Roy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks chris.

ps. i meant to say chris above i dunno what happened :Oops: :(

LOL!! no probs, Clint32 is a mate of mine

Let me know how it goes, did you want me to scan teh template thing I made or are you just going to fill the whole thing with the one scourer

Chris

I bought 3 packets of three, and used all but one of them, so I guess they where the smaller ones. 8 scourers to fill it, 4 both sides.

I bought 3 packets of three, and used all but one of them, so I guess they where the smaller ones. 8 scourers to fill it, 4 both sides.

So what have you done with the extra stockings mate?

Otherwise very good job I must say.

So what have you done with the extra stockings mate?

Otherwise very good job I must say.

I have put them aside for you to collect mate, not my type of thing...........:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi

I just got one of these GReddy catch cans sent to me. I was expecting a 500 ml one but got the dirty big 1L one... It has no removable bottom!! Anyway is it worth keeping & setting this thing up. Will it work at all if i shove like 50 ****ing scourers in the big mother, & once they go in they aint coming out *with the size of the holes on it*.

I've attached a pic of what catch can my m8 got. Anyway i dont know too much about catch cans except they should be baffled one way or another.

So yeh anyways, what should i do!

Thanks! :rant:

well the above one appears to be venting to the atmosphere, so watch it with the cops..

I got one recently off somebody for $60.. which was just a thermoflask, with a couple of brass fittings drilled in and bonded. In the nice blue looks nice and ricey, in fact more-so than the greddy, etc one. Has the scourers in the middle with the stocking.

Best part is you just unscrew the "lid" to empty it, and/or replace the insides. It's so simple it hurts.

For $60.. anything else seems a bit silly if it does the same thing.. if you had the time, making your own would be even more cost effective.

Which is the best setup to go with in installing it? between the crank cases, or from the PCV valve to turbo?? I have seen both setups around, and wondering whether there would be any advantage or disadvantage to each?

hmmmm so it's leaning towards i should sell this one i got at the moment..... By the way, when exactly will the catch can fill up at all.... & with a big 1 L can, it'd really take a lot of filling to filter anything anyway if i did have scourers in there right *PS im reallllllly drunk right know if im not making sense, like really really drunk i duno wtf is goin on*....

My suggestions for plumbing up a catch can. Yes that's right you have CHOICES, there is not a wrong and a right

Pretty much the same for a RB26DETT, or an RB20DET or an RB25DET or an RB31DET (in my case). But keep in mind there is no "best way", you choose whichever suites your requirements.

I call the choices ;

1. 100% plumb back

2. 50% plumb back

3. Zero% plumb back

Let's try this one, it's the open to atmosphere catch can;

rb25detOpentoAtmosphere.jpg

The idea is to only have one connection from the cam covers as they are joined by the standard pipe. The PCV valve and the connection to the inlet before the turbo are blocked off. You can have a return (drain) to the sump form the catch can if you like. Don't T it into the turbo oil return as it is under a bit of pressure and the oil can run up into the catch can.

This one I call the 50% plumb back, because half of the time (no boost times) the air from the catch can is being sucked into the inlet manifold via the PCV valve;

rb25det50PlumbBack.jpg

It is not my favourite, because you can still get a bit of oily air into the engine, but since it doesn't go in under boost (the PCV valve is closed then) detonation isn't much of an issue. At least you don't get any oil into the intercooler and its pipework.

The last is 100% plumb back, all of the air goes back into the engine. Some goes via the PCV valve, at times of no boost. When there is boost, it goes back via the inlet system, through the turbo, the intercooler and its pipework. :uh-huh:

rb25det100PlumbBack.jpg

The idea is the stainless steel wool, helped by the lower velocity in the catch can, catches the oil and removes it from the air before it goes back into the engine. This is the environmentalists favourite :alien: and is the easiest to get engineered.

PS, the PCV valve on RB25's is screwed into the RHS cam cover. For the plumback options (50% and 100%) you would need to move the PCV valve so it is between the catch can and the plenum.

For RB20's the PCV valve is screwed into the plenum and so it doesn't need to be moved.

Hope that helps:cheers:

U can upload photos to your SAU user gallery then grab the URL of the image & post them that way instead of using photobucket.

Ah yes but then I can't use it for other purposes. All uploaded now....:)

SK how do I move the PCV on an rb25det? your help would be appreciated

Too easy......

The PCV valve fits into a rubber grommet in the RHS cam cover and it has a hose clamped over it that goes to the inlet plenum. I simply take it out of the cam cover, shorten (cut) the hose and clamp it closer to the inlet plenum. Then I clamp the hose from the catch can over the other end of the PCV valve, the end that used to be in the cam cover. I then insert a bolt of the appropriate size into the now empty grommet in the side of the cam cover to block it off, as I don't need it.

Thanks for the diagrams SK, I'm thinking of installing the Zero% plumb back. My catch tank doesnt have a filter *only 2 valves* I thought I'd have the hose running in, then the 2nd valve running out to the sump. What would happen if i had this setup & the catch can wasnt baffled & didnt have scourers in there? Would oil just build up in the can & more blow by would go to the sump? If I had the can baffled with scourers then it would just leave air to go to the sump right?

The cam cover outlets and the sump are pretty much under equal pressure, so no air flows when you are driving. The oil drain to the sump only works when the engine is turned off. You build up oil during the day driving around and it slowly drains into the sump when you stop (overnight is the best). So you have an empty catch can. The scourers separate the oil from the air, the air either flows out to atmosphere or back into the inlet of the engine. You can buy a small filter from the usual auto outlets (Auto One, Auto Pro, Auto Barn, Repco, SupaCheap etc). Some guys use plastic fuel filters, cheap and you just chuck them away when they get dirty.