SAU Community

C34 Wheel Chatter When Parking

Dont know if anyone else has had this problem but when im pulling tight turns at low speeds (like 10km or slower) the wheels are chattering as-if the 4wd button is engaged (though not as extreme as fully locked center diff) im pretty sure its the attessa being partially engaged.. The fluid is topped up by the way, and 4WD system works when its supposed to..

Any ideas?

when you say the wheels are chattering, do you mean

- the wheels are skipping or chirping on the road (like a locked diff would) or

- you can hear / feel a clicking/clunking sound that gets louder the further you turn from centre ?

I would guess your front CV joint/s are the issue at this point. The only reason you notice it at low speed is because thats when you turn alot sharper than at high speed.

Jack up the front end and have a good look at the front driveshafts to the wheels, Check the CV Boot (the rubber cover protecting the CV Joint) on the inner and outer of both shafts. If the boots are cracked or split, you know grime and water goes in, and grease comes out. Eventually chewing out the CV joint.

If the attessa kicks in, you will notice it instantly on your torque split gauge. do you have one of them ?

not chattering like a lock diff, you can just feel it through the sterring but no sound coming from the tires..

Jezboosted, I think you might be onto something in suggesting the front cv's, The previous owner had replaced the boots before i bought the car so that would explain it.. ill jack it up on the weekend and inspect.. probably not worth replacing them unless they get noisey..

And no the snow button / center lock is definately disengaged,

If your car is very low, the CV boots will keep splitting as the angle of the CV gets pretty high. At high angles, the CV boot is obviously compressed one side, stretched on the other. As the wheel rotates, the rubber is constantly getting compressed and stretched fatiguing it.

I actually had a clunky CV joint aswell and i could feel it in the steering wheel at low speeds cornering sharp. I cleaned it as best as i could while being on the car, span the wheel slowly and dripped "roil" onto it. Packed it full of grease and the problem went away the next day. I have put Roil into every oil containing orifice in the stagea. That shit is liquid awesomeness. Now i am not saying it will fix your issue, but it solved mine. That was 2 years ago, problem never returned.

Edited by Jezboosted