SAU Community

Good Long Distance Car

Thanks warps.

Any jap/imports come to mind? What about a late 90's early 2000 5 series BMW?

No way in heck would I use a BMW for such a task.

Expensive to buy into, more unreliable than a Falcon and difficult/expensive to fix.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Left field, used Citroen C5 HDI with

Hydractive suspension, comes with everything, best car for crap roads ( when holdens and falcon suspension gives up citroen will float over it ) safe, buy 2010 model for under $30k, under 7.0l / 100km

I suggest a Commodore as it sells much better than the Falcon and the Falcon may be cancelled soon which may affect parts and resale values.

LPG on a new Commodore costs $2500 but you get $2000 back in a rebate so it will pay for itself in no time.

"Using an 84.4-litre aircraft-grade aluminium fuel tank, the LPG Commodore Omega delivers 710km of combined city and highway driving on a single tank (11.8L/100km for Omega and Berlina – 12.3L/100km for other sedan and Sportwagon variants – 12.4L/100km for Utes). That’s more than the Toyota Aurion ATX (707km), Mazda3 (696km) and even the Ford Falcon XT (687 km). It’s also more fuel efficient than the Falcon EcoLPI. Better still, based on the average 20,000km a year cycle, the LPG Commodore costs around $1227 in fuel per year, which is very similar to the more powerful Falcon EcoLPi ($1279) but significantly cheaper than the Toyota Hybrid Camry ($1644) and Corolla ($2028)."

From here http://www.caradvice.com.au/159889/holden-lpg-commodore-review/

Definitely go the big car. I used to drive 3 hours to uni first in a 90 Excel and then a 91 Commodore wagon. If anything the Commodore had better fuel economy on the highway. Both cars were petrol. The difference in comfort and cargo area is huge.

Do you have a budget in mind?

Edited by *LOACH*

Another +1 for E39 BMWs.

Would drive my mum's one for any distance. 96 528i with 133km did 6.6L/100km with ac on cruise set on 100kmh for at trip I did. (1600rpm @ 100kmh)

A full tank at that consumption is around 1000km..

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/bmw-523i-1997-12697454?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=4&eapi=2&__N=1216%204294729575%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294967079%204294966837%20900&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,20000~1&sort=default

Edit: I've also had a 540i and took that to the track on a 40deg day. Was totally perfect and I gave up before the car did...

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/bmw-540i-1998-12825350?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=1&eapi=2&__N=1216%204294729575%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294967079%204294966846%20900&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,20000~1&sort=default

Edited by 10 4

My BF XR6 is fitted with lpg, its about a 50 litre usable tank, i get about 400 highway k's from the tank, costs $25 - $30 per 400 k's.

Im not an expert but just looking at the size of the tank in my boot i dont see how you could go much bigger,, unless you got a wagon or a ute.

just something to consider ie: you'de have to fill up in dalby so you could get out to site then back to dalby to fuel up again on the way home.

The dedicated factory lpg falcons would have a bigger capacity i'd assume.

i would also get the xt over the xr6 if i was buying solely for a long distance commuter, softer suspension, nicer ride.

last of the diesel astra wagons. cheap and ave 4.7L/100KM on the highway. sensational understated car pick one up for about 15K. I had one long term for work and best car i have driven for long distances

I've done numerous drives from Canberra - Adelaide, Canberra - Gold Coast in my BF XR6. Most of the time it's in one day just to get it out the way so it's comfy enough for some decent drives. Ride quality is fine and fuel consumption is pretty good. Have made it from Cabarlah in Qld to Dubbo NSW on one tank of BP Ultimate (roughly 750km). Admittedly I did have to do a bit of fuel conservation for the last 90km and rolled into the servo on fumes. Would never do it again though. not worth the worry or dragging the dregs of the tank.

Edited by a31rb25

I'd go a BA or BF if the budget extends. XR6s can be had for only a small premium over the stocko. That said, the firmer suspension might not be what you're after in a mile eater. A G6E would be shit hot for 5 hour trips each way a couple times a week but they aren't cheap.

On the highway a ULP Falc will do ~7.5l/100k (let's say 8 to be safe). It has a 68L capacity so you're looking at 850ks+ out of a tank on the highway. Obviously adding some towns and the odd Maccas stop will knock some off this.

EDIT: Haven't found LPG economy figures yet.

EDIT2: 11-12 on highway for gas with 80L tank so ~650ks to a tank. This'll cost ~$60. ($0.70/litre)

7-8 on highway for ULP with 68L tank so ~850ks to a tank. This'll cost ~$95 ($1.40/litre)

LPG ~ $9.23/100ks

ULP ~ $11.17/100ks

Note ULP is likely to be a bit better around town.

your LPG figure,11-12 litre/100km , looks way too high. It shouldn't be between 15% and 30 % at most of ULP

your LPG figure,11-12 litre/100km , looks way too high. It shouldn't be between 15% and 30 % at most of ULP

I got it from a few random forum posts where people who actually owned an E-gas Falcon had posted their experiences.

I used to drive a BA ute on LPG for work and it was really, really hard to get the trip meter thingy to report instant usage below 10l/100ks when driving. Even when on a freeway at a steady 100ks it was pretty much always on or over 10l/100. My mates work ute, on the other hand, would report high 7s to mid 8s under the same conditions on ULP. Mine was auto and his was manual which will play a part, but it's still pretty indicative of what one can expect.

If you use my "min/max" figures it's 11 vs 8 which is about 35%, so not too far off the mark.

+1 for big aussie 6. mainly commodore or falcon. seats in the magna/380 aren't quite as nice (not sure on the aurion/camry but the mid 90's ones were like a park bench). as i've said in other threads, i drive a vt wagon 60kms+ each way to work everyday. i have a bad back and don't have any issues with it. having tilt adjust seats as well as reach adjust steering really helps. fuel economy is good. even with over 240,000kms on the clock i'm still getting mid 8's/100kms.

as to whoever said the pulsar, while i generally agree, if you are tall you may find it a bit cramped on leg room on longer drives. the seats in the SSS are pretty good. but the leg space gets to me a bit after about an hour, unless i put the seat back a bit further, but then the reach is a touch far. reach adjust steering would solve this, but generally only family cars have that. if my back isn't playing up i can do 4 hours pretty comfortably, but still nowhere near as nice as my wagon.

I do a fair bit of long distance travel in my BA XR6T and would recommend it but for better fuel consumption i would buy a BF with a 6 spd.

Mines 4spd auto and on the freeway gets around 500-600km out of a tank at roughly $75-80 to fill.

Mates that have the 6spds get between 700-800km out of a tank on the freeway.

My cars got 280,000km with 300rwkw and is still going strong and is as comfy as anything on long trips.

When I do big drives I use my dads dual fuel AU Falcon.

800kms out of a tank petrol

500kms out of a tank LPG

All highway driving, cruise control at 110km.

Very comfy car but ugly as f@#k lol

For a luxury option, you could consider one of the last Fairlanes (circa 2008). FOr some reason, these were much better on fuel than the equivalent Falcons (6 cyl only). I used to manage around 7.3l/100km on the highway on country driving whereas the equivalent Falcons at the time couldn't achieve any better than high 8's. Plenty of luxury and room in these things too.

I don't know why it's so, but I saw this same trend on 4 different Fairlanes, compared to about 8 Falcons on the same trips over a 12 month period.

For a luxury option, you could consider one of the last Fairlanes (circa 2008). FOr some reason, these were much better on fuel than the equivalent Falcons (6 cyl only). I used to manage around 7.3l/100km on the highway on country driving whereas the equivalent Falcons at the time couldn't achieve any better than high 8's. Plenty of luxury and room in these things too.

I don't know why it's so, but I saw this same trend on 4 different Fairlanes, compared to about 8 Falcons on the same trips over a 12 month period.

I love those things. My best mate had an NF Fairlane as a company car. Such a great car to drive. It wasn't a performance car, but super comfy and enjoyable to drive. It was surprisingly good on fuel, too. It would chug it down if you sunk the wellie, but get on the the highway, set cruise control to 105 and it would only sip.

They are damn cheap to buy, too. You can get a BA Fairlane Ghia for ~$10 with ~100k ks on the clock. That's a lot of car for not many pesos.