SAU Community

Power Steering Fluid Leaking Consistently

R0yalT

Yeah as above, make sure its on the return line. Shouldnt have any issues with flow really, there shouldnt be much pressure drop through the cooler and the pump should be able to push the oil through a cooler. Remember it does push the oil back uphill when it returns to the reservoir anyway

Random plug is the power steering pressure switch. Basically tells your ECU that the power steering is active and the ECU compensates to keep the revs steady

I don't really see that being a problem (besides maybe the cooler not being in the 'coolest' place), you shouldnt have any issues with feeding oil back. The cooler (once full) is not alot different to it just being a hose. There is probably a slight amount more restriction, but seems weird that you are having issues with this setup

Weird eh? Mine runs exactly the same and it runs perfectly.

I didn't even bleed it, just started the car and turned the wheel back and forth at the same time topping up thr reservoir. Happy days, perhaps see if there's a blockage somewhere.

I've done the same setup on another car years ago, no dramas there too (although was a poster street car that never saw the track).

• 1 month later...

Matthew, I got quoted around $100 for the single power steering pipe, however I wasn't sure that was the only thing leaking.

I ended getting the entire power steering piping swapped from another R34, cost about $400 with labour.

No more leaks.

• 10 years later...
10 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Ever seen a sock on a PS reservoir in a Jap video and wondered why?

Not until I googled it, now I remember lol. Seems like it's just to clean it up. But it doesn't stop the leak, I have a leak issue though? Thinking whether I need a new bottle, surely not lol.

Fluid gets hot, expands, comes out the cap. The seal might be old, dry and cracked....but realistically, this is something that has been happening since long before the seals should be able to be considered to be old and dry and cracked.

A better PS fluid cooler is a helpful thing. I plumbed the trans cooler from an R34 into mine. Deleted the near useless loop of hardline in front of the radiator that Nissan thought would do the job.

23 hours ago, silviaz said:

Not until I googled it, now I remember lol. Seems like it's just to clean it up. But it doesn't stop the leak, I have a leak issue though? Thinking whether I need a new bottle, surely not lol.

If there's no rubber gasket you need a new cap. There should be a rubber gasket, depending on the car. If you are driving the car hard and the power steering is getting hot it will spit out of the reservoir. I have seen people tap the cap for a hose + overflow catch bottle placed somewhere that it will fit. 

9 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Fluid gets hot, expands, comes out the cap. The seal might be old, dry and cracked....but realistically, this is something that has been happening since long before the seals should be able to be considered to be old and dry and cracked.

A better PS fluid cooler is a helpful thing. I plumbed the trans cooler from an R34 into mine. Deleted the near useless loop of hardline in front of the radiator that Nissan thought would do the job.

There is no seal, that's the thing.

3 hours ago, joshuaho96 said:

If there's no rubber gasket you need a new cap. There should be a rubber gasket, depending on the car. If you are driving the car hard and the power steering is getting hot it will spit out of the reservoir. I have seen people tap the cap for a hose + overflow catch bottle placed somewhere that it will fit. 

I'm not sure if skyline's have it, I haven't been able to find info on it.

1 hour ago, silviaz said:

There is no seal, that's the thing.

Hence why I didn't dwell on the seal aspect of the discussion and talked about why it overflows and what can be done to help.

3 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Hence why I didn't dwell on the seal aspect of the discussion and talked about why it overflows and what can be done to help.

Ah right, I wasn't going to mess around and install extra crap. Surely it should work right out of the factory lol

Edited by silviaz

On 7/28/2024 at 4:02 AM, silviaz said:

Ah right, I wasn't going to mess around and install extra crap. Surely it should work right out of the factory lol

What specific car is this? I know for sure my R33 has a rubber sealing gasket on the cap. Not unusual to get a bit of seepage from it either.

There's no seal on an R34 cap, and as it just clips on, I wouldn't think that you could get it to stay put if you snuck even a 1mm piece of soft neoprene foam under there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, joshuaho96 said:

What specific car is this? I know for sure my R33 has a rubber sealing gasket on the cap. Not unusual to get a bit of seepage from it either.

Ah ok, yeah for the r34. 

13 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

There's no seal on an R34 cap, and as it just clips on, I wouldn't think that you could get it to stay put if you snuck even a 1mm piece of soft neoprene foam under there.

Is that a design fault by Nissan then?

54 minutes ago, silviaz said:

Is that a design fault by Nissan then?

No. It only typically does it when thrashed (ie on the track), or if it is overfilled, or if there is some other problem in the PS system.