SAU Community

Air Cond Regassing

GTR-N1

This is a heads up from Carbon Car Systems Blacktown; not just to anyone in Sydney but Australia-wide.

After the 1st of July, the W/s cost of air cond gasses will be going north by anything up to 600%.

If you were thinking of holding off until summer to regas your system, think again!

So, previously, what was it, $70-100?

$600 to regas?

Portable aircon and an inverter would be less.

Can then also remove the aircon system, weight saving bonus.

Any reason Terry?

Govt making it harder due to hazzard?

The gas used by Skylines (and many other cars) is "R134A"

So when current stock of that is used up by your supplier Simon, the cost of a regas at the moment which might be say $95 will go up to around $150.

The breakdown of the above, is part labour - part gas cost.

There will be a different substitute refrigerant available in late 2013.

Cost to be advised...

Story's been on the news.

The Carbox Tax genius' have worked out it takes "X" tons of Co2 to make a Kg of refrigerant gas, so the gas industry has to pay.

Guess who picks up that tag.

Yeah...

Do you have any idea about the next new refrigerant yet "G", in regard to....

a) cost?

b) efficiency?

I received some word that it was going to be less efficient than R134A, but that's just heresay.

I'm out of touch with these new gases Terry, but next time I'm dead keen to try Hychill in the 32's older system.

Trouble seems to be finding a fridge tech. out in the sticks who's willing to give it a try.

However I can remember when R22 and R12 got shafted. Exposed commercial freezer units had their gas stolen and sold black market style.

I'm certain these crazy gas prices will start this practice all over again.

I've recently changed jobs where I sometimes did air cons on mining equipment. Gas was sold at $37 per kilo. Our skylines hold less than a kilo. Be interested to see how high it goes up.

Ah thanks for clarification Terry.

Can anyone explain why we need to regas a closed system?

There's plenty of potential refrigerant leaks in any car's aircon system.

First off would be the shaft seal at the compresor. It's a carbon/carbon seal plus a conventional fla seal but over time it's going to leak.

This is why you're asked to run the aircon for a short time every day, to keep the carbon seal lubed and happy.

The seal has to hold static gas pressure (approx 75psi) when the syetem is at rest and then down into vacuum when the system is loaded.

Next are the flexible hoses at the compressor. They're swaged over a hose barb but any gas will still leak slightly.

And finally the gas will permeate through the actual hose material over time.

All removable connections are flare metal/metal or "O" ring and are very trouble free.

The compressor in your domestic fridge is inside a sealed unit, there's no flex/rubber hose and all pipe connections are silver soldered.

The refrigerant in one of those will be there until something mechanical fails.

Hi Guys,

After the 30th of June 2012 I would presume any refrigerant that is CO2 depleting will go up in price I would presume. This is because of the Carbon Tax.

I would also presume a lot of other industries that are emissions heavy will also be charging more for their services such as Transport etc.

Kind Regards,

Daniel

Carbon

There's plenty of potential refrigerant leaks in any car's aircon system.

First off would be the shaft seal at the compresor. It's a carbon/carbon seal plus a conventional fla seal but over time it's going to leak.

This is why you're asked to run the aircon for a short time every day, to keep the carbon seal lubed and happy.

The seal has to hold static gas pressure (approx 75psi) when the syetem is at rest and then down into vacuum when the system is loaded.

Next are the flexible hoses at the compressor. They're swaged over a hose barb but any gas will still leak slightly.

And finally the gas will permeate through the actual hose material over time.

All removable connections are flare metal/metal or "O" ring and are very trouble free.

The compressor in your domestic fridge is inside a sealed unit, there's no flex/rubber hose and all pipe connections are silver soldered.

The refrigerant in one of those will be there until something mechanical fails.

Thanks for the info.

I was never told to run it every day.

I will now though.

So are there any other gases we can use in aircon/refrigerator systems?

Google Hychill for an alternative if you're in a large city.

Not a legality problem it's just the industry has had so many "new" wonder gases over the years they're reluctant to try another.

I approached Hychill for a list of their nearest agents and came up with Burstons??????