SAU Community

Greddy Oil Catch Can

Roy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, all went as planned on the weekend, and it is all fitted

No pics as yet, as my plan was to fit it, then wait until Wednesday and remove it to inspect to see wether it was working succesfully.

So far it seems to be doing a great job, inspecting the differance between the cam cover hose and the hose going into the inlet pipe shows that the hose going into the inlet pipe contains no visible signs of any oil or oil vapour

The hose coming off the rocker cover has minimal amounts of oil in it, so I think its filtering the oil vapour very succesfully

Will take it out tomorrow, take a few pics and post them up, along with a template to make up a internal divider if any other Greddy catch can owners want to do the same

Chris

Hi guys,

I am yet to see a commercially produced oil/air seperator as functionally or financially viable as the one outlined below. Very easy for the keen DIYer provided you can operate a drill & know someone who can weld. I think I'll post my design in the DIY section. Enjoy, & spend your hard earned dosh elsewhere :)

Please excuse my lame-ass sketching.

I use Cusco.

And a 1 litre catchcan is damn overkill...

Unless you're SkylineGeoff... ha ha...

T.

Ha ha T. The trick is not to have broken ring lands on multiple pistons for 2500km :)

There is a company in melbourne does ally containers split at halfway would be ideal for BigDatto's design, and cheap too. I'll hunt around and find the brochure and post later.

My catch can was an early prototype by a mate in ACT and has swirl inserts in the top similar to a dry sump oil/air separator or centrifugal air filter on a truck. It spins the gas as it enters and allows it to settle before it comes up to the vent to atmoshere. After driving Tanks for 2 years that use more than 2L per km I could care less for the tiny amount of contaminated GH gas mine emits.

Just a baffle is not going to do much in getting the gas to drop oil but combinations of accelerators and scrubbers will.

Researched a similar problem for helicopter dust filters on Mil aircraft for my thesis but decided I didn't want to have sh)t to do with the aviation industry.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, all worked succesfully

I removed it last night for inspection and to take a few photgraphs of it so you can all see how it works

I have attached some pics as well of how it fits etc.

After a bit over a week of driving, I can report that it seems to be doing its job very well.

The internal stocking/scourer combo does catch the small amounts of blow-by very well, with the air coming out if the can clean of pretty well all the oily vapour. Its hard to see in the photo's but the stocking on the 'in' side of the can had small amounts of vapour on it, and the stocking on the 'out' side has none that I can see. The pics are as it came out of the car, and weren't cleaned or anything

I'd say buy the look of things, replacing the stocking/scourer combo would be a once in every six months to a year job. I guess this will depend on how much your engine breathes, but you can use the level indicator on the side to tell how much oil is in there

I have made up a template for the divider, I will try and scan it today and post it up. Here are some pics of what it looks like

Regards, Chris

The old scourer in the stocking trick, works well every time. :wavey:

yeah, it works a treat!

Best thing I reckon is it gets rid of the majority of oil vapour, and doesn't have that catch can smell. and it totally legal

Chris

i have a custom one which came with my car but i have never hooked it up, it just doesn't seem to have enough outlets/inlets.

its been made to shape to your strut tower and has two inlets at the top and one (drain) at the bottom.

i am guessing i will have to finish it off by cutting a hole in the top and fitting a cap/filter to vent to atmo. and of course stuff it with steel wool.

as for the pcv what does this do? is it just a one way valve for the breather pipe?

PCV = positive crankcase ventilation

The PCV valve operates via the vacum load on your car. When your car is off boost or in negative vacum, the PCV valve is sucked open, drawing the gases from the motor into the inlet.

When under boost, it gets foreced shut by the positive pressure, and the gas is sucked into your inlet system, usually just before the turbo. Its then pumped into your intercooler, through your inlet and then into your motor. This leads to filthy intercoolers and can casue detonation

By cleaning these gases (via catch can arrangment) before they get sucked into the inlet system, it gets rid of most of the crap that you don't want in your inlet air, which can only be a good thing

Chris

PCV = positive crankcase ventilation

The PCV valve operates via the vacum load on your car. When your car is off boost or in negative vacum, the PCV valve is sucked open, drawing the gases from the motor into the inlet.

When under boost, it gets foreced shut by the positive pressure, and the gas is sucked into your inlet system, usually just before the turbo. Its then pumped into your intercooler, through your inlet and then into your motor. This leads to filthy intercoolers and can casue detonation

By cleaning these gases (via catch can arrangment) before they get sucked into the inlet system, it gets rid of most of the crap that you don't want in your inlet air, which can only be a good thing

Chris

and if you vent your catch can to atmo can you block this off or do away with it altogether? (i seem to get sh*tloads of oil in my intercooler piping).

and if you vent your catch can to atmo can you block this off or do away with it altogether? (i seem to get sh*tloads of oil in my intercooler piping).

yeah, it can then be blocked off, what type of motor do you have?

atmo venting catch cans are illegal, and smell alot, for a race car I'd say they are fine, but for a road car I'd suggest a re-circulating setup

RB25DET, in tasmania anything is legal, but if it really does smell alot i may have to take another approach.

ill have to pull the bastard of a catch can out and figure out what to do with it all together

Mine smelt alot, mainly due to where it was positioned, the smell would end up in the cabin

I'd look at making a sealed system, then if your are not happy with that, vent it to amtmsophere

yo clint.

what type of stocking is that? looks more like a sock or look a lot thicker than what i was thinking of using to make mine this weekend. or does it just look like that once the wool is in it

did you open up the scourers at all or just chuck them in as a ball

its a normal stocking - just not stretched heaps so it looks quite thick once it has something inside

I kept the stainless wool pretty much in one piece, just pulled it apart a little and shaped it to suit, seemed to fit well