SAU Community

Tried Safeway 98...check Engine Light...

MaddehZ

hey guys, just need some advice here.

backstory:

few weeks ago put in a full tank of 98 safeway petrol

drove ~10kms to mates place, stopped car for 5 mins, started again...engine ran rough as hell which made the whole car rumble...engine light came on

babied it to a petrol station and put in some octane booster http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Fuel_Treatments/Pro-Strength_Octane_Booster/#.T74fL8Uya70

drove around for an hour, turned off car and turned it back on...light went off and car was smooth again.

next day, driving along and 2kms in orange engine light comes on again, car is rumbly like before...

figured alwell, must be the fuel...tank of 98 will help flush it out...

3 full tanks of bp ultimate later....light is still on and engine isnt running as smooth as before (not AS rumbly though)

100,000km service coming up as well...how do i fix this problem ?!

btw getting 370kms out of a full tank compared to a bit above 500 before

cheers, all help is greatly appreciated

What mods?

Have you checked your plugs for fouling?

Is there black smoke out the back?

oops lol forgot to even mention its an r34 gtv non turbo

no engine mods, no black smoke...havent checked plugs, what should i look out for ?

This may be stupid but check the coilpacks I did the same thing only used 95 from 7/11 :s

There's a tute on how to check it or if you have ecutalk cable :)

Oxygen sensor probably needs changing by the sound of the fuel economy (I'm guessing that's what the engine light is indicating).

You need to get the error codes from the ECU: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/266512-reading-nissan-fault-codes-ecu-fault-codes-how-read-them/

It's possible the safeway 98 is dirty or their 98 tank was and blocked up the fuel filter (though it wouldn't trigger the engine light unless 34's have a fuel pressure sensor I'm not aware of).. heck you might have even filled up right after a tanker came and stirred up all the crap on the bottom.