SAU Community

Cobra 9870 RADAR Detector

wont work in nsw thats for sure, i got casught with top of the range bell 990 from Nz, worked for about 6 months then cops upgraded to new software which detects all radars, and people using phones in the cars, cost me 1400 fine and no points, lucky me.

LOL are u serious? Damn! i wouldnt exactly call a $1400 fine lucky.. Anyway it's not the radars you should be worried about, cops in victoria use directional laser speed readers which are faster, more precise, and give very little warning that you're being tracked until it's too late.

The best radar/laser detector i've seen is the Valentine-1, but it's risky having these devices in your car because they CAN be detected and u will cop a massive fine.... but they're quite good for picking up fixed speed camera's parked on the roadside, so u have enough time to slow down if u happen to be travelling above the suggested speed limit ;)

Its just this sort of discussion which is useful to people buying and selling! Please change the rules. Someone will buy it if the info provided is informative enough then it will sell.

Note this is spectre undetectable as well as VG2 undetectable. So it will not get detected!

However it is visible to the naked eye in the window of your car which is where it needs to be if it is to detect laser.

On the other point of laser(handheld) gun radar - you will find this does detect laser(handheld) gun radar but using stray radiation bouncing off the car in front. Usually the manual will explain how all this works.

Hey I'd buy this one but I don't need it :D

Features of this detector

11-band Ultra™ Extra Sensory Detection® radar/laser

SmartPower™ Power Saver System

Strobe Alert™ provides advanced alert of the presence/approach of vehicles equipped with traffic light controlling strobe emitters

Intellimute™ relative speed sensing auto mute system that virtually eliminates false alerts

Safety Alert® traffic warning system

360-degree LaserEye®

Spectre Alert to make you aware of Spectre radar detection

Spectre Undetectable provides immunity from Spectre radar detector detection

VG-2 Alert®

VG-2 undetectable

Voice Alert™ system

8-point electronic compass

DigiView® Data Display provides an easily recognizable digital text display

EasySet™ Programming Menu

Digital Signal strength indicator

Auto mute

City/Highway switch

Dim Mode switch allows you to dim the radar display to enhance night driving visibility

Stay Set electronic memory remembers radar detecctor settings for an indefinite period of time even with the power removed

System ready prompt

Detects 5 Radar Signals: X Band, K Band, Ka Superwide, VG-2 Alert™ System, and Spectre System

Detects 3 Laser Signals: LTI 20-20™ Laser, Ultra Lyte™ Laser, ProLaser™, and ProLaser III™

2 Safety Systems: Safety Alert® System and Strobe Alert™ System

Dimensions: W 3.2 in; H 1.3 in; D 4.65 in

Weight: 6 oz

Hey guys - did you know its an offence to own, purchase or offer for sale a radar detector in all states other than WA.

If you search on the net you will find some good advive about the legalities of these devices and the restrictions placed on the police regarding their detection and removal. (well worth a read)

I am not anti detectors, but be careful when purchasing/selling them, and know the legalities if you put one in your car (eg. the police have the righ to search your car if they suspect you have a detector, but they have limitations on what they can do to locate it)

• 2 weeks later...