SAU Community

R34 Gtr Afm Or Coilpack Issue?

K33P UP

hey guys,

I seem to be having a strange issue with my R34 GTR, at first I thought it was coil packs so i pulled them out and couldn’t see a problem with them (looked for cracks)

The problem is intermittent and has a couple of problems which I feel are related to something.

Problems:

- Car is stuttering between 3K RMP and 4K, after it hits 4K the car revs smoothly. I can hear the stutter through the pod filters... almost sounds like the BOV is stuttering or something...

- Sometimes when I put the foot down to 100% throttle the Boost, Revs and speed do not change and just sit there...

could it be coil packs or AFM? I haven’t really started looking yet.. I think ill first clean the AFM, anyone got some cleaning tips?

Cheers,

Dom

I had a similar problem which was fuel cut at high revs with black smoke , then eventually became misfire intermitently !

You should take the pods off and spray the AFMs with carbie cleaner , clean pods as well .

Then if problem continues as mine did , replace Coilpacks , i got some genuine Nissan packs for $236 a set , or you can get splitfires , this should help .

Visually looking at the coilpacks does not really say anything , mine looked perfect externally but were stuffed at 65,000 km .

Hope this helps !! :rolleyes:

Don't use carby cleaner on AFMs!

Why not , does carbie cleaner leave a residue ?

K33P UP , i would have a good look at your AFMs , no power after 3k rpm could be a dry soldering joint inside your AFM .

Theres plenty info on this problem on SAU

Edited by NISSAN GTR

thanks guys, ill take a look. if i cant use carby cleaner what else is good to clean the AFM?

i guess if it keep happening after the clean i might buy new AFM first and work my way to coil packs.. sometimes it drives fine for a few days but then plays up for days..

I also have a red ( ! ) in the cluster sometimes and only goes away when the speed goes back down to either below 20kmph or 0.... even if i drive and the light comes on i drop the car into neutral to put the revs back to 1,000 rpm... related maybe? or could that be a problem with ABS? as its the same light as the hand brake

Super cheap auto have a MAF/airflow sensor cleaner spray. Use that to hose out the sensors.

Before you go buying coil packs, I'd suggest pressure testing the intake system from the twin turbo pipe to the intake manifold. If you have a lose clamp or split hose somewhere you'll find it. The miss could be simple over-fueling as a result of an air leak.

You mentioned you could hear the BOV stuttering through your pods? this sounds like what happened to mine and it ended up being the o2 sensors.

This was after I swapped the spark plugs and cleaned the AFM's Still a good idea to clean the AFM's like people already mentioned though.

See my report here:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/43095-o2-sensor/page__view__findpost__p__5672340