SAU Community

Does Anyone Have An Abn?

Like the title says.

I'm looking at starting a business up and selling some of the gadgets that i make... Above board...

I am designing and building the "clapper Switch" to comply with all the Australian standards that it relates to, so that I will be able to sell it legally and will be covered if shit hits the fan.

In doing this I have to have the Supplier/Manufactures name and ABN on the unit or packaging. But as i don't have an ABN it makes that one a little hard at the moment...

Has anyone done this? Or does anyone have any first hand info on getting started?

Cheers, Pat.

Unless things have changed, you should be able to get one on the net.

I got one a bit over 2 years ago like this but don't need it anymore as I am no longer a sub contractor.

I think maybe now they get cancelled if not used.

Found this...

https://abr.gov.au/A...ome&pid=71&js=1

Edited by Not a Pulsar

When I was a subcontractor before opening the workshop I had to have a ABN, I applied for one online, but you can also get a tax accountant to get one for you but there is a cost to it. I didnt need to register mine for GST at first but once I started to earn over $50,000 I had to register it. But when I opened the workshop, being a business selling items I needed to register a ACN and then the ATO issues a ABN after that and all of that costed $990 and I got a accountant to do that.

Hope that helps.

Richard, you have been PM'd :)

Thanks for all the info guys.

So far I've just got an ABN as a sole trader trading under my own name. I don't think i need an ACN unless this thing goes crazy huge. Whilest i don't think I'll be making anywhere near 50k on this I'll leave the GST thing alone. Also i have NFI how the whole GST thing works.

Although it would be nice to make a quick 50k on the side... hmmmm what else can i make... SEGWAYS!!!