. must of been washed away :/

done the drive a few times now and personally I dont recomend the Newell at all, it may be shorter (only by about 100-150kms) but the road is absolute rubbish, potholes, no passing lanes, suicidal wildlife and you have to slow down to 50 for all the towns..

Also if you break down on the Newell your in the middle of bumf*k Idaho, which means no mechanics for just in case moments and very expensive towtrucks.

New England Hwy > Hume Hwy is a much nicer drive, you can stop in Sydney for the night or, If you back block around Sydney there is some great mtn roads.. but stay away from Lithgow (*Zombies*)

theres also a (not very good) thread about this already :thumbsup:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/377553-driving-vic-to-qld-any-is-there-any-good-stuff-to-see-on-the-way/page__hl__driving+vic+to+qld__st__20

Thanks for all the tips guys!! Appreciated it!

Just wondering how much fuel I am expecting to drive 1700kms using my R33? I just got a quote from TOLL for 500 depot to depot delivery. If plus air ticket it will be under $650 total to get me and my wife to melb with my car.

I am wondering if I drive there it will be more expensive because of fuel and motel?

unless you've done something silly to your engine and its chewing more fuel than usual, you'd probably get under 10L/100 on a highway trip. Its 170L, which is probably only 300 bucks. Just have to factor in the hotel costs ontop of that.

Lol it's not silly , I had 740cc injectors and 450hp bolt on turbo , fuel pump changed, fuel regulator etc

So it will cost a lot more fuel I think? Might be double or triple?

Well if it's double then shipping the car over is way better?

shipping your car is lame...shame on you for even thinking about it :domokun:

Why is that mate? can you explain please? i have 0 experience on this so i need as much as information as possible.

Cheers!

Why is that mate? can you explain please? i have 0 experience on this so i need as much as information as possible.

Cheers!

in all honesty cost it up. looking at what you have said I would toss it on a truck and meet the car at the depot when it landed. seems cheaper than driving it UNLESS you want to do the run for the experience and have the time to do so.

in all honesty cost it up. looking at what you have said I would toss it on a truck and meet the car at the depot when it landed. seems cheaper than driving it UNLESS you want to do the run for the experience and have the time to do so.

Yea because it would be around $650 - 700++ for FUEL , plus some motel so it is around 800.

I wanted to do the run, but think about the risk of driving at night and have no experience at all. I might pass it and toss it on the truck for $500. Unless i really have time to drive and have the money to stop for days.

All i meant by something silly was a bad tune. Unless you actually do get 20L/100km on the highway your not going to be looking at 600 bucks of fuel.Your the one who knows what your average highway fuel consumption is, your best placed to make an assessment of how to get your car down there i guess.

Iv done it in 18 hours before and worst was 26. Made the mistake of trusting my gps and it took me via sydney in peek hour. Was great getting 300km's to a tank and having a clutch that didnt disengage properly in a brand new car id just dropped 20k on. Was fun driving a 350kw car back though:P

The newell is the way to go. I normally just look at the map write down all the town names i needed to go through and drove via the roadsigns.

Iv done it in 18 hours before and worst was 26. Made the mistake of trusting my gps and it took me via sydney in peek hour. Was great getting 300km's to a tank and having a clutch that didnt disengage properly in a brand new car id just dropped 20k on. Was fun driving a 350kw car back though:P

The newell is the way to go. I normally just look at the map write down all the town names i needed to go through and drove via the roadsigns.

So how much fuel did you spend in total? what is your XX L / 100 km's ?? 350 kw i think your car is similar to mine that eat lots of fuel on normal drive, i have no idea about highway drive.

thanks

My tune was really rich. Without a cat it blew huge flames if i wanted it to. What i would do is go for a higway drive. Up to the sunny coast or down the gold coast or something. fuel up before you leave and as you get back. work out what kind of l/100km you get.

I got about 300KM / 50L so 16.66l/100 and my trip was about 1800km. used about 300 L x the price of fuel (say 1.65 as prices go up inland) equates to about $500. dont forget about maintinance, wear and tare and ur tyre usage. my current 33 gets about 9L/100 on the highway and would cost almost half the amount of fuel. its nowhere near as fun to drive though:)

may pay to get ur car tuned fully before hand. I had a 600hp gt3040r. u sure a 450hp bolt on turbo makes 350kw?

Edited by coaster

lol $500 ? my fuel cost no more than $300. my gtr was totally stock and never modded tho. $300 included shitloads of coffee too !!! lay off the gas and u will be laughin. u can only go so fast through coonabarabran, cowra and the likes anyway as there are so many roos wombats and rabbits.