SAU Community

Piglet's Rebuild Of His Busted Tomei 2.8

How many boxes do you go through to find "the freak". It's a prick of a job at the best of times.

I'll pick Mick Hills stocker in and turn it down. No trackdays, no hard driving. See what's busted in mine and make a decision.

I really need to drive a dog box to see what the go is with them.

Buying a second hand box is like buying a second hand engine, always a risk so u need to make sure it's not a grenade. Buying new is ludicrously expensive.

I'll keep my eyes peeled if I come across anything.

I'm on my 3rd one in 6 years.

I just sold my broken box, the guy pulled it apart and only found a broken selector, gears were perfect.

In the 3 boxes I have never stripped a gear.

All damage was done at the track so I'd say a good cooler would go a long way.

Interesting Dave.

Although, you're RWD there is a bit of a "fuse" there.

Gotta get it out and strip it. Maybe in a few months when I get some motivation back! Haha

I couldn't imagine a dog box working that well on the street. You need to be fairly brutal with them otherwise you'll just wear them out and be up for about $5k per year in rebuilds. They just don't cop slow and steady gear changes well.

470kw will trouble a ppg too. Mine was cactus once I started pushing out over 400kw.

I couldn't imagine a dog box working that well on the street. You need to be fairly brutal with them otherwise you'll just wear them out and be up for about $5k per year in rebuilds. They just don't cop slow and steady gear changes well.

470kw will trouble a ppg too. Mine was cactus once I started pushing out over 400kw.

A helical you're referring to?

So what's the option?

I'm not keen on pulling it out every year. Forget a holinger or sequential as that would be in the same boat, would it not? OS doesn't seem upto the task (not just in my case either). R34 6 speed?

Put -9's on the car?

So what's the option?

I'm not keen on pulling it out every year. Forget a holinger or sequential as that would be in the same boat, would it not? OS doesn't seem upto the task (not just in my case either). R34 6 speed?

Put -9's on the car?

PM XRATED, he has had a helical for years now, not years of driving, but still give you an insight.

is this first hand experience or what you've heard?

So what's the option?

Put -9's on the car?

You are always going to be in a boat :P

is this first hand experience or what you've heard?

First hand.

I owned a straight cut dog engagement PPG box for about 4 years. Drove it occasionally on the street, mostly in tarmac rallies etc.

It was rebuilt/refurbished every year without fail, regardless of how it was treated. They just don't handle power as well as people say.

Paul's car will certainly stretch it's limits with 470kw on tap.

These boxes prefer to be shifted hard, the slower you engage the dog rings the more damage you do to them and the gears. It's not always apparent until you pull it down just what slow shifting (street type driving) does to the box.

I sold it and went Holinger. My Holinger is helical, not sure if they all are. It's quieter and easier to drive at any speed without doing damage as a result.

I rebuilt my Holinger pre WTAC and parts alone was $5k! Nothing's cheap or bullet proof when you're chasing big power unfortunately.

There's no simple answer, other than keep saving your hard earned....

PJs Helical dog has had one dog ring changed in all the time he has had the box in his car.

75% is street driving plus countless 10,9 and 8 sec passes.

His car hooks better than most AWD :)