SAU Community

Autometer Boost Gauge Question

Hi everyone just a quick question, today I installed a boost gauge to my 95 R33 GTS-T and the highest reading it gives me is 5psi !

just wondering how accurate this would be ? is there another way of measuring boost accurately ? i have also done the boost

control solenoid mod and whether it is grounded or normal i still get the same result. Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

mine too from what i recall, although something about 7 psi under some conditions. When I did the grounding mod, didn't do sh*t for me, still ran the same. Autometer are not a rubbish brand.If it's sitting dead on 0 when car is off, it's prob calibrated correctly.

Pull the hose off the actuator and give it a carefull burst and see if you can top 5psi (without blowing the thing up). if you can, bypass the solenoid and get a simple bleed T to start with. I would guess you have the stock exhaust - usually a bigger exhaust will result in a small increase in boost.

Ok awsome, thanks guys just confirms what i'm reading on the gauge is correct. The reason i fitted the gauge was to intall a turbosmart boost tee

and just wanted to see where the boost was sitting. And have an accurate way of reading the boost when i install the boost tee. What's a safe

level of boost for a pretty stock motor ? it has a standard turbo and actuator 3" exhaust from the dump pipe and super megaphone muffler and an

air pod, stock intercooler ?

R33 may be fine at up to 11psi, or may go all emo doing R&R at 8 or 9. Bit of the luck of the draw. Best bet is to turn it up little by little and if you suspect that it's not going any faster (once you get to a certain boost level) then call it quits and stop there/back it off a touch.

Actuator can't hold you back if you've plumbed it correctly. Have you bypassed the stock solenoid altogether? Boost source to T, line to actuator bleed line tothe bov return where the old one went. You haven't reused one of the old lines without taking out the restrictor?

Yep looks to be installed correctly. I have never had a boost T just used a needle valve and I could get any boost I wanted.

Have you undone the lock screw and screwed the adjuster in as far as it will go?

Have you checked that the ball and spring are in place?

Have you got a dud unit?

Does the boost T bleed air and if so is the bleed open and unimpeded?

Inserting a restictor into the line to the actuator should bring the boost up but watch out its not too much at once.

If you restrict the air supply to the actuator the boost should go up unless the actuator itself is faulty. You can test this by pulling the line off the acuator and then driving carefully and watching the boost gauge - it should go to 25psi this way although you only want to see it go to 10 or 12. If it does you have a problem with the boost T