SAU Community

Help! Bent Valves Or Bad Tune?

Im having massive issues with a new motor, at the moment the engine is incredibly hard to start, back fires through the intake and is building boost from free reving below 3000rpm. RB30det with a GT35/40 1.06 rear housing.

When the engine was being put back together i poored some oil on top of the cylinders to lubricate the cylinders before bolting the head on. i did the cam timing while the engine was still in the car and while i checked it multiple times i ended up with the crank two teeth out with the cams spot on.

The engine was difficault to turn over, and i foolishly used the starter motor to get it to crank over in the end, i didnt make any funny noises, concerned i wouldnt know if any real damage was done till it was ready to start.

Other issues include the engines tune, i am not a tuner and ive attempted to resize the RB25 base map on the z32 nistune ecu to suit the z32 afm and 875cc injectors. If anyone has a base map i could try that would be fantastic.

Please help, thank you

Engine specs:.

RB30 bottom end, standard

RB25 VCT head

Stock cams

Standard low mount turbo manifold, BA XR6 turbo (gt35/40 1.06rear housing)

8.3:1 compression ratio

Manual trans

Z32 nistune ecu

Gready plenum, 875cc siemins injectors

z32 afm

FMIC

PULP fuel

if you're timing belt is out two teeth of course it isn't going to run properly.

Something will be horribly retarded or advanced.

If its backfiring through the intake then definitely a timing issue....

Its booked in for a tune, however in the meantime while its being painted it would be nice if the boys were able to run it between sheds. Should i not be concerned as to why its running like a dog? I like to nut these issues out, and im simply throwing money away, and potentially the tuner if i take it in running like this.