SAU Community

New Headlight Plastic And Clear Indicators

tchard

Hi all,

My current headlights look a little dated cos they're cloudy and not sparkling like they used to.

i'm also looking for clear indicator lenses (possibly white fog lights too).

I think this will seriously improve the look of the car and something I really want to do.

Is it best to source new plastic for the headlights so it's brand spanking? Anyone had experience with this?

Not having much luck finding any new ones.

I had this problem on my 33.

All you have to do is get metal polish and rub down your headlights with it. It will clear them right up. Obviously its not a permanent fix, but then again getting new headlights isn't permanent either.

The clouding/yellowing of your headlights comes from oxidization basically the water hits your headlights and dries up leaving a residue/rusting the plastic. Once you cut and polish it, it goes away for awhile say a year or two then just do it again. Simple, easy and cheap way to fix it.

Don't waste your money on new headlights if you don't have cracks in yours.. unless your printing money, in that case send me some haha.

I had this problem on my 33.

All you have to do is get metal polish and rub down your headlights with it. It will clear them right up. Obviously its not a permanent fix, but then again getting new headlights isn't permanent either.

The clouding/yellowing of your headlights comes from oxidization basically the water hits your headlights and dries up leaving a residue/rusting the plastic. Once you cut and polish it, it goes away for awhile say a year or two then just do it again. Simple, easy and cheap way to fix it.

Don't waste your money on new headlights if you don't have cracks in yours.. unless your printing money, in that case send me some haha.

I'll take some too :)

But yeah they are correct, polishing works a treat and is simple. What I have also done in the past which gives a even longer term answer is given them a light sand then spray a Quick clear coat over them, that gives them an awesome long lasting shine (sounds like a tooth past ad)

it depends on the level of oxidisation as to whether the lense can be saved.

meguiars do a headlight restoration kit, seen it done on an r34 and looks good

i did a DIY version on my v35 - 1000 then 1500 grit wet rub with soapy water, plastic polish, then plastic protector. apart from needing to repolish the headlights once a month, its perfect.

tried both techniques on a 2003 holden astra - fail. those could not be saved.

The worst thing about those kits are the fact that most of them dont have a UV protectant which i whatcuases the oxidisation and yellow in the first place.

Great product from invision: headlight restoration kit, $40 from autobarn and some other auto retailers, comes with all the right sand paper, chemicals, cloths, gloves and the UV protectant.

My V35s headlights were yellow as when i bought them, dealer buffed them to clear and within another week they were back to yellow. Tried this product after being recommende it from a fellow V35 owner and they have never been yellow since.

The maguires one is crap to be honest. Cleans them up and turns yellow a fortnight later its also ironic that i has a picture of a V35 as the demo car on the bottle.

Edited by Howaitonaito

Looks like I'll head down to Autobarn or something similar.. Headlight resto will be interesting!

Do you need to take the whole lens out? Or is just the exterior that needs the work??

• 8 months later...