SAU Community

Piglet's Rebuild Of His Busted Tomei 2.8

OS twins are scrub too.

The larger input shaft is nice but isn't that necessary. I had to upgrade my clutch hub which was available for my Carbonetic twin clutch. Fits good.

I don't think they can mix much but PPG 1-3 dog and 4-5 synchro (or was it 1-4 dog) was a kit I thought and is ok on the street. Big power most times need big gearbox sadly.

OS twins are scrub too.

The larger input shaft is nice but isn't that necessary. I had to upgrade my clutch hub which was available for my Carbonetic twin clutch. Fits good.

I don't think they can mix much but PPG 1-3 dog and 4-5 synchro (or was it 1-4 dog) was a kit I thought and is ok on the street. Big power most times need big gearbox sadly.

Yeah, that's what the guy I'm talking to said he could do. 1-4 dog straight and 5th helical synchro.

I need to drive one to get some sort of idea of what these dog boxes are about.

Just throw a rb20 box behind it and forget using ya front wheels, guaranteed to hold as much HP ya can throw at it :P

lol but on a serious note go the PPG 1st-4th dog and 5th helical synchro. There's honestly nothing to them. You dont have to drive them hard or abusive as so many people say, it does them no harm driving the PPG dogs softly. Ive driven one personally in a mates old r33 26/30 GTR. Was intially a little strange and kinda didnt like it but as the day went on and I got use to it, it grew on me. Although I will admitt im unsure of servicing costs. He had it 2yrs/20,000 odd km's with no hickups supporting around the 500kw mark in that time. This is probably useless info to you paul but thought id voice my opinion haha.

Now back to the BEERS! :)

http://www.rhdjapan.com/os-giken-close-gear-kit-5-speed-nissan-rb26dett-input-shaft.html

$2800 Paul, not sure what you're looking for but that's a pretty decent price.

I think I am going to do if it stays like that a little while!

As Brett said. Also, good luck getting one. A fellow member has had one on order since June I think. Delay, delay, delay.

I just got a lengthy email back from PPG. Gonna call him on Monday and organise to fly down to Adelaide and drive the different boxes. He said that the helical, synchro set will do the job but really is pushing the dog set. He owns a GTR with that box in it. Been in the car for 6 years/40,000 kms and its all sweet.

Interested to hear how it goes. I'm looking at the 6 speed PPG dog set at the moment to replace the standard getrag gear - waiting on pricing back and how customisable the ratios are.

Like you have never driven a dog box but street manners less important for me - it's already a pig on the street!

Interested to hear how it goes. I'm looking at the 6 speed PPG dog set at the moment to replace the standard getrag gear - waiting on pricing back and how customisable the ratios are.

Like you have never driven a dog box but street manners less important for me - it's already a pig on the street!

From what I can gather, I don't think they like to budge on the ratios they have on offer.

Ill sit down and work out the difference between standard 34 ratios and the PPG ratios, then throw in what they are on 4.11's.

Yeah, that's what the guy I'm talking to said he could do. 1-4 dog straight and 5th helical synchro.

I need to drive one to get some sort of idea of what these dog boxes are about.

I have one of the early 1-4 helical PPG gearsets... Good thing and once you learn to drive a non syncro box it's a lot more rewarding to drive. Plus if my missus can drive it successfully, anyone can.

OS triple is the worlds most brutal and hardest clutch to drive. I had one and was absolute rubbish.

... ba ha ha ha ha ha. Once you set the pedal height properly, it's not really that bad. I've driven much worse.

... again, if my missus can drive it in traffic... you must be doing something wrong.

Just a note on input shafts.. I opted to leave my input shaft stock. I look at it as a fusible link, as my clutch is unlikely to slip too much... so the stock shaft provides some protection to my gear set if serious shock loading occurs.

Cheers

Justin

• Like 2

I have one of the early 1-4 helical PPG gearsets... Good thing and once you learn to drive a non syncro box it's a lot more rewarding to drive. Plus if my missus can drive it successfully, anyone can.

... ba ha ha ha ha ha. Once you set the pedal height properly, it's not really that bad. I've driven much worse.

... again, if my missus can drive it in traffic... you must be doing something wrong.

Just a note on input shafts.. I opted to leave my input shaft stock. I look at it as a fusible link, as my clutch is unlikely to slip too much... so the stock shaft provides some protection to my gear set if serious shock loading occurs.

Cheers

Justin

i wish to like your post more than once

Cheers

Justin

So you reckon the dogs ain't that bad?

I've spoken to PPG the other day, damn long phone call. He is getting back to me with pricing on the straight cut synchro IF they're willing to do it.

The guy I'm dealing with has the helical dog set in his own GTR and loves it. Just need to drive one to see what the go is.

Cheers

Justin

Is your missus a race car driver?? :P
  • Like 1