SAU Community

Nistuned Z32Ecu For R33 Gtst

Plugged in my nistuned z32 ecu today which i got from Matt at nistune and the car seems to fine with it in, but the exhaust temp light on the dash is on as soon as the car is turned on.

I have a 96 gtst that I always thought was a series 2 which meant I didnt have to worry about the FICD pin on the z32 ecu being different to the s2 rb25det ecu.

Taken from the nistune website:

5) FICD output – pin 33

* Series 1 R33 only

The R33 Series 1 RB25 engine uses pin 33 for the Exhaust Overtemp Lamp on the dash.This line should be disconnected as the Z32 uses this line to drive the FICD (Fast Idle Control Device) – for idle up when aircon is on. FICD is driven seperately on the R33 Series 1 RB25 via the aircon system. Note that the R33 Series 2 RB25 does use the FICD the same as the Z32 ECU, so this modification is not required for those engines

Anyone know what might be causing the exhaust temp lamp to be coming on or If there was some series 1.5 r33's that run the series 1 ecu but have series 2 bodies etc produced in early 96 or something?

Is there anyway to tell whether its a series 1 or 2 ecu with the serial numbers on the ecu?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are u sure ur car isnt a series 1.5. R33 are tricky when it comes to z32 ecu.

Will be easy enough to sort out mitcho.

Does the car drive or is it in limp mode?

Seems to drive fine, I took it around the block and it didnt die on me or anything, but that was only a quick spin so im not sure.

How can i tell for certain what series it is? Certainly has the series 2 front bar and rear wing and a passenger side airbag that much I know...

Edited by Mitcho_7

Does it have another check engine light? On R32 the exhaust (catalyst) overtemp light is the check engine light. When it is on 100%, it is the ECU advising that there is a fualt code to be read.

Mine is on right now because the Neo ECU and engine are happy, but they're not happy that the traction control stuff is not present. Connect with Nistune, can see exactly those fault codes.

You might have a sensor fault or something rasing a code.

Does it have another check engine light?

Yeh above the cat temp light is the check engine light which isnt on.

For the time being i have dissconnect the z32 and put my r33 ecu back in, but I still want to get it sorted. I have contacted matt at nistune and he has said it seems unusual, especially if my car is a series 2 as I thought.

From what I understand only 95 R33's are S1.5, anything 96 onwards is a series 2. The S1.5 had a series 2 engine. Im about to put a z32 nistune on my S1.5, hope I dont have this issue.

Correct.

don't worry about that light it should only read a resistance value from the sensor, I haven't seen it effect anything, didnt log codes or jump maps so I just cut the sensor out and disconnected it under the passenger seat, and i didnt get the light anymore, the only thing you should note is whether you have an igniter on top of the motor, if you do series 1 if not series 2 running gear

I didnt even know I had an exhaust temp warning light.... hey wait whats this wire hanging underneath my car... snip, there we go, doesnt seem to worry me now..

try it, its fun...

don't worry about that light it should only read a resistance value from the sensor, I haven't seen it effect anything, didnt log codes or jump maps so I just cut the sensor out and disconnected it under the passenger seat, and i didnt get the light anymore, the only thing you should note is whether you have an igniter on top of the motor, if you do series 1 if not series 2 running gear

So u have had the same issue with yours?

There is different ecu mods for each model. And Matt would have modded it to series 2 as u told him.

Few Q's.

Have u tried the A/C to see if the engine idles up?

Is there an ignitor on top of motor at the back?

Yeh, I tried the a/c with the z32 plugged in but because it was cold, it was idling fairly high anyway. The car didn't die went I put on the a/c. If its a series one, the ficd is done by the a/c separately isn't it so shouldnt it work regardless?

I'll go have a look for the igniter on the engine and get a pic now.