SAU Community

15 Row Grex Oil Cooler In Gtr R32 (Where To Fit)

Hi All

I got a 15 row grex oil cooler.

I trying to mount the cooler on passenger side behind the reo, but im not sure that the best way for it to collect air and to actually fit in perfectly

Can anyone here show me a pic or two of how its mounted on the GTR R32?

Help will be awesome :D

Hey man did you buy a kit made for that location or just the core? I bought one designed to go in the LHF inner guard and it came with instructions of where to mount it but I ended up mounting mine behind the grill for god knows what reason might move it yet cause now the hoses are a bit too long but here's a photo for you anyway. Hope it helps.

post-58307-0-83402000-1331704852_thumb.jpg

Also if your trying to mount it behind the reo it doesn't sound like it'll get much airflow.

I wouldn't be putting it in front of the rad...

The trust kit comes with a deflector pannel for mounting on the passenger side.

I'll be making up propper ducting to mount mine one the passenger side. Also, don't forget to vent behind the core!

Cheers

Justin

I have been wondering where to mount my oil cooler and I was thinking the passenger side in front of the wheel would be ideal (R34 with SMIC removed so it's the perfect spot), but I was worried about the length of the oil lines to and from the oil cooler.

So there is definetly no problem running oil lines that long?

:cheers:

I'll be making up propper ducting to mount mine one the passenger side. Also, don't forget to vent behind the core!

Cheers

Justin

Cheers

Justin

Why wouldn't you mount in front of the rad. much shorter lines, much better air/flow, whats the down side?

Hey man did you buy a kit made for that location or just the core? I bought one designed to go in the LHF inner guard and it came with instructions of where to mount it but I ended up mounting mine behind the grill for god knows what reason might move it yet cause now the hoses are a bit too long but here's a photo for you anyway. Hope it helps.

post-58307-0-83402000-1331704852_thumb.jpg

Also if your trying to mount it behind the reo it doesn't sound like it'll get much airflow.

any issues with oil flow/air pockets when mounting the core upside down?

i was advised against in mounting it like this for the above reasons but it will save me from making new lines.

Why wouldn't you mount in front of the rad. much shorter lines, much better air/flow, whats the down side?

i think its because some people had issues with water temp rising after it being installed.

but i reckon its a safer place to mount there than in the wheel arch as it is prone to get damaged from a stray rock or object.

I mounted mine under the headlight behind R32 GTR front bar top half of brake duct opening. Made a mesh guard to put over the side facing the wheel (no inner guard liner on that side of this car). Job done. Well, it's a power steering cooler, but it's the same size as these little oil coolers you boys are playing with.

i was advised against in mounting it like this for the above reasons but it will save me from making new lines.

i think its because some people had issues with water temp rising after it being installed.

but i reckon its a safer place to mount there than in the wheel arch as it is prone to get damaged from a stray rock or object.

Theres no issue with mounting it infront of the radiator I have mine there with a koyo rad and 30min of non stop drifting in 39 degree day and water temps never over 95 and oil never over 100 and theres also no trouble mounting it upside down or sideways whatever suits you best.

Edited by boostn0199

Line length has little effect on flow or pressure (assuming correct line size, routing, fittings and installation)... without ducting, I doubt placed infront of the rad will get better air flow, as compared to a ducted side mounted install.

The downside is... Putting a huge hot thing directly infront of your radiator! it takes up direct frontal area, heats up any air that dose get through it and the rad itself actually slows the air going through the oil cooler.

I wouldn't go mounting your core with the fittings at the bottom.... Oil coolers should be mounted on they're side with the inlet at the top.. or with both fittings facing up at a minimum.

True and true...

People do forget an increase in coolant temp costs you hp... even just a few deg makes a difference.

Theres no issue with mounting it infront of the radiator I have mine there with a koyo rad and 30min of non stop drifting in 39 degree day and water temps never over 95 and oil never over 100 and theres also no trouble mounting it upside down or sideways whatever suits you best.

What ever floats your boat....

Dosn't mean there isn't a better way?

Cheers

J

Line length has little effect on flow or pressure (assuming correct line size, routing, fittings and installation)... without ducting, I doubt placed infront of the rad will get better air flow, as compared to a ducted side mounted install.

The downside is... Putting a huge hot thing directly infront of your radiator! it takes up direct frontal area, heats up any air that dose get through it and the rad itself actually slows the air going through the oil cooler.

I wouldn't go mounting your core with the fittings at the bottom.... Oil coolers should be mounted on they're side with the inlet at the top.. or with both fittings facing up at a minimum.

True and true...

People do forget an increase in coolant temp costs you hp... even just a few deg makes a difference.

What ever floats your boat....

Dosn't mean there isn't a better way?

Cheers

J

Yeah but I wasnt the one saying that it should only be mounted one way I was stating that you can mount it in either places and it will do the job.

Line length has little effect on flow or pressure (assuming correct line size, routing, fittings and installation)... without ducting, I doubt placed infront of the rad will get better air flow, as compared to a ducted side mounted install. So would you use a sidemount intercooler ? if the flow is just as good ? The downside is... Putting a huge hot thing directly infront of your radiator! it takes up direct frontal area, heats up any air that dose get through it and the rad itself actually slows the air going through the oil cooler. I wouldn't go mounting your core with the fittings at the bottom.... Oil coolers should be mounted on they're side with the inlet at the top.. or with both fittings facing up at a minimum. True and true... People do forget an increase in coolant temp costs you hp... even just a few deg makes a difference. What ever floats your boat.... Dosn't mean there isn't a better way? Cheers J
well from experience, having a ducted cooler in the wheel arch, has nowhere near the efficiency of one up front, how can it compare, one has maybe a 100mm duct and the other has full flow of air........ and like Boostn0199, with a decent radiator, my water temp doesn't move, a lot of the GTR guys at the track (in perth at least) run them up front. If high coolant temps rob power, what do you think high oil temps do? Edited by tricstar

well from experience, having a ducted cooler in the wheel arch, has nowhere near the efficiency of one up front, how can it compare, one has maybe a 100mm duct and the other has full flow of air........ and like Boostn0199, with a decent radiator, my water temp doesn't move, a lot of the GTR guys at the track (in perth at least) run them up front. If high coolant temps rob power, what do you think high oil temps do?

If it works for you,,, great.

High oil temps create high coolant temps.... other than killing engines of course.

I doubt you ever created propper duct work if you had negative results..

My own r and d indicates a different conclusion... Swapping from infront of the rad to the wheel arch resulted in a 6 deg (average) drop in coolant temp and about the same in oil temps.

The cooler was ducted in the wheel arch with a propper exhausting outlet.

A duct in the wheel arch will recieve clean air (not warmed and partially blocked by the intercooler) and will let the air pass through the core then out again much cleaner than if there is another flow restriction (the radiator) behind it... The ducting has to be designed and built correctly.

Ontop of that, without ducting the air is most likely to go around the cooler core than though it.

This is all apart from the fact the cooler core still poses a flow restriction and a above ambient heat scource to the radiator!

Cheers

Justin

Edited by XRATED