SAU Community

decent drift R33

Dear All,

Just wondering if anyone out there had a rough idea what it would cost to build up a "decent" (I'll define what i call decent later) drift R33. It's great to read magazines and see what people are doing to there cars and the results they have achieved, but what is missing is how much it has cost them. I am saving HARD to buy an R33 and as soon and as i get it i hopefully will modify it up to go drifting. I was just wondering what you guys thought it would cost (not counting price of the car obviously) to do up an R33 with just, say, mild mods (front mount, exhaust, possibly high flow turbo, oil cooler (I have read this is important for drift cars), suspension, possibly brakes (is pad upgrade just enough or should further mods be applied?), better seat (if necessary) and of course shiny gear knob and little blue lights for windscreen wipers) :Bang:

ANY light you could shed on these issues would be GREATLY appreciated so i know how much to save. (that is of course unless the "light" you shed is to tell me to go do the hard work and find out myself).

I figured if ANYONE ANYWHERE would know someone here would

Thanks,

Haz

AS Above, or hand keys to me!!! :D:D;)

I have a R33, Gun metal Grey one in the next issue of HPI (Driftland invitational write up) which I was drifting with the following.

Heavy duty single plate clutch. (Think it was rated 1300kgsish???) $1100

More boost (although this is not essential, just makes life easier!) $350

FMIC $1600

Pod $came on car

Cat back zorst $came on car

Lowering springs $came on car (I have these at home, they are still in good condition and will sell to anyone that is interested)

All the rest was standard as far as I know.

I have recetly changed for strength's sake

Full Whiteline Kit $2200

Mechanically Locked diff (sucks arse in carparks)

Apexi Power FC

and some dedicated drift rims as a set of tyres doesn't seem to last too long anymore!

I think that is about it.

Really you should be able to drift a stock GTS-25t without too much trouble, you just need to be a little rougher with it to get it out there... but forunatly the r33 came standard with a handbrake... which is really usefull when power is not at it's optimum!!! ;) (or you **** up your entry!)

Hope that helps.

Dan.

The ex-JMS red R33 is for sale in Adelaide for mi $30k point. That car would be perfect to buy as it have thousands and thousands of $$$$ spent on it (over $70k i think). The car make 282rwkW on low boost (now 308rwkW i think after tuning).

If you want to save money, and have the best R33 around, buy this car :rant:

Benny Mack

drift car = damage and short life, so there's no point starting with something decent

Would be a shame to have a damaged R33, on the other hand there are plenty of crappy silvias around...

(I'm gonna cop some wrath for this :Bang: )........

drift car = damage and short life

I cant think of a better reason to start with a 33!

1 less r33 = 1 million take 1 r33's on the roads of Australia

When ur done with the 33 upgrade to a 32 or 34 lol

BTW a BIG :jk:

Hey All,

Thanks for all the advice, the reason i wanted an R33 is just coz i cant afford an R34. As for the JMS R33, damn i love that car, its so sick, i'd love to buy it, but finance is sadly lacking. I wish i had seen that post about the oran park round yesterday but i was at a mates house drinking too much beer. I only live at wollongong so i easily could have driven up for the day. ah well. thanks again i will take it all into consideration and hopefully you guys can get some vids posted of the round today

--Haz

Would be a shame to have a damaged R33, on the other hand there are plenty of crappy silvias around...
:flamed:

And it's harder to drift a land barge, whereas silvias are a lot lighter and much more easier to shift the weight position in!!!! :headspin:

• 1 year later...

the problem with 33s is they are about as expensive to mod as a gtr, unlike a silvia or r32, which are cheap as chips for most parts.

replacement parts are also more expensive and harder to come across....like headlights, taillights, things like that.

im setting my r33 up for serious drifting, but im not exactly saving up to buy the car in the first place. drifting costs money, lots of money...and you will break things. if you had the money for a 34, then buy a 33 for drift, if you have the money for a 33 then buy a 32 for drift.

cheers

Linton