SAU Community

Instrument Cluster

Davee

My instrument cluster back lights have stopped working and seeing my warranty is out of date by 4 months i called up north-side Nissan to see if they would cover it? They wont cover it and to buy a new one it costs over $3000. Europe and North America are very aware of this common problem with the instrument cluster and will cover this problem for 6 years from the time sold.

Check the link down below.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-abxlVDvzPO0/TwsrFBtntqI/AAAAAAABAT4/Loco-dHAlow/s1600/cluster.jpg

Whats also interesting is that people that have had it replaced have had the same problem come up again. Some people have had there clusters replaced over 3 times!

So whats the go if i paid them $3000 or so to have it replaced only to have it play up again further down the track and still not have it covered under a warranty.

It looks like they replace there units with other ones that were made around the same time. Spare excess inventory?

So if they fixed the issues in 2012 or so with the new design instrument clusters they wont send them out but rather ones made in 2009 with the same problem. WTF!

Also i found a web site that sells OEM parts in north america and the cluster is only $1900 US. So we get f$%ket over 2 ways.

http://www.nissanpar...mponentsIndex=2

Edited by Davee

i recently had my 2009 cluster replaced (with 1 day of warranty left to go). They put in a new cluster (not a 2009 spec) with the reverse beeps etc.

Would you not get at least a 12 month warranty for a new part (fitted by them)?

Anyway, a little birdie told me if you write to Nissan to complain (about the part not being covered, even just outside of warranty) you might get the part replaced free.

give it a go.

otherwise i would follow the DIY threads on various GTR forums to replace the LED's yourself, PITA but at least doable?

the cluster is a very common problem

i would write to Nissan based on the fact it's an already aknowledged issue by Nissan North America

keep in mind a US spec cluster will be in mph. Not sure whether the dealer will need to flash it with your existing mileage etc, and there may be compatibility issues there - electronics on these cars are very fussy, we have to use Aus specific tpm sensors even

Can you get one from the UK? They have the KPH in big writing and MPH in small don't they? If you're going to buy a 2nd hand GT-R in this country you may as well buy one that's out of warranty so you need not bother dealing with those f-wits at Nissan Aust.

Edited by GT-R OZ

Yeah even with warranty I find dealing with Nissan Australia a PITA. Best bet is to source overseas which should be a bit cheaper. Or you could DIY like you said.

This fcuks me off TBH. The US cars have the same issue, all 2007, 2008 and 2009 owners got a letter extending the warranty of the cluster to 5 years to cover this issue.

Nissan effing know about it, and to not cover a car 4 months out of warranty is bl00dy ridiculious..

Edited by Wardski

As per what domino say i reckon i well worded email to nissan au hq may get you to part installed. Perhaps suggest it's unsafe at night because you cannot see your speed etc. and the overly onerous procedure to acquire the part from a third party.

Don't forget the cluster will need to be programmed for the km's travelled too. When my car was done, the part had to a) come from Japan to aus, then b) i had to provide evidence of kms travelled thus far (with estimate of weekly km's travelled) then c) cluster was sent to new york for programming and sent back then d) finally installed, installation of cluster needed to be overseen (in person) by officer from department of fair trading. The whole process took about 4 months.

IMO your best/eastest option is to find the DIY on the NAGTROC forum which shows how to remove the cluster, then send it to someone who knows how to swap out the faulty LED's

Edited by LSX-438

Mine goes in Wednesday for them to look at the Dash cluster and the Flywheel housing. Both TSB's in almost all countries except Australia. My car is now out of warranty. They have advised that they may still replace both items but will need Nissan Australia permission. I can assure you that if they do not replace both parts free of charge I will get REALLY pissed off and wont just stop with a strongly worded letter to Nissan Aus. I will keep you posted.

FYI the flywheel housing replacement is around $6000 for Nissan to do it and they had one being replaced the day I rang up to book in. So they know it's a problem.

Edited by g35me

g35me, what's the noise you are getting from the flywheel? Rattle on idle or acceleration from standstill?

Mine is going in for another check on Monday. The tech had a look at it last week and sent sound clips to Nissan Australia.

I have had the flywheel rattle from pretty much new but it has got a lot worse over the last 3 months. Funny enough just after the car ended warranty it got significantly worse. I have it at idle and under slight acceleration in forwards and reverse. I have a video clip of it at its worst which sounds like a rattling exhaust comming from the rear of the engine. PM me your phone number and I'll text it to you if you want. The degree of noise changes daily, sometimes it is ok and other days it sounds like your driving an old Falcon.

The Bell housing replacement is easily diagnosed but the rattle sound isn't the 100% diagnosis. You have to drop the under body panels, take hold of the shaft and if it moves side to side, its fcuked. If it only moves forwards/backwards thats supposedly ok (willall have spacers to fix this but I'm not convinced it needs them).

Mine is as rattly as the next GT-R, but only after its warm - at idle at the lights or in P or N.

PM'd you my number

Mine is getting worse too. According to Nissan, they will take 4 hours to diagnose the issue lol. I will be taking my car another reputable workshop this week as well as a precaution.

Does yours sound like this? Mine is close to 2 times louder which is embarassing during start/stop traffic and when trying to park. Normally I wouldn't be fussed but it is getting louder and it wasn't there 2-3 weeks ago which was around the time it went in for service

Edited by ecl

Hey dude, I own a Nissan S15 (Two Guys from Tokyo Initial D Edition) and I have had no such problems with my instrument cluster.

The cluster is 11 years old (it is the stock standard cluster) and it still illuminates 100%. I also don't have any flywheel rattle and it is still the stock standard flywheel.

Hey dude, I own a Nissan S15 (Two Guys from Tokyo Initial D Edition) and I have had no such problems with my instrument cluster.

The cluster is 11 years old (it is the stock standard cluster) and it still illuminates 100%. I also don't have any flywheel rattle and it is still the stock standard flywheel.

Wrong car..... Wrong forum

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH......