SAU Community

Piglet's Rebuild Of His Busted Tomei 2.8

1 hour ago, Piggaz said:

Apparently 480 AWKW was the most power out of a 8374 awkw (out of an Evo) Scott has seen on his dyno.

Nick (3.0/8374) went 461, 24 psi

Pete (3.2/vcam/8374) went 457awkw, 25 psi tapering back to 21 psi (120,000 turbine speed).

I don't know. It's all dictated by that magic 127,000 RPM turbine speed. What will be more interesting will be the boost level that it'll need to get there. Going off the -5 setup, it went 441 at 19 psi. Realistically, I should have just left it there.  Boost level I'm gonna peg at no more then 25 psi, tapering back down. 

How does that power compare with Garrets and Precision etc on same dyno? Sounds lower than I would expect but apples with apples

39 minutes ago, SimonR32 said:

How does that power compare with Garrets and Precision etc on same dyno? Sounds lower than I would expect but apples with apples

I'd have to ask Scott, Simon. Haven't really asked to be honest. Pete did a back to back between a 6266/0.84 to a 8374/1.05 but the car was pretty ill when it arrived. Having driven that car in both setups, the 8374 belts it for the stuff you can't see on the dyno. Your assume the 6266 with its 0.84 ass end would be stronger down low, that is most definately not the case, let alone the transient stuff. 

If his car was anything to go off, the PTE needed 28 psi to make 460 kw and the EFR needed 21 psi to make 457. *Different dynos though.

A 9180 blows about 550 kw on that dyno for example before it taps out due to speed.

A Gen 2 3582R, PTE 6266 and a 8374 comparison would be awesome. But the fab work involved makes it a very expensive exercise.

2 hours ago, Piggaz said:

I'd have to ask Scott, Simon. Haven't really asked to be honest. Pete did a back to back between a 6266/0.84 to a 8374/1.05 but the car was pretty ill when it arrived. Having driven that car in both setups, the 8374 belts it for the stuff you can't see on the dyno. Your assume the 6266 with its 0.84 ass end would be stronger down low, that is most definately not the case, let alone the transient stuff. 

If his car was anything to go off, the PTE needed 28 psi to make 460 kw and the EFR needed 21 psi to make 457. *Different dynos though.

A 9180 blows about 550 kw on that dyno for example before it taps out due to speed.

A Gen 2 3582R, PTE 6266 and a 8374 comparison would be awesome. But the fab work involved makes it a very expensive exercise.

Honestly I'd have given a EFR8374 a go if it wasn't for all the fab... Instead I seem to be stuck with the 6262 (not being a bad thing) but now I'm up to 5 sets of cams that have been in the car haha

Latest better be awesome considering I've gone backwards 4 times in some way shape or form

3 hours ago, SimonR32 said:

Honestly I'd have given a EFR8374 a go if it wasn't for all the fab... Instead I seem to be stuck with the 6262 (not being a bad thing) but now I'm up to 5 sets of cams that have been in the car haha

Latest better be awesome considering I've gone backwards 4 times in some way shape or form

5 sets of cam setups? What are you chasing to warrant 5 different setups? You could have had a EFR setup with change.

5 hours ago, ActionDan said:

Here you go emoji6.png

6RGuxnN.jpg

If you look really close, almost looks exactly the same as this... bit pricey though...

IMG_3054.JPG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Piggaz said:

I really hope mine spins more than 550, be a fair bit off where I want to be. 

That speed "cap" is a pain. 

Owell only one way to find out ?

7 minutes ago, fatz said:

What happens when you pop a ic pipe at 25psi and over speed them? 

Boom? 

I doubt the boom is that inevitable, I'm fairly sure a mate had that exact thing happen on his EFR8374 drift car after he first went to one and he just lost power and his heart sunk because of the stories about overspeeding - but then realised what happened, got it sorted and carried on.  Car is still going strong.

Worth avoiding, obviously - but not necessarily immediate death.  Much the same as how you have people running around with boost leaks all over the place with stock ceramic turbo Nissans who never realised it.  I guess not having the full load on the turbo MAY take some of the edge off?

Edited by Lithium

2 minutes ago, Lithium said:

Lol!  

How is your car going?

Slowly. Motor is almost there I am told then its off for fab work before wiring and then tune.

Maybe July...

Just now, reaper said:

Slowly. Motor is almost there I am told then its off for fab work before wiring and then tune.

Maybe July...

You staying with the EFR party?

1 minute ago, Lithium said:

You staying with the EFR party?

I've gone a 6870 1.15 rear for now as I wanted over 600awkw. It looks like the 9280 will do the power I want when it is released so I plan on swapping back at that point.

I just wanna go fast

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fatz said:

What happens when you pop a ic pipe at 25psi and over speed them? 

Boom? 

I spose sensor back to ecu, if it falls out of "x" parameters then have some sort of protection in place... whatever that may be.

What am I missing with these EFRs? 

I thought you just took a look at the comp map, aimed for a decent efficiency island for your power goal, as you do with any turbo choice, and that was that?

Can't think of when I've seen people talking about turbine speed so intently with other brands. Are the EFRs particularly sensitive to overspeeding?