SAU Community

D-A-T-S-U-N

http://news.drive.co...122566#comments

To-day's update of a 8/7/11 Article suggests that Nissan has a budget to reproduce Datsuns again.

Besides the Chinese market, I would suggest that Nissan bring back some low budget fun into motoring with a Datsun to compete against 'Toymota'

In fact I've posted such a comment for vetting, as some of you might...

So far in this morning's poll, 66% support Datsun's re-emergence.

My Q here on SAU is...

What would you like to see in a Datsun engine bay + suspension and brakes etc?

I think I would soil the front of my pants if they revived Datsun.

Imagine a modern day 1600. I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about it.

I want small (<1000kg) rwd 4 door, boxy shape and a banshee revving, quad throttle bodied, all alloy 1.6L 4 cylinder.

16 inch wheels, independent suspension at each corner, old school trailing arm out back with some geometry correction as is generally applied to 1600s now, very basic interior. Strip away as many electronics as legally possible, only two airbags.

280ishmm brakes with twin piston callipers up front and smaller single pistons out back.

R180 LSD diff, big sway bars.

Fuel tank underslung, a can of tyre goo instead of a spare and a boot mounted battery.

Chrome bumper bars, door handles and c-pillar vents. A Venetian blind in the back window.

Please Datsun, do it for me. Without doubt I would buy one on pre-order. A new 1600 is a dream come true for me.

Not sure if they could get away with the weight savings needed and still comply with modern safety requirements, without going the super expensive materials route.

Most requirements are simple sensors and an ECU capable of doing what it has to. There are no requirements for a car to have super dooper intrusion protection, 20 airbars and all that crap. The only mandatory requirement is ESC.

A 5 door Hyundai Getz weighs barely over a ton, so it's not hard to keep kerb weight down cheaply. The original 1600 (with iron blocked L16 and full sized spare) was 900kgs, so add 100kg worth of modern shit to it if you must. That should be more than enough to appease the safetycrats.

GIMMIE!

I think I would soil the front of my pants if they revived Datsun.

Imagine a modern day 1600. I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about it.

I want small (<1000kg) rwd 4 door, boxy shape and a banshee revving, quad throttle bodied, all alloy 1.6L 4 cylinder.

16 inch wheels, independent suspension at each corner, old school trailing arm out back with some geometry correction as is generally applied to 1600s now, very basic interior. Strip away as many electronics as legally possible, only two airbags.

280ishmm brakes with twin piston callipers up front and smaller single pistons out back.

R180 LSD diff, big sway bars.

Fuel tank underslung, a can of tyre goo instead of a spare and a boot mounted battery.

Chrome bumper bars, door handles and c-pillar vents. A Venetian blind in the back window.

Please Datsun, do it for me. Without doubt I would buy one on pre-order. A new 1600 is a dream come true for me.

Amen.

My dream version would be something like (obviously using modern bits and to keep it cheap):

- Small light weight sedan, coupe, ute, wagon - say roughly the dimentions of a modern Yaris sedan

- RWD

- 1.6L to 2L alloy engine with direct injection, with an option for a low boost turbo setup.

- 6 speed manual from an S15 (light weight tranny)

- 5 speed auto option with tiptronic from 350z (still keeping it light weight)

- Minimal sound insulation (keep it light and cheap), but with option for people that want it.

- All alloy components where possible and plastic to reduce weight and cost

- Front and side airbags (whatever the minimum to meet regs.)

- VDC, TCS and ABS etc... (whatever the minimum to meet regs.)

- Brakes from R34 non-turbo (aka Maxima/300zx brakes)

- R200 LSD

- Basic interior with A/C

- Manual window winders, with an option for electirc windows if people so desire

- Premium sounding 2 speaker audio setup, with Single DIN AM/FM, aux in, DAB+ and USB - no need for CD, extra speakers or subs.

- No other un-needed electrics.

New 1200 ute for me kthnx

Although in all reality we KNOW its just going to be a rebadged povo spec micra

this.

if they are doing it as a budget car range then you can rule out there being any rwd cars in the lineup.

yeah, that's why i always get amused how excited people get about cars/brands being relaunched. would make a good "what the fans think will happen / what will actually happen" meme

^ ^ ^

It still begs the question, "I wonder what that Carlos Ghosn has up his sleeve?"

A. Yes, probably to break into the Chinese/Indian market I suppose...

No one in their right mind would "expect" the car I've described, or anything similar, but it's fun to dream.

You've only got to click the link in Terry's opening post to know what to expect; a rebadged POS front drive budget mobile.

No one in their right mind would "expect" the car I've described, or anything similar, but it's fun to dream.

You've only got to click the link in Terry's opening post to know what to expect; a rebadged POS front drive budget mobile.

Yeh - true. Wishes will remain wishes...

At the same time the S chassis (S15) would be good to bring back especially since all the R&D has been done. Maybe find ways to make it cheaper/lighter and put a different shell, engine and safety features to suit. Profit!

They jam enough equipment into your typical Toyota Yaris/Mazda 2/Nissan Micra

I'd rather a pov spec RWD car anytime :cheers: