SAU Community

Greddy Oil Catch Can

Roy

Just thought id share some recent experiences with everyone.

Just bought a Greddy Oil Catch Tank, the new 1L one. Now before buying i was assured it was actually an oil/air separator.

Now it arrived today, only for me to unwrap and realise that i just paid good money for a hollow bit of aluminium. :D There is no baffles etc inside so how is thing supposed to scrub oil from the crank case gases etc etc before being re-circulated back ino my inlet?

I could have just made my own you beaut, home grown, oz designed orchy bottle / bong catch can for $5.

So be wary the next time someone tells you that the Japanese call their oil/air separators oil catch tanks (ala surge tanks are actually inlet manifolds)

Oh well at least its shiny and is better then nothing at all :)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was told the only reason for the price difference is that the smaller square one has easily accessible socket head srews to remove the top for easy draining, where as the bigger one isore awkward to drain as you have to remove one of the fittings

So i went for larger capacity, a bit more agro to drain (its bigger so wont need as often) and of course something like $50 cheaper.

Can someone who owns the square 500ml Greddy one confirm what the internals look like?

I think yer supposed to add yer own baffling, ala SK style - some steel wool inside a stocking. Lets air through but catches vapourized oil, while stopping wool from going back into engine.

Id prefer this "replaceable filter" than cleaning a 500ml bottle full of oil out.

Who makes a "good" one?

LW.

well anyone that has what a proper Air/Oil spearator catch-can needs

Same as what Roy said he wanted (should have got)

There is no baffles etc inside so how is thing supposed to scrub oil from the crank case gases etc etc before being re-circulated back ino my inlet?

OH... i c!

I dunno... lots of the ones i've seen come out of Jap, are just what Roy got.

Tins cans that are nice and shint and do little else.

Probably getting one custom made here in Aust by a performance place would be best bets.

damn i was gonna get one from gcg but thought it wouldnt be up to scratch to the greddy one :P

just called the official trust/greddy distributors and asked if the 500ml one has baffles or if its just a hollow can.

i quote

"wouldnt know mate, never pulled one apart"

me "so i cant get an answer on that?"

"nah wouldnt know mate"

Any metal fabrication place will make any design you take to them (as long as its possible) You can even specify material selection and baffle design (if you want to).

My catch can has no internal baffles from the metal fab place, had two weld bungs welded on, and a fitting for a small filter to attach to, and a bracket to attach it. All up it cost $120. And the best thing is its custom and only one like it.

James,

My brother in law is mates with the lads at gcg, he highly recommends any they sell. and looking at his past cars... i beleive every word he says.

The prob with the GCG type and the one Benno describes is that gasses are filtered tehn released into the atmosphere. So after a period of time you get an oilf film over most parts in your engien bay (Well at least i did)... and aint exactly legal.

With a proper oil air separator the air is scrubbed of oil then the filtered air (not 100%...but good enough) can be returned to the inlet tract with negligible impact.

I was going to go custom as per my want, but i wanted aluminium which meant i cant weld it, and even to buy and cut up myself, then to have a bloke weld it for $50, well for $155 i was willing to pay the extra for convenience...looks liek ill just make my own out of stainless (heavy but will at least work how i wasn it to)

Anyway, ill give this thing a go and see if it works ok, i may just put a bit of gauze in the return pipe liek the std setup has for the pipe that goes upstream of the turbo.