Greddy Oil Catch Can

Roy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the cusco one came with insides?

dude, have a read of the first post.

it clearly says that they DID NOT and that is what troy is not happy about.

Troy, if you make one... i'll give ya $$$ to make one for me :)

Hi Guys, there are two systems we use one is open to atmosphere (for racing) and the other is closed loop for the road. In both cases we use the GCG style of catch can as it is aluminium, the right size, not too expensive and it works. Looks like this;

Catch Can

They have 2 inlets at the top, one from each cam cover, they go inside the can and 3/4 the way to the bottom. We fill the inside of the can with stainless steel wool in a stocking (as Bl4ck32 posted) via the filter pipe (it's the largest hole, so easier to get stuff in through). This filters most of the oil from the air.

For track purposes( open to atmosphere), we use the outlet at the bottom to drain the can, it has a piece of hose on it with a tap at the bottom, open the tap and drain the contents. The small filter is fitted at the top to catch anything the steel wool misses. Both the PCV valve and the standard inlet (from the cam covers to the inlet pipework before the turbo) are blocked off.

For the road (closed loop), we fit a return pipe going to the sump instead of the drain pipe. So we don't have to remember to drain it. Plus we fit a hose instead of the filter on the top of the can. This hose goes to the PCV valve. You do get a little oily air going in the engine, but not much as the steel wool catches it. Also by going in the PCV valve, no oily air goes though (gets trapped in) the intercooler or its pipework. The standard inlet (from the cam covers to the inlet before the turbo) is blocked off.

This means that the can is only scavenged when the engine is off boost, and that happens as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator. So we have never found it to be a problem. The only alternative is to connect the can to the inlet before the turbo (as per standard) but I don't like cleaning oil out of intercoolers. It's messy and time consuming.

The stainless steel wool is a filter medium, so (just like an air filter) it needs to be changed (or cleaned) when it gets dirty.

Hope that helps

My cusco one works... as I broke 2 ringlands it filled up with oil... enough so that it spewed oil all over my engine bay, intercooler pipes and turbo :) As I'm running the engine in currently there is no new oil in the can yet that I can see on the clear indicator.

I have a Greddy one - as everyone has stated, they are hollow :D

So if I put some steel wool in a stocking, and put it in the hollow section, this will work ok

I have had mine running with the stock PCV setup, as the Greddy can did bugger all, so I guess if I hook it up again, with the steel wool/stocking setup, it should work better than nothing shouldn't it

Chris

One good thing about the Greddy one, it has four allen key screws which allows you to take the bottom of and add some bits inside to make it work properly

I think the dense thin type would do the job the best.

I was thinking of making up a divider plate to run down the middle of the chamber, and drilling some large holes in that, and running a pack on each side. That way one side would take most of the oil out of the air, and the other can clean it up a bit more. Being oil vapour, some is always going to get through, but if I can take the majority out of it, then that would be good

Then when it comes to clean, 4 screws out, pull the steel wool/stocking out and replace with a new one - easy

At least in theory it should work...........

I came across these ones which seem pretty good:

http://www.essential.co.jp/html/lineup/oil...nk/oilcach.html

And here is a horrible japlish translation:

For the car classification private design by anyone you install simply at brief, the できます. As for material aluminum make and with 美しい buff finish in engine compartment another performance. As for capacity, above all the model offering/accompanying 2 liters level gauge 付き です. As for fitting EARLS make (as for color necessity です for blue or lead selective possible) circuit travelling meeting * ゼロヨン and say event participation.

The parition plate inside the oil catchtank does the atomization した oil and the blow-by gas 分ける with those because of the 効率よく. Parition plate lower part in cutting する thing the oil abnormal play it is round equally inside the よって and the separate された tank the way, the device して あります.

Why the oil catch tank being necessary? Blow-by gas っ て what?Blow-by gas from piston ring and valve system seal etc., atomization した oil 漏れる with such as unburned gas little 含まれて います. With the blow-by gas it meaning that transitory the oil catch tank is necessary because of the 貯める it does the discharge される oil.

Basically they are 2l and have a special partition plate inside that atomises (ie. seperates) the oil/air.

LW.

Last night I went to the trouble of making a divider to fit down the center of my Greddy catch can. It is a bit of a bitch due to all of the angles on the inside, but its done now

I want to seperate the 'in' air from the 'out' air, and make the air travel longer and through more steel wool to scrub it of any nasties before pumping it into the engine :thumbsup:

Anyone who has one of these I can email you a template so you can make your own

Its reasonably easy, from concept to finish took me about a hour or so

I used some 3mm thick aluminium I had lying about the shed

I will post some pics up when I have finished it

Should at least make it work now, rather than just a hollow box doing bugger all :)

Chris

Yeah no probs, will sort it out this weekend and post it all up. It came up a treat :)

As for the steel wool, check this out, it is a good read - http://www.autospeed.com.au/cms/A_0338/article.html

Similar concept to that except I think putting the steel wool in a stocking would keep it from being inhaled by the turbo :thumbsup:

Yeah, after thinking about it, that fine shit rusts quite easily as well

Should have read SK's post a bit clearer - Stainless Steel, not the fine cheap stuff

A combination on the steel wool+stocking should work well

I thought about foam as well, but the idea of hot and semi-solvent gas contacting the foam didn't seem like a wise idea :thumbsup: (unless you want to make Napalm :flamed: :) )

Should work well, and be completley legal

Just need to remember to give it a wash and replace the steel every now and then

so yeah, I will keep to non-flammable parts on the induction/intercooler plumbing :) true though, foam+petrol = Napalm :flamed: The things you learn at public schools :thumbsup:

Will get some scourers tonight, and put it all together on the weekend and give it a test. Hopefully it will do the trick, will take some happy snaps along the way

Chris

Will get some scourers tonight, and put it all together on the weekend and give it a test. Hopefully it will do the trick, will take some happy snaps along the way

Chris

Don't you mean scrubbers?