SAU Community

Uregent Urgent R33 Rear Caliper Question

Sorry but this is a very urgent question. I am in the Classic Adelaide Targa tarmac rally next week and have just discovered a serious issue.

I have R33 GTR turbo rear calipers on the rear of my car. The caliper body is hitting on the rim without me realising (wheels put on by others whilst on a dolly so nobody realised!!). How much can I grind off the edge of the caliper body in the area shown in the attached pic (ie the edge of that roundish bit)? I really need to remove 3-4 mm.

post-74009-0-52598100-1345181338_thumb.jpg

Has anybody done this or pulled one apart and knows the answer?

Hi mate, a much easier answer would be adding a 5mm slip on spacer, unless your wheel nuts will be too short.

I've taken 2mm off a caliper before for a similar problem and got away with it, but 3-4 would be really pushing your luck unless someone has done it before....afterall do you have a spare if you stuff this one?

BTW....good luck!

Buy a spare and see how much material you can remove before hitting the fluid. I would guess the calliper is pretty thick at that point, you should be fine. It is only fluid pressure you would need to worry about imo as it isn't near the mounting point. That said, Duncan's idea is the better option.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Hi Gents, Someone I know (experienced engine builder) built an engine. It had some chinesium rods that came with ARP 2000 bolts. One failed on the dyno, destroyed the whole thing. The only possibilities are: Installation error. Possible, but we should discount it almost 100% because he knows what he's doing. He doesn't discount it that much, because he's being hard on himself. QC/QA problems with ARP products. I'd like to discount this, but I have heard a number of stories about similar failures, and stories of some builders buying 2 sets of everything, x-raying everything, and picking only those bolts that they are completely happy with. This behaviour coming from anecdotal stories of ~1% failure rates. 1% of all rod bolts failing would be about 1000x higher than I would expect to be anywhere near tolerable. If I were ARP I certainly wouldn't even be selling the product if they were dying at that rate (for non-installation error reasons). So, I would prefer to discount that possibility too. Fakes. Specifically, fakes being sold bundled with cheap rods sets from CCP factory B in Shenzen, or wherever the stuff is being made this week. So the question here is, does anyone else have some horror stories that would point to fakes being circulated in this manner?
    • I forget this is an au website, my GTR FS5R30A was 2200 AUD delivered but I did have to go to a warehouse near the port to pick it up myself.
    • Excuse for an epic road trip?  I expect a few people would be thinking of doing that given the price.
    • That's tempting to me, but I don't know how to not f**k you around, given I'm interstate.
    • I've got a R33 turbo box I don't need if you're interested. I only ran it for a couple of track days and on the dyno before going sequential. In Melbourne, $1500 if you don't stuff me around.