SAU Community

Strong fuel smell inside the Car

r32impul

Just want to ask, is anyone have a fuel surge tank in the boot? will the whole car interior can smell the fuel? When I drive my GTR, I feel very high, 1/2 reason maybe i smell too much fuel :throwup:

Your fuel filler cap will have been sealed with non-fuel resistant sealer.

And it's just leaking out your fuel cap, down the side of the car.

Half of the cars in vic do it lol.

Just buy some resistant fuel putty stuff (comes in a tube) and use that.

You just gotta follow the instructions carefully or it wont work :D

I didnt say anything aobut the surge tank!

Its probably got nothing to do with it.

If it is the surge tank posting pics of it wont help us as your not going to see fuel leaking out of it!

• Like 1

well, I can see my fuel tank (white in color) from my boot under the carpet. the whole is about 8-10cm dia. the edge of the whole is quite sharp. Can you see your fuel tank from your boot which when you take out the carpet?

Yeah, there is a cover meant to go over it.

Obviously it hasnt been put back.

This has nothing to do with the fuel smell i reckon though.

It'll be leaking out of where you put the Fuel Pump Nossle into.

You just need to re-seal it.

If the surge setup is leaking, you'd see stains.

Gary, just for reference, here's a picture of my boot, and a picture of what it looks like with carpet pulled back. There is a cover on the top of the fuel tank with a rubber grommet on it. Two power lines run into the Bosch pump - one factory, one supplementary power source as the pump draws more current that the factory wiring can support.

Take a look at my surge tank, maybe that's the smell come from. But that's is done by the professional workshop :)

And now I having a problem to get my spare tyre as well.

Why is your boot grey?

The inspection hole cover has been cut, but that doesn't necessarily mean that fuel vapour will enter the cabin as the fuel gauge unit and fuel pump harness assembly should keep the tank sealed.

Does the boot smell strongly of fuel? I didn't think there was a heap of airflow between the boot and the cabin as the only vents are between the parcel shelf and boot, aren't they? There's a nice solid metal wall on the front side of the boot.

Do the alignment marks line up for the fuel gauge assembly and fuel tank?

Yes, the boot can small strongly of fuel, I can see a bit fuel inside the inspection hole, where it should be seal up. the rubber seal of that imspection hole cover is also broken (you can acturlly see it in between the 2 blue elec cable in my pic). So if you can see the fuel, can you smell it?

For the color of my boot, I don't know man. It comes like that.

IF you can see fuel, then of course you'll be able to smell it :)

that will be where it is coming from, where ever you can see fuel/fuel stains.

Just means seals or the clamps aint done up tight enough

Really, by the look of my pic, do you guys think is done up proper and professional? Is it suppose to see fuel in the boot? if cut the a big hole around the inspection cover, what is the use of the rubber seal around it?

Gary, the fuel tank should be sealed 100% except for lines running to/from it, and the breather pipe. You shouldn't be able to visualise fuel at all.

I'd say this is part of your fuel consumption problem... a lot is probably sloshing around and splashing out; also a lot is lost due to evaporation given the volatility of petrol.

"Just buy some resistant fuel putty stuff (comes in a tube) and use that."

What is this putty called and where can you get it from. Mine leaks fuel down the rear quater when i'm using the car in a sidewards motion..

Well, basically if you look at my pic again, from the whole where 4 fuel line go through, there is the fuel tank, if i close to it and smell it, for sure can smell fuel. As scotsman said: buy some "resistant fuel putty stuff (comes in a tube) and use that." how can I fill up a bit whole by that stuff? it will all go into the fuel tank man!!!

Basically, my fuel garge is not working too after they put the surge tank and intank fuel pump.