SAU Community

Thinking Of Buying An R35...key Differences Between My09, 10, 11 & 12?

Marko R1

It would interesting to know how many GTR owners actually drive their car to it's full potential. You see alot for sale with very low klm's, nearly 3 years old, never tracked and never launched. With the $70k they they get hammered in depreciation it would be way cheaper to hire one once a month for a weekend! As they say some people just have more money then sense!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would interesting to know how many GTR owners actually drive their car to it's full potential. You see alot for sale with very low klm's, nearly 3 years old, never tracked and never launched. With the $70k they they get hammered in depreciation it would be way cheaper to hire one once a month for a weekend! As they say some people just have more money then sense!

I've only had mine for 7 months. I have to admit I have never tracked mine, but when the tyres are close to replacement (in 8-9,000kms) it will be out there doing laps...

Sure, it probably does serve way too much garage time getting babied and drooled at, but thats ok by me. I get it out on the weekends (as it's not my daily), throw my kid in the back, and hit the hills giving my misses a decent break from dealing with the "kids mess" throughout the week..

And yeah, you're right, I probably have way more $$ than sense. But thats ok by me, I'd rather work hard and spend my spare $$ on cars, rather than hitting the pubs n clubs every friday/saturday night and blowing a wad of it all down the piss trough.

So.. Choose your poison. For me its my GT-R (..oh, and my Lotus Exige S + Subaru STi Spec R) and to be honest I wouldn't have it any other way.. :D

Edited by Wardski

^ i envy your lifestyle!

i know what you mean about giving the wife a break from the kids - that card always deals well when you want to get out of the house

I have been using this analogy on my wife for years "would you rather i spend my money on cars OR on clubs/alcohol/drugs/women???" yes it works when i want to spend on my gtr :)

I won't be telling my Mrs that I'd rather spend my money on women instead of cars, I'd lose half of everything, then definitely no R35 lol.

It's ok to spend money on women, just make sure its your wife, and not the girlfriend hahahaa :whistling:

• 1 month later...

hi guys,

my mate recently bought a black my12 gtr...he came over & took me for a drive in it.

it was the 1st time i experienced an r35, let alone sit in one.

to say i was very impressed is an understatement & this is coming from someone that used to race motorbikes, owned many 1000cc bikes which have a power/weight ratio close to 1:1 & ive also owned an r32gtr which had 405awkw (r32's only weigh 1450kg) :)

the acceleration from 0-100km/h would be very hard to beat in any other car or bike - absolute weapon for a car that is not modified!

the traction it has really surprised me & funnily enough, although the car looks 'biggish' it definitely doesn't feel that way in the cabin. my r32 used to spin all 4 wheels in 3rd gear under acceleration (like mr squiggle) but in the defence of r35, i don't think i could even fathom an r35 with the same extensive mods.

won't be long before i buy my r35 :)

• 1 month later...

i personally dislike the 35,

while it did impress me at first, then i found out how the entire car is a "throw away item"

(my personal experience working on these)

09, 10 have a shim over bucket cam follwer, 11 & 12 have a solid 1 piece bucket with a stem on the inside

the 09/10 cylinder heads IMO are better as you can get shims made up and generally you order them thicker for the intention to grind them to suit the clearance you want

the 11 & 12 you will need to have nissan make up the solid buckets to suit the valve protrusion, if you get the measurement 100% perfect and matches their measuring tools

the bores are plasma coated, cannot be rebored or even honed as the coating is only 2 thou thick, darton will be releasing a sleeve kit quite soon

cranks cant be ground either due to their coating, spin a bearing, buy a new crank

Wow that is a crap design, wonder why they did not just go hydraulic self adjusting like in a 1GR-FE (Toyota 4lt V6) similar dimensions, revability etc....

I hate bucket shims! PITA to work on.

How are they are keeping correct valve clearances anyway?

Good post btw ;)

hi guys,

my mate recently bought a black my12 gtr...he came over & took me for a drive in it.

it was the 1st time i experienced an r35, let alone sit in one.

to say i was very impressed is an understatement & this is coming from someone that used to race motorbikes, owned many 1000cc bikes which have a power/weight ratio close to 1:1 & ive also owned an r32gtr which had 405awkw (r32's only weigh 1450kg) :)

the acceleration from 0-100km/h would be very hard to beat in any other car or bike - absolute weapon for a car that is not modified!

the traction it has really surprised me & funnily enough, although the car looks 'biggish' it definitely doesn't feel that way in the cabin. my r32 used to spin all 4 wheels in 3rd gear under acceleration (like mr squiggle) but in the defence of r35, i don't think i could even fathom an r35 with the same extensive mods.

won't be long before i buy my r35 :)

Good to read that from somone else considering buying one.

I totally love the 2012 in blue, saw one in real life and just flat out want it. Don't really care for mega power n sh7t, just some tastful mods, Syvecs ECU, Exhaust, nothing major.... Just need to find some druggo or jizzillionaire flogging one off that has not been raped.

^ i definitely agree with you about the blue. when it came out i thought it was a fuddy duddy colour BUT its grown on me.

my old r32 would have still had the r35 (simple physics), however, the r35 definitely exceeded my expectations for a standard car - shockingly quick imo!

for me, i like the silver most (white is nice as well)

• 1 month later...

Good read....

Coming from a R34GTT...the R35 would be a nice upgrade. Still reading & checking out forums/websites on transmission failures/repairs.

Touch wood I wish buying second hand would gives me pleasure as a daily driver instead of rebuilding the transmission & spending it's time in the workshop for repairs. Here in Malaysia, we only get to buy reconditioned cars either from JDM or UK spec. So it's a just pure luck to search for the right one plus most are 2008 batches which is quite worrisome. For 2009/2010, I would need to pay like another AUD$20-30k for it which is not realistic (here we have crazy tax structure for cars which is 1-3 years old).

Anyway hope to one day own this monster with basic mods like Cobb Tuning and downpipe/exhaust mods....prabably be grinning from ear to ear. Cheers to all!!