SAU Community

Importing An R35

Hey guys

I was wondering if it was possible (legal) to import a 2011 Nissan GTR R35 from japan, i read somewhere that the car has to be at least 15 years old or something? Can someone give me any kind of information/prices included ??

http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car/japan%20car/nissan/skyline+gt-r/9998727/

Thanks guys

Only ways are personal import or race import, one you can't drive on the street ever & the other you have to move to Japan for 12 months. Basically if it's sold locally & newer than '88 your outta luck.

Only ways are personal import or race import, one you can't drive on the street ever & the other you have to move to Japan for 12 months. Basically if it's sold locally & newer than '88 your outta luck.

According to DOTARS, Nissan GT-R's with build dates up to Dec 2008 can be imported for street use.

According to DOTARS, Nissan GT-R's with build dates up to Dec 2008 can be imported for street use.

True they can as gtr wasn't sold locally then, however they need to be essentially new with delivery km's. Best of luck finding one.

• 4 months later...

Soo..... What If my wife is wife is japanese and has a Permanat Residancy Visa. Can she buy the car over there, hold on to it for a year, use if the few times that she goes over, then import under the personal import ruling?

Does this mean that she could import any year with any KM GTR - R35?

There's more than 15 on carsales atm

Why would you bother importing a jap spec with all buttons, gauges and displays in Japanese, nav and radio not working, spending the additional cost complying with ADR's, gst and stamp duty on delivery, then taking a huge hit when it comes time to selling because no one will buy an import over an ADM

Despite the appealing in japan only auction price, at the end of the day, the figures just don't add up

Edited by domino_z

Guages and buttons in Japanese its not really an issue, I can read a fair bit of japanese.. well, I could get by but anyway you make all very vaiid points, by the time it was was on road here it would also be the same cost, and with a massive headach..

Maybe I can get an R33/R34 import and have some money left to play with mods, have a bit of fun, learn and not freak out about getting a bit of dirt on my nice R35.. which I would be pariod as to park anywhere in vic because no one here cares about dooring other peoples cars... :(

Edited by vt_sleeper

When I lived in Melb back in 2001, and had my very first Subaru WRX STi, I got doored and/or keyed at least once a month. Not because I couldnt park it properly, not because it was a habbibi bling bling lowered fully sik doof doof machine, but just because people didn't give a 5hit, or were jealous.

People in Brisbane seem to look on in awe at my GTR. Never had an issue here, even when parked in the most bogan of shopping centre car parks.

unfortunately you had that sti right around the time they were targets by the ford/holden mob and stood out like dogs balls with big wings and gold wheels

they seem to be alot more accepted now plus alot of cars these days have wings and coloured wheels

when i was daily driving my m3 convert a 4-5 years ago, and even the c63, people wouldn't let me merge/change lanes, would take their time on purpose at fuel stations, cut me off, was a real eye opener......would be even worse today id imagine with economic crisis and looming 2014 recession

Edited by domino_z

unfortunately you had that sti right around the time they were targets by the ford/holden mob and stood out like dogs balls with big wings and gold wheels

Haha, yeah had the big wing, but didnt go for the gold wheel option :P When I moved back to Brisbane, I ended up having it corrected & resprayed. Still miss the ole bug-eye. Went to a good home though.

Soo..... What If my wife is wife is japanese and has a Permanat Residancy Visa. Can she buy the car over there, hold on to it for a year, use if the few times that she goes over, then import under the personal import ruling?

Does this mean that she could import any year with any KM GTR - R35?

Doesn't work like that for personal imports. As per the legislation you need to have owned the car and had access to it for at least one year before you import it here. You will have to provide a copy of every page of your passport to prove you were in the country for the majority of the time in that year. In addition you will be asked to provide other legal documents etc to prove you are leaving the country for good.

• 1 month later...

^ If his wife does live there and uses the car though she could import it in her name.

Just be aware that the Australian government enjoy nothing more than taxing people as much as possible and will make sure they get lots of money out of her when the car lands. My favourite is that they ignore what you paid for the car and instead require you to get the car valued to determine what the car is worth in Aus which is most likely more than what you would pay in Japan... They then take that value as the basis to apply lots and lots of tax; GST, Duty, Luxury car tax... So quite quickly what could ahve worked out saving you money may end up being no cheaper.

I saw an article a while ago that showed the price of an SLS AMG in Australia.... Almost $123k of the $497k you pay goes to the government rather than Mercedes!

http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/motors/luxury-cars-why-do-we-pay-more-20110419-1dml9.html

• 5 months later...

When I lived in Melb back in 2001, and had my very first Subaru WRX STi, I got doored and/or keyed at least once a month. Not because I couldnt park it properly, not because it was a habbibi bling bling lowered fully sik doof doof machine, but just because people didn't give a 5hit, or were jealous.

People in Brisbane seem to look on in awe at my GTR. Never had an issue here, even when parked in the most bogan of shopping centre car parks.

What suburb were you in?!